Sign in to follow this  
Rhyssa6

Post op clothing?

I'm having a TT at the end of this month and was wondering what clothes will be best for after the surgery. I normally wear shorts all the time but doubt they'll be practical. Will over-the-head dresses be okay (no idea if raising my arms will be a problem post op) or will I be better getting some button front dresses?

Also undies - wear them or go commando?

are you just having a tummy tuck?

i would avoid anything around the waist for a couple of weeks... so yes dresses are ideal..- no problems with over the head ones.. loose trousers/shorts may be ok.. but would need adjustable waistline as swelling can be an issue for the first couple of months

i wore undies and it didn't rub-or effect the incision line... don't forget there will also be a garment, and i didn't necessarily want to wash that every day.. so undies were a good plan..

good luck

Thank you for your reply tummytime. I'll need lipo as part of my tummy tuck. 6 children from 5 pregnancies left me permanently looking 6 months pregnant and then I had a hysterectomy last year. The hysterectomy itself went fine but 2 months later I gained about 5 kilos which left my stomach asymmetrical, flat underneath and huge. I was thinking more about the fact of having to bend down to put on undies or shorts than the rubbing on the incision line, although that's also a good point.

I found that dresses were great because the drains didn't get caught on the waist band but if I'm honest I just wore shorts most of the time. I found that the easiest way to put pants and undies on was to sit down on my bed and put them on that way. But seriously, there's really not too much that you can't wear post op so long as it's not tight and doesn't rub on your wound. Yoga pants, trackies, shorts, skirts, dresses... it's all good. I've found the compression garment keeps anything from rubbing the site anyway so I didn't have any troubles with it at all.

Of course it really depends on your swelling, my swelling in the first couple of weeks post-op was like my stomach measurement pre-op, so I was able to wear all of my normal clothing comfortably. But everyone is different and those clothes are now loose on me now that most of the swelling has subsided.

It was winter when i had my TT so I stuck with stretch yoga pants and a long sleeve top. I was a big sweller and these were super comfy. I didnt wear underwear the first 2 days, but once I showered I started wearing them again with no issues.

Good luck.