Sign in to follow this  
sia14

Lower blepharoplasty

Hi Sia,

I had an upper bleph done in 2011 by Dr Chartchai at Samitivej Hospital and was very pleased with the result. I was living in Bangkok at the time, and I knew of many expat women who had had procedures done by Dr Chartchai. He said the upper bleph would make me look fresher without being obvious, and that is exactly what it did. It got rid of a lot of excess eyelid skin, and though it left me with a small keloid scar in the crease in one eyelid, it really isn't noticeable once I wear makeup.

I decided to have the lower bleph done in late 2012, but really can't say that it made much difference. I didn't have bags under the eyes, but I had quite a lot of wrinkling that really bothered me. I have mixed feelings about the results. There is a slight improvement, but I can't say it was worth the surgery. Both procedures were done under local anaesthetic and I have to say that the needles I had, the lower in particular, were horrendous. Much worse than the procedures themselves. The upper bleph healed really quickly - in about 5 days most of the bruising was gone, however the lower bleph took much longer to heal - I still had yellow bruising 3 weeks later.

I didn't go through a company - I emailed the hospital direct and was booked in for an appointment. There is an expat lady working there who coordinates arrangements and is very helpful. Dr Chartchai himself is very pleasant and willing to take the time to discuss things. I think all of the big hospitals have arrangements in place where they recommend accommodation and provide nurses to check on you. A friend of mine from Perth arranged her rhinoplasty directly with a hospital, and was really pleased with the service and the result of her surgery. I met up with her on day 3 after the op - she was out and about shopping - albeit just for a few hours to start with, but the next few days saw big improvements.

I think the level of care provided by the top hospitals in Bangkok is excellent. I was once hospitalised with dengue fever and had excellent care. The ratio of nurses to patients is very high and the facilities excellent. I have been treated for various things, including outpatient procedures, in Samitivej, Bangkok Christian, Bumrungrad and BNH - and only have good things to say about all of them.