Sign in to follow this  
Megz

To all the mums out there!?!?

Ok so I have an 8 year old girl, she's very smart, very involved in all aspects of my life she is well above her age, I guess that comes from me being a young mum and having such a close relationship with her for the first 5 years of her life I was a single mum.

Here is my dilemma- I promote honesty in our house, we (3 of us) sit down regularly and talk about things that are happening or each others feelings and generally just communicate everything. Obviously my partner and I keep her protected from life issues eg money or bills or arguments but we also like to make her aware that everything isn't always roses. She's very conscientious of her surroundings and other people's situations and feelings so I think we have a great balance with the way we raise her.. But-

Point is- who out there told their children their decision to have a breast enlargement? Is it the right thing to do or will it give my girl a perception on she should get her boobs done becoz mum got hers done? :/ it's a hard one for me because I'm sure she'll notice, and I don't want to make her feel like its a "bad" thing or a big "secret" but I'm just worried that even if I relay it to her that its my personal feelings about my bombs being saggy and flat after breast feeding, and it's just for my own happiness- A: she'll get a complex later on in life if she ever has children. Or B:she'll end up having body issues which most girls get but I don't want to contribute to it. 95% of me says just talk to her and explain things and keep coaching her through life- but another part of me thinks am I setting her up to fail this may be one of those things that are just to big for her little shoulders :( hmm... Any advice or experiences would be great girls :)

I didn't tell my kids until the day I came home from hospital. The hardest was telling my 13yo son because I didn't want him to think differently of me. I explained to them my reason for choosing the surgery and how I have always not felt good about that aspect of my body. I was actually surprised at how well it went. I gave them the opportunity to ask me plenty of questions which I answered honestly and asked them to not discuss it with anyone else and if they wanted to talk about I was willing to. Since then they have asked me a few more questions and they have been really good. I don't believe you are setting her up to fail at all.

I also have an 8 yo daughter and 10 yo son.

Thank you :) this is very reassuring for me to hear... My gut instinct says talk to her about it. Xx

I didn't tell my kids until the day I came home from hospital. The hardest was telling my 13yo son because I didn't want him to think differently of me. I explained to them my reason for choosing the surgery and how I have always not felt good about that aspect of my body. I was actually surprised at how well it went. I gave them the opportunity to ask me plenty of questions which I answered honestly and asked them to not discuss it with anyone else and if they wanted to talk about I was willing to. Since then they have asked me a few more questions and they have been really good. I don't believe you are setting her up to fail at all.

I also have an 8 yo daughter and 10 yo son.