rockmelonmamma

Surgery day and anxiety.

I'm wondering how everyone felt on the day of their surgery, before going in?

I suffer with a little anxiety, and usually manage it with a healthy lifestyle, yoga and meditation, and I don't take medication for it.

I have adult braces, and when I went in to have them put on I felt a whole lot of anxiety - I don't even really know why.

I feel very comfortable with my surgeon and nurse, and I didn't feel any kind of worry on my consults - and I hope this continues on the day of my surgery.

I'm interested to hear about other people's experience's on the day - and how they coped with their anxiety, or if they had any? My surgery is six days away (tuesday 30th September)

Fear and anxiety before surgery is normal. Although I haven't had mine yet, I have had 2 ceasarians and that nervousness is your body's natural reaction. As with childbirth, you end up with something special at the end. If you are comfortable with your surgeon that the biggest battle won.

Good luck and remember you have a massive support network here.

I think it is a good idea to contact our surgeon and explain your anxiety issue and ask if you can take a small dose of an anti-anxiety agent with his permission. 

Then you can get a script from your GP and have it on hand. 

You can decide on the day if you need it or not. 

Then you won't be anxious about being anxious. 

Hi rockmelonmamma! I too suffer from anxiety and I told my surgeon I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before, he told me to talk to the anaesthetist which I did and he allowed me to take half an anti anxiety tablet (that I am already prescribed but only take when really needed) before bed to help me sleep. In the morning I was anxious but did my best to control it with deep breathing and practising mindfulness (being in the moment) but my fear was having a panic attack before being put under so when I saw the anaesthetist he asked me how I was and I said not good so he gave me something (I think it was called medazzlin I'm unsure of the spelling!) which really helped! I remember feeling so relaxed and talking about my daughter just before being put under. The next thing I knew I was waking up with awesome boobies! I'm so glad I was open and honest with them it made the experience so much more relaxed. Definitely talk to your anaesthetist Hun, everything will be fine! Good luck! :-)

Hi rockmelonmamma! I too suffer from anxiety and I told my surgeon I was worried I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before, he told me to talk to the anaesthetist which I did and he allowed me to take half an anti anxiety tablet (that I am already prescribed but only take when really needed) before bed to help me sleep. In the morning I was anxious but did my best to control it with deep breathing and practising mindfulness (being in the moment) but my fear was having a panic attack before being put under so when I saw the anaesthetist he asked me how I was and I said not good so he gave me something (I think it was called medazzlin I'm unsure of the spelling!) which really helped! I remember feeling so relaxed and talking about my daughter just before being put under. The next thing I knew I was waking up with awesome boobies! I'm so glad I was open and honest with them it made the experience so much more relaxed. Definitely talk to your anaesthetist Hun, everything will be fine! Good luck! :-)

Thank you so much for your comment, it's made me feel much better.

I think it's idea of a panic attack that has me worried too, I hadn't have one for years before that day at the orthodontist, but I think perhaps it was influenced by too much coffee, and sugar before hand. Plus I was running late for my apt. And getting there on time got my heart going.

I just sent a text to the nurse, asking if she knew if the anaesthetist will give me something on the day to help calm me - I'm pretty sure I must be annoying the bajeebers out of the poor woman with all of my texts, questions about everything, and my indecisiveness with sizes - but she usually texts back as soon as she can. I'm probably not the only one who's been like this (well I'm telling myself that because it makes me feel better).

I will definitely talk to the anaesthetist when they call too, I hope they're like your one was- and surely many people are the same with anxiety? Surely they would be prepared for our 'kind'.

If the anesthetist won't agree to help you, tell them you feel so strongly about the possibility of a panic attack that you will have to ask your GP for support if they dont feel comfortable helping you. 

Of course, you will share with the anaesthetist what your GP prescribes you.

Remind them that a panic attack in theatre is not something that any of them want to occur before you go under an anaesthetic. 

Stay calm and they should listen to the commonsense of that. 

Some assistants are so stressed themselves they can apply that to their responses. They have a legal obligation to pass all info on to the anaesthetist.

