Frankie74

Another newbie, Medicare question??

Hi ladies ?

I'm very new to all this including this site, looking forward to reading all your stories!

Well I'm going to see the surgeon on the 25th Feb with a referral from

my GP for a TT and a BL for chronic back pain.

does anyone know if it will be covered by Medicare (well the parts they do)

Thanks heaps

Frankie

Hi babe.

I'm not having a TT or BL but I am ha I g a BA and Medicare did come to the party for me because I had a "congenital" reason for it. I got item codes for it and it all needs to be approved by your plastic (can't be a cosmetic) surgeon first and then you get money back. I'm getting $1255 for a BA :) hope that helps

If you have private health insurance the hospital stay and theatre fees of your tummy tuck are covered (that's what I have been told). With the breastlift part the surgeon has to take photos and send them in to be approved. I personally think that is a joke. If the surgeon says a breastlift is required I think that should be enough to get the rebate. If you don't have private health insurance for the tummy tuck you do get a small rebate but it really isn't much. I was told by one surgeon $13K for tummy tuck with private health insurance and $19k without. I was also told by my redo surgeons secretary to make sure I do have private health insurance as the hospital stay alone is almost $5K.

Oh my really? Send photos in?? That's a bit extreme isn't it? Privacy doesn't mean much does it?

I might ring them tomorrow as I like to know, and maybe get the ball rolling a little.

What about if I have the all the proof of the arthritis in my spine??

It's all to hard ?

The Plastic Surgeon will let you know what you are covered for including how much Medicare rebate (if any) you will get. You'll find this out at your consultation.

if you don't qualify for a Medicare rebate then you won't be able to claim your Hospital fees through Private Health insurance as PHI only covers where a Medicare rebate is paid out (it's in your Health Insurance policy).

For example: I had to pay $10,500 to my PS which included the Anesthetist and Theatre Nurse fees, but I can claim almost $2000 back from Medicare as I needed extensive Muscle Repair as a part of my TT. As I had a Medicare item number then I was able to claim all of my Hospital Fees through Private health insurance (except for my policy excess of $500). My hospital fees otherwise would have been $3500 on top of the PS fees.