I know this is off topic a lot but please read this to be aware of the kinds of people that are out there selling animals. I wrote this on my blog for my recently passed pet. This could have been prevented had the previous owner properly cared for her pups. Unfortunately this story is far too common.
Thankyou so much to anyone that read it.
I write this with a heavy heart, but I feel that even if no-one ever reads it I need to tell his story.
Cookie was my puppy, we got him last week and initially he seemed in good health. We picked him up on Sunday afternoon. It was my partners birthday and so it was a nice family outing and he was so excited for this puppy.
On the drive home he was shakey and a little nervous but after a while with some gentle reassurance he settled into my lap and nodded off to sleep with the occasional wag of his tail.
My daughter was instantly besotted with him and just so happy to meet him. They hit it off straight away. The first days were lovely, filled with laughter and happiness, we all loved him. The bond you get with a pet is so special, an instant spark of friendship beyond any selfishness.
By day three he seemed a bit tired and off his food, we assumed initially this was jitters as he was in a new home but we watched him carefully. He was still very cuddly and affectionate but his eyes had taken on a sad look and I was a little worried.
By day four he was getting weaker and not feeling like doing much, he spent much of his time wanting to sleep and be alone and was starting to show signs of depression and anorexia. We were very concerned, we had developed such a special bond so quickly and were terrified that our little man wasn’t feeling good and it looked bad. My partner took him off to the vet as he was vomitting a little. Cookie came home that night, he had tested positive for gastro and they had been out of Parvo Virus tests but assumed with gastro his sickness was normal. They medicated him, sent him home with hydration supplies and medical grade food and told us he should start to pick up but to come back the next day if it didn’t. That night we gave him some water with the syringe and tried some food but he wasn’t interested, we put him to bed and then waited till morning.
By day five he was sicker, we woke to vomit and faeces everywhere, he was weak, depressed and tired. He had faded through the night and was not doing good, we gave it some time to see if he was overcoming it and then my partner was off to the vet again, as he walked out i stopped him and petted my little boy, he looked up at me so sad. That was the last time I ever saw him.
My partner got cookie to the vet and they re-tested him. Parvo virus, he was deteriorating so rapidly that it was agony for him and there wasn’t much chance. With much sadness we chose to end his suffering. This has gutted our family. We have grieved as we would a child and it has been terribly traumatic. I am finding it hard to understand and feeling cheated.
IMMUNISE YOUR DOGS! (the previous owner had neglected to immunise him properly against parvo, this is the worst thing for a dog and the vaccine is critically important!)
The cost for the future-
Our house is contaminated, as humans we are fine, but to bring another dog in could be too risky.
We lost a friend and a member of the family, he was a fantastic pup and I personally am so overcome with grief. Cookie could have been saved had his previous owner cared for him properly. They say animals choose us, but they dont choose cruelty and carelessness, they are there to be nurtured.