Just speak calmly and ask them to please pass the info on to be sure you are safe going in for your surgery. 

I will be taking a half a 30mg serepax when I have mine and the night before.

It can be chomped and swallowed easily with water. I will be taking my anaesthetist. Run it by the doc.

You're going to be fine because you are thinking ahead and being sensible and prepared.

If the anesthetist won't agree to help you, tell them you feel so strongly about the possibility of a panic attack that you will have to ask your GP for support if they dont feel comfortable helping you.

Of course, you will share with the anaesthetist what your GP prescribes you.

Remind them that a panic attack in theatre is not something that any of them want to occur before you go under an anaesthetic.

Stay calm and they should listen to the commonsense of that.

Some assistants are so stressed themselves they can apply that to their responses. They have a legal obligation to pass all info on to the anaesthetist.

Just speak calmly and ask them to please pass the info on to be sure you are safe going in for your surgery.

I will be taking a half a 30mg serepax when I have mine and the night before.

It can be chomped and swallowed easily with water. I will be taking my anaesthetist. Run it by the doc.

You're going to be fine because you are thinking ahead and being sensible and prepared.

Thanks, Sniff.

I do have a tendency to over think things, but you're right - having a plan does help calm me down.

I hope the anaesthetist calls soon so I can talk to him/her about it. I suppose they will have to to receive their payment.

I'll let you know what they say -I hope they just make it easy and agree to give me something on the day if I end up needing it.

Oh you are singing the song of my people. I was so caught up in the angst of surgery day I didn't even think about the post op phase, well certainly not as much as I should have given post op goes on far far far longer than the surgery.

I mentioned it to the anaesthetist when we met prior to surgery that I was anxious, I think they modified what they did in the surgery then as I didn't see my surgeon before hand, they brought me in and put me under VERY quickly and told me that they were just giving my oxygen and I then woke up in recovery. I am quite certain that they did this as I had expressed my anxiety. For me it was post operatively where they think my anxiety played a bigger role, my pulse/heartrate kept accelerating (tachycardia) and they weren't sure why, 3 ecg's later I finally told the night nurse that I had been very anxious about the surgery and she explained that this was likely to be the cause of the tachycardia.

In any case I do think the more people you can alert to the fact that you are anxious the more people that can help calm you and be aware that you might panic at any time. They can give you additional drugs or you could see your GP about something to take prior to surgery as well. 

I think having a plan in place would be a good thing, I have suffered a lot from anxiety post operatively and its come to a head this week, I'm out of my usual exercising routine and sitting around more letting my brain over think things, this isn't any good for me. In hindsight I wish I knew this might happen and I would have then put some plans in place for post op.

Good luck, remember the surgery is quick and I think the easiest part of this!

Oh you are singing the song of my people. I was so caught up in the angst of surgery day I didn't even think about the post op phase, well certainly not as much as I should have given post op goes on far far far longer than the surgery.

I mentioned it to the anaesthetist when we met prior to surgery that I was anxious, I think they modified what they did in the surgery then as I didn't see my surgeon before hand, they brought me in and put me under VERY quickly and told me that they were just giving my oxygen and I then woke up in recovery. I am quite certain that they did this as I had expressed my anxiety. For me it was post operatively where they think my anxiety played a bigger role, my pulse/heartrate kept accelerating (tachycardia) and they weren't sure why, 3 ecg's later I finally told the night nurse that I had been very anxious about the surgery and she explained that this was likely to be the cause of the tachycardia.

In any case I do think the more people you can alert to the fact that you are anxious the more people that can help calm you and be aware that you might panic at any time. They can give you additional drugs or you could see your GP about something to take prior to surgery as well.

I think having a plan in place would be a good thing, I have suffered a lot from anxiety post operatively and its come to a head this week, I'm out of my usual exercising routine and sitting around more letting my brain over think things, this isn't any good for me. In hindsight I wish I knew this might happen and I would have then put some plans in place for post op.

Good luck, remember the surgery is quick and I think the easiest part of this!

Darn, anxiety - It jumps from one thing to another about this whole procedure.

