Sign in to follow this  
Bozogirl23

Chest pain pre op

If I've somehow pulled a muscle in my chest, will that in anyway cause conflict with my BA in 5 days time?

PS is closed until Monday and that's when I have to be there ready to go.

Been having chest pain and left arm numbness, pain etc sporadically for a couple of months , I think it could be related to either the extreme tenseness in my shoulders/neck and the pain is referring to my chest or I've actually pulled a muscle. I don't work out or anything so I don't know how that could of happened unless you count falling off the bed after my 40th a couple of weeks ago lol

I don't really want to mention it to the PS on the day of surgery because everyone freaks out when you mention chest pain and they will want me to have tests to check my heart and I can't bear the thought of having to postpone getting boobs!

I know you don't want to hear this but I think you should tell them especially because you are experiencing chest pain and left arm numbness. You could put yourself at risk under anesthetic if you don't. If they are aware they can at least prepare themselves. When they do your pre op check in they will ask you questions about your health history as well. The other alternative is you can go see your local GP before your surgery and get the tests done before hand. They will probably do an ECG (which they can read straight away) and a blood test. At least it will give you peace of mind. Irrespective of surgery or not chest pain should not be ignored

Is this left sided pain and arm numbness by any chance?

Yep, it's on and off but the last couple of weeks it's been getting worse. I had a massage 3 weeks ago and they worked my shoulders so hard that deep breaths and yawning was agony for easily 2 weeks after (nerve pain shooting into my neck). The chest pain is just at the top of my left boob, can't be a heart attack they don't go for months :) I smoke no lectures please :) but have never had any dramas (cough bla bla) I'm 99 % sure it's muscular, was just thinking how that would go if they are cutting into the muscle for BA.

Bah I just read the damn thread properly! Absolutely present to your GP tomorrow all your symptoms sound cardiac, get them checked out as soon as possible.

I absolutely agree. There's a couple of things you mentioned bozogirl23 that are concerning. The worst they can say is it's nothing.

ok hun, I am a cardiac patient and yes these are signs of cardiac BUT also in july 2011 I was rammed up my rear end on the logan highway by a lovely chap who was picking something up of the floor while driving anyways my point is, I suffered whiplash thoriac,lumber and cervical also perferrated a disc, but in saying this I suffered for months with pains like your describing that went down my arms and even in my feet, I had to do a lot of physio so it could be nerve also, but for sure as could be either get checked you have 5 days, go see your gp they will run a couple of tests and as I always say, better safe than sorry lovely. good luck and let us no how you go. oh and by the way in case you cant remember a couple weeks prior to my op I was taken by ambo to the pa with a blockage but my cardiologist gave me the all clear a couple days before surgery. so happy thoughts you will be fine for Monday. PLEASE GET CHECKED THOUGH...... you don't want to risk your health with 6 children depending on you hun.

While chest pain and left arm numbness can sound like cardiac issues, I highly doubt it has anything to do with your heart if the pain has been going on for so long. I know this because I've got my first aid training and I've been with my sister several times when she's had chest pains and panic attacks and every time the ambulance come/hospital do tests, they all tell her that if the pain has been going on for HOURS it's most likely not cardiac as the pain just doesn't last that long. If you are having these pains in severe amounts for more than 10 minutes then it is possible it could be a heart attack but if you've been experiencing the pain for weeks/months then I'd say it's muscular/skeletal related. I used to get a long of pain which felt like it was in my chest but it was actually my rib cage out of joint. Two visits to the chiropractor fixed it although I wouldn't recommend that so soon before your surgery. I think you should tell your surgeon about it. He'll probably put it down to muscular/skeletal and maybe give you some sedatives to take while you're healing to help the muscles to relax. Maybe if you can contact another surgeon before yours opens on Monday, they might be willing to give you their opinion? Best of luck for Monday, my BA . I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Wow, I rocked up to the hospital saying look I got chest and arm pain but I don't think it's my heart and I feel perfectly ok and a bit stupid being here... Nek minit, I'm in a bed, ECG, X-rays and a drip all done within 15 mins!!

Ive tried telling them about my muscles but they just say hmmm hmm hmm hmm grrr hate it when they don't listen. Hope I'm not here for long, it's my partners rare day off, I'm supposed to be home shagging lol

Not much, they don't think it's heart and I bit the bullet and asked what my lungs looked like (being a smoker I didn't really want to know but I do stress about it) and he said lungs clear etc yay, he wants to rule out clot (didn't want to hear that, the idea of one freaks me out) and I'm just waiting on results from ct - could be my nerves are trapped in my neck causing the pain. Left arm is caning, numb and cold, can hardly lift it, a bugger if it's muscle, no anti-inflammories before BA :( Hope fill will be out of here soon!