Sign in to follow this  
chacha

newbie here, Is it possible to travel with young kids?

Hi girls, been reading the forum avidly since I found it recently, and have now plucked up the courage to write. Am toying with the idea of a BA in Thailand, probably in Bangkok, but poss phuket???

After having 2 kids, I'd really like (...my hubby would too) to have fuller breasts. Currently a small C cup, wanting to go to a full D...or even DD. But first I have to sort our my terrible tummy, as my 2 children were both 10lb 5, and I have a bad separation of the muscle and a flabby ugly apron:(

I am planning to have some consultations in Melb first (for tummy and BA), then perhaps in the next 18 months (after having tum done in Aus) I'll head to Thailand for a BA!!!

Anyone gone to Thailand for a BA with family in tow? I'm not sure whether we can manage my two boys (prob by then 7 and 4) in a strange country after I've had major surgery. Do the cosmetic surgery companies cater for family's or just couples? The other option is to go on my own (not relishing the thought) or with a friend, but that's tricky as most of them are married with kids!

Any advise of travelling with kids would be great appreciated. Thanks for all your imformative stories and experiences, I'm sure it will all help me come to a decision.

Chacha

Hey there Newbie!

I was in the exact same boat as you - wanting a BA in Thailand and not wanting to go without the family so I booked a family holiday intending to organise the BA for when I was in Bangkok but then I started to read the forum and the recovery stories and realised I'd probably be a bit out of it for at least three days - where I couldn't walk much or for long periods so my husband would have had to have looked after the kids for all this time while I recovered. My kids were five and eight and I also realised that I wouldn't be able to piggyback my youngest or pick him up when he got tired. Also, my daughter has Asperger's Syndrome so when things don't keep her entertained she doesn't cope very well. So in the end I booked another trip for myself two weeks from now! And we just got home from our family holiday a week ago. All more money but I just felt it would be too stressful for me and the family to do it all together and my hubby wasn't keen on looking after two kids in Bangkok. So that's my story. I'm booked in with Bangkok Makeovers because, like you, I didn't want to go it alone. At least this way I'll be with other ladies going through the same thing as me!! And I'll keep you posted on how things go.:)

Hey thanks for the reply! How exciting....it's all happening in 2 weeks. How long from when you booked with Bangkok makeovers till the actual operation? Sounds like, with some of the other girls, it is quite a fast process, is this true?

Hope you had a great time in Bangkok, did the kids enjoy it too? My oldest son also has Aspergers (what a coincidence!!), diagnonsed 2 years ago. He's very tricky to deal with, but is now on meds for anxiety and is coping better (and so are we!), but still not what others would consider easy. We actually went on our a family holiday to Qld in June, and all went very well for a change!! I'm starting to feel a bit selfish and guilty for wanting this when my little boy really needs so much attention (and financial support with therapies etc), but then sometimes I think, well hang it I really need something for me. I'm definately going for the TT, just a matter of who and when, but the BA would be the icing on the cake.

Back to the BA, your advice is definitely food for thought, although I'm just not sure I want to be in a foreign country without my husband.....bit of a wimp really. My absolute dream would be that we could get away just the 2 of us, with my family to care for the boys.....but that will never happen sadly, they are too full on. We were thinking if we did go as a family we'd book somewhere that had a kids club, which would take the load of Hubby - and me while recuperating. Will just have to see. I'm a bit embarrassed to discuss it with my friends at the moment, but there are one or 2 who are single, and maybe they may like the holiday.

Who is doing your op? I've been toying with the idea of Dr P (can't spell his name!) or Dr Poomee. If we went to Phuket, I'd do some more research, but sounds like a few of the girls have had some good experiences there too. Phuket would definitely be a more family friendly place, and we could easily find a resort there with a kids club.

Anyhow, thanks again for the reply. Good luck with your surgery, keep me updated!!

Chacha

Hi cacha,

Weird coincidence that you're in the same predicament as me and your son has Asperger's! Your son may well be fine with you recuperating while on holiday but it's the one thing my daughter would crumble over which is why I decided to go on my own. I would've loved to go with my hubby but what do you do with the kids!? Also I would've loved to take my son because he's very sweet and caring and would've just been happy to tag along. But kids are sooooo different, you have to work with what you have!

You are right that Bangkok Makeovers is quick - I had my surgery date sorted out straight away and paid my $300 (BM's fee) and that was it - all good to go. To be honest I haven't been planning this for very long at all - only a couple of months - so I decided on a bit of a whim but I've been mentally planning it for years!