I feel ok about the recovery period, because being in the comfort of my own surroundings seems to placate me, and I tend to manage anxiety better. . but then not knowing how it will go for me (I read it cab be very individual, some recover easier than others) can be daunting -but something I've agreed with myself to just take it as it comes.

Initially, I was anxious about the surgery itself, but then it got better, and now I'm thinking about it again- but reading it's like closing your eyes for one second and then it's over has made me feel a whole lot better.

Maybe worrying about it is just today's worry - and tomorrow I will feel better. Maybe on the day I will be fine. But having a plan will definitely help with the pre-worry.

Thanks girls. Xox

Totally normal to have these kind of feelings. I suffer from anxiety too since being married to an emotionally abusive a**hole. I was having ruptured saline implants replaced and imagined so many negative scenarios, and I found that the sooner the date came the more anxious I became, then discovered that if I distracted myself with things I enjoy doing the time flew by and I thought about it a lot less therefore felt less anxious.

However on the night prior to my BA my darling hubby decided to put me on a guilt trip for getting a BA and talking about me dying during surgery so I ended up going in a nervous wreck. I cried all the way during my train ride to the hospital and the whole time while waiting to have my BA coz he made me truely believe I'd never see my kids again (been having lots of health probs for several months). This anxiety continued right up until the moment the wheeled me into the operating theatre. Once they got the drugs into me I felt totally chilled relaxed and was out cold. Next thing you know i woke up with nice big boobs and I DIDN'T DIE!!!! It fwlt like I was out for only a few minutes but that wasn't the case, we wirk ourselves up WAY too much and PS have been at it for yrs so we are in good hands chances of things going wrong are so slim you can't even take them into account really.

Trust your PS and ignore those little annoying negative voices in your head, you will be fine I promise. Good luck hun xoxo

good advise hun. I totally forgot about that. My anaesthetist for my 1st ba gave something to help me relax prior to my ba and it helped.

Good luck.

Totally normal to have these kind of feelings. I suffer from anxiety too since being married to an emotionally abusive a**hole. I was having ruptured saline implants replaced and imagined so many negative scenarios, and I found that the sooner the date came the more anxious I became, then discovered that if I distracted myself with things I enjoy doing the time flew by and I thought about it a lot less therefore felt less anxious.

However on the night prior to my BA my darling hubby decided to put me on a guilt trip for getting a BA and talking about me dying during surgery so I ended up going in a nervous wreck. I cried all the way during my train ride to the hospital and the whole time while waiting to have my BA coz he made me truely believe I'd never see my kids again (been having lots of health probs for several months). This anxiety continued right up until the moment the wheeled me into the operating theatre. Once they got the drugs into me I felt totally chilled relaxed and was out cold. Next thing you know i woke up with nice big boobs and I DIDN'T DIE!!!! It fwlt like I was out for only a few minutes but that wasn't the case, we wirk ourselves up WAY too much and PS have been at it for yrs so we are in good hands chances of things going wrong are so slim you can't even take them into account really.

Trust your PS and ignore those little annoying negative voices in your head, you will be fine I promise. Good luck hun xoxo

It makes me sad and angry to hear about low life pigs who treat women in that way. I'm sorry you went through those horrible experiences, and I hope you are happy - and only have people who love and respect you in your life now.

Thank you so much for your reassurance. Xox. Makes me feel a lot more positive - and you're right, I need to distract myself more!

I got a message back from the nurse who said I can be given something on the day - but I since I will be first in on the day, I will likely find I won't even need it :-)

Yay! First in!! So less time to stress!! I can't wait to just be on the other side now.

It makes me sad and angry to hear about low life pigs who treat women in that way. I'm sorry you went through those horrible experiences, and I hope you are happy - and only have people who love and respect you in your life now.

Thank you so much for your reassurance. Xox. Makes me feel a lot more positive - and you're right, I need to distract myself more!

I got a message back from the nurse who said I can be given something on the day - but I since I will be first in on the day, I will likely find I won't even need it :-)

Yay! First in!! So less time to stress!! I can't wait to just be on the other side now.

thanks hun.

yay first in thats awesome now you don't have to sit waiting anxiously for your turn.

good luck hun