Sign in to follow this  
KiKi.C

GP Referral for revision surgery

I just got off the phone with my surgeons secretary and she booked in my surgery for the 6th of February. She also informed me that I would need a referral from my GP. Im confused as to why I need to do this when I have had an appointment with my surgeon about my revision already. I'll have to have an appointment with my doctor for something I have already discussed with my surgeon. It sounds like a waste of time and money to me.

Hi Kristy, I think for revision surgery, sometimes you may be able to make a claim through Medicare or your private health fund. But I have heard they need GP referral. Is your revision medically necessary (e.g. cc or leaking implant etc.) Or elective surgery (going up a size)? Maybe call back the surgery & ask the receptionist why you need a GP referral? Fingers crossed you may get money back from Medicare!

I know when I need to see my surgeon from now on I need a new referral from my GP as my current one was only valid for 12 months from the date he wrote it for me. my dad said you can ask for an open ended referral so you don't need one every year you may need to see the surgeon for a check up

I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday. My surgeons secretary didn't really answer my question when I asked about it she just said to post it when I had it, the hospital will post out their forms and remember my bra! I can imagine they would be pretty flat out today after being closed for the holiday season!

Well that's no good!

Are you replacing the implants? Iwantbigboobies has just booked with your PS and she's getting Cereforms through him (less then 1% CC rate), if you do exchange implants you should look at that as the revision rate on revision patients is something like 40% (we are doomed from the outset).

Not that i'm biased or anything :D

I have decided to just have the one implant changed, I would however like to get both done but seeming he is doing me a huge favour by waiving all fees when I didn't have private health insurance, I don't think it is the right time to upgrade. I have been researching different insurance companies and have narrowed it down to a few and getting it by the end of the week.

I was just talking to iwantbigboobies, she sounds happy with the outcome of her consultation. If I do develop CC again I will be giving cereforms a go for sure.

I went into crazy saving mode after my BA and was determined to have my own house by May/June this year and thought nothing should go wrong in this year I'll be right. Worst mistake I have made! We just about have our deposit, insurance time!

I can't want to see them too! He does amazing work and his aftercare is remarkable!

I do know that GP referral letters only last for 12 months so maybe your referral letter has run out? You need the referral letter to be able to claim back money through medicare. Being a revision I know that you are eligible for a small portion in removing and replacing your implants. I didn't see if you had complications or not but if you do you will get even more back. Did you supply a referral letter when you first saw your surgeon?