I'm going with Dr Preeyaphas because I've heard great things, read great stories and that is who BM deals with. Dr Poomee is head of plastics at Bumrungrad Hospital. He's about $1000 dearer but, to be honest, I would go with him if I hadn't already organised my surgery. I have not read one bad review and obviously, as head of plastic surgery at an international hospital, he just has to be great at what he does! I don't think he deals with an agency though. Apparently he has his own website and you get in touch with him directly I think.

The kids really enjoyed Bangkok too. Even though we were there during the floods and couldn't do a couple of the big things we'd planned, it was still great and my daughter loved it. We also went to Phuket which was also lovely and I think getting a hotel with a kids' club is a good idea - I kinda wish I'd thought of that! Duh! I'm pretty nervous about the surgery but I've been to Bangkok quite a few times so it doesn't feel too foreign to me which I think helps a lot. Also, apparently the aftercare at Rachel's apartment is great so I don't feel like I'm alone.

And I know what you mean about feeling guilty!! It kills me sometimes, I feel so selfish. But the fact is, if all goes well, it will all be over within a couple of weeks and I'll be home and everyone will be happy! But my son will miss me terribly - I am expecting tears on my departure which will make me feel even more terrible! But there's no backing out for me now - I will be home in just 3 weeks and 2 days from today and time flies so keeping my fingers that everything goes well!

Let me know what you decide to do and if you plan to take the family in tow. Good luck!

Hi Cacha

I don’t think there would be a problem taking your family with you. First of all your kids are not that very young.

About 6 weeks ago, I went to Thailand for my breast implant with my two sons, age 4 and 3 and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it will be. My surgery was on the 5th of October so we flew on the third and was in Thailand on the 4th around 8am. I had an appointment with Dr Poomee at 2pm on the same day, so we organize for a baby sitter for a couple of hours and went out to get the kids heaps of toys so that made them very happy. After we came back from the consult, we took the kids to Siam Paragon ocean world for the rest of the day. My surgery was 6am so we organize for another baby sitter to come in around 5:30 am in order for my husband to accompany me to the hospital, we got to the hospital at 6am and off they took me for surgery, I said goodbye to my husband and at this point I was very nervous, I realise It wasn’t a joke now, the surgery went well and only took an hour and a half, I wake up around 1pm and I ask to see my husband, they had no idea where we was but all this while he was waiting at the front desk, stressing his brains out, he said it got to a point that he thought they "ve chop me up to sell my parts, haha all this while the kids were back at the hotel with the babysitter, all you need is a family friendly hotel with babysitting services and a very supportive husband.

We spend two weeks in Bangkok, the first three days after my surgery dad and kids hang around the pool and the kids loved it, on the fourth day after surgery we went to the dream world with the kids, it was magic from then the holiday began it was fun fun fun. The kids are always asking to go back to Bangkok again. It was an adventure for the kid, they loved it.

Thanks Diana for sharing your experience, it does sound like it went perfectly!! Are you happy with the job that Dr Poomee did? He is one of the Dr I'm considering, so I'd love to know your experience with him. Did you get much after care?.....Mind you at the very moment I should be focusing on my TT, as after carrying two babies who were both 4.7kg each, my body is shot. I really need to address this to help my back etc. But I am dreaming of a bigger bust (so is the hubby!), so I'll keep on milling it over in my mind. I expect if I do get it done, it will have to be late 2012 or 2013 now, as I believe the recovery time for a TT is quite long.

Anyhow, I've looked into some family friendly hotels and it sounds like the idea is possible, with some extra help at hand.

thanks for the info and encouragment.

chacha

Wow Diana! Well done on your surgery story with the family in tow. It makes me wish I was taking mine with me! But I know it would've been too difficult with my daughter. So I've made the best choice for my family - hubby preferred it this way too but it still will be a bit lonely. However here's hoping I get to do lots of shopping to keep my mind off missing the family!

Hi Chacha, I'll be travelling with the hubby and children, aged 9 and 6 years in a few weeks time. We are staying in GHT's apartments which comfortably accommodate our family, with the added luxury of a maid who can also babysit when needed, apparently. The condo is in a great location, within walking distance to the public transport leading to the main shopping malls. This was important for me so I knew they would be able to get around all on their own whilst I am laid up in bed for a few days. As much as I want to go shopping also, I wanted to impact their holiday as minimally as possible so I guess they'll be busy off shopping for those few days. We also arrive in Bangkok a few days before the surgery so together as a family we can sightsee.

Diana, I was interested in your reply also. It's great to hear what you saw and where you went as a family. I've been to Bangkok a couple of times ( without the kiddies, and once with a baby) so our movements this time will be much different than the last. Last time it was all palaces and cultural interests which I'm sure would bore the children at this age.

On day three post-op we plan on moving away from Sukhumvit to the river where we'll chill out for a few days over Christmas in resort-like surroundings, yet still be in Bangkok. From here I guess we'll use the river boats to get around which will also be an eye-opener for the kids.

Way to go, Girls! I wish I could've worked around the whole family thing but unfortunately it could've been very bad so going it alone instead. Happy for you all though that you get to take the family - so much better with family! Luckily my hubby keeps reassuring me that everything will be fine which is helping me no end, otherwise I might even chicken out! I do like to be by myself though so I'll just try to enjoy the Christmas shopping while I'm there!!!

It my pleasure chacha, yes it all went together very well. Am very happy with the result, I can’t really fault anything, Dr Poomee is really good at what he does, he's very friendly and I love his little jokes. Yes the aftercare was great, the hospital room was very very nice, I had nurses coming in and out to check on me, it really was a great experience. Yes I also need a TT so badly but I decided to go for my BA before and maybe later will look in the TT. Wow 4.7kg that’s a big baby! Well done, you sure need the TT then, mine were 2.7kg and 3.2kg. It great when our hubby's are in support of us, it really does help a lot.

There are a lot of family friendly hotels in Bangkok, the hardest bit is choosing one as there are a lot to choose from, am sure the kids will love it! When are you having your TT done?

Wow Diana! Well done on your surgery story with the family in tow. It makes me wish I was taking mine with me! But I know it would've been too difficult with my daughter. So I've made the best choice for my family - hubby preferred it this way too but it still will be a bit lonely. However here's hoping I get to do lots of shopping to keep my mind off missing the family!

Thanks bigbapsahoy! yes I know, it really great if you have the family there with you, at least that way they know you are okay yet still I love the shopping idea haha and you just got back from your family holiday so I guess you won’t feel bad just wanting some me time for yourself :) everyone is different so am sure you’ve made the best decision for the family. When and where is your surgery?

Hi Chacha, I'll be travelling with the hubby and children, aged 9 and 6 years in a few weeks time. We are staying in GHT's apartments which comfortably accommodate our family, with the added luxury of a maid who can also babysit when needed, apparently. The condo is in a great location, within walking distance to the public transport leading to the main shopping malls. This was important for me so I knew they would be able to get around all on their own whilst I am laid up in bed for a few days. As much as I want to go shopping also, I wanted to impact their holiday as minimally as possible so I guess they'll be busy off shopping for those few days. We also arrive in Bangkok a few days before the surgery so together as a family we can sightsee.

Diana, I was interested in your reply also. It's great to hear what you saw and where you went as a family. I've been to Bangkok a couple of times ( without the kiddies, and once with a baby) so our movements this time will be much different than the last. Last time it was all palaces and cultural interests which I'm sure would bore the children at this age.

On day three post-op we plan on moving away from Sukhumvit to the river where we'll chill out for a few days over Christmas in resort-like surroundings, yet still be in Bangkok. From here I guess we'll use the river boats to get around which will also be an eye-opener for the kids.

Hi nikbri

Wow! Good on you for taking all the family with you, am sure the kids will love it. Yes we went and saw the sleeping budda but the kids weren’t very impress with that, although they enjoy putting the coins in the lucky pot haha.

The mistake we made was not moving away from Sukumvit to the river or even to Phuket once I was well to travel, am still kicking myself for not doing that, yea well I guess we live and learn :) we found a very friendly taxi driver that spoke very good English and we hired him on a daily rate we took us to the big market north of Bangkok twice, dream world, safari world, and the sleeping budda so the kids had lots of fun.

Let me know how it goes and of luck.

Hi nikbri,

thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have it all sorted. You must be getting very excited!! I am really thinking that 'yes I can do it'. It wouldn't be till end of 2012, early 2013 but I think with some babysittying help/kids club, we can do it. The last holiday we had the kids were relatively good, and they will be 18 month older by then. My hubby and I are now considering doing surgery in Phuket, stay for the week, then head for another week in Bankok when I'm feeling somewhat better. We shall see, it's all a bit of a daydream at the minute!

Best of luck with the sugery, I'm sure it will go great!

chacha

My surgery is 7th December. I'm quite nervous. I can feel swollen lymph nodes in one of my boobs which means I must have a mild infection somewhere but I feel completely fine. Still, it's worrying me cos I just want my boobs especially to feel normal!! What are the chances, eh?

Anyways, all your posts were very interesting. I wish I could have taken my family but my wonderful daughter freaks out at sick people or hospitals. And I mean, FREAKS OUT! So I have to keep telling myself I've done the right thing but my little boy doesn't want me to go and I know it will be a long 9 days for him and I'm expecting lots of tears at the airport! He's a real Mama's boy. But I just keep telling myself that two and a half weeks it'll all be over and I'll be home with boobies!