Sign in to follow this  
DanniP

Activities Post-Op

OK so I know I'm not getting my BA until November and the end of November no less haha but I live a fairly regimented lifestyle and I've gone into planning mode :).

So I have a few questions I was hoping all you post op girls could help with:

I volunteer once a week for a few hours at a cat shelter. This involves some lifting, some reaching above my head, a lot of arm movement and possibly a lot of boob bumping (I wouldn't know at this point because I'm not in any danger of bumping my current boobs without shoving myself flat into a wall hahaha). How long should I take off from this? I ask because although it is volunteering I don't want to be more hindrance than help).

I work an office job during the week and will be back at my desk 7 days post op.

I have three Christmas Functions that I host for my work. They are on a boat and are the three Saturdays directly after my surgery. This usually involves carting a large box and bag around, reaching a lot etc. Should I give these a miss or am I being a princess?

I have a trip booked for around week 4, that will involve some four wheel driving, swimming etc - should I give this a miss as well or am I again being overly precious?

I am following my surgeons advice on physical activity like gym etc and limiting myself to only begin walking at week 4 and heading back into the gym week 6, so I can get the best recovery and result possible and I don't want to push it by then doing stupid things without thinking about it!

Anything that you can delay the return to is best, what my surgeon said to me was that for 1 week following surgery I had to rest for both the implants and my body's sake. I took it very easy and found that small trips out exhausted me. This took 1 week. At 1 week I feel I could have returned to an office style job. 
After 1 week I was allowed to resume walking for exercise (within the margins of pain), then at 2 weeks cycling and slowly working up. I found busy days with the kids where I just did a couple of trips up to the school and back again made my quite sore in that second week post op. Reading your description of your events I don't think it would be wise to be carrying boxes of stuff. I would be telling people about your surgery or feigning an injury in your pectoral muscles or back that means you cannot lift things. My doctors concerns were that the pecks are not used to holding an implant in place and any movement of them might aide in displacing the implant. Not a risk I'm willing to take. They told me to get my daughter who is only 2 to come to me at level and lift from my legs. 
I'm not sure about the four wheel driving at 4 weeks, I'd maybe check with your surgeon as it might depend on the type of placement you are getting, but I would plan on wearing both a surgical bra and sports bra to make sure those new assets are well strapped to your body. 

IMO it would be best to keep away from any heavy lifting, reaching above your head and even just plain reaching in any direction, as well as anything that may cause a bump on your boobs.

I had my ba last week and you just don't realize how difficult normal tasks can become post op until you come to do them. Sometimes the kettle feels too heavy to carry, you forget reach your arm out too far to reach something then your in pain for quite a while. Plus the meds can make you drowsy/bloated/not as energetic as you normally would and so forth. I'd recommend about 2 weeks off and maybe even longer if needed.

you just don't want to take any unnecessary risks and possibly jeopardise your health/your ba. Take it easy in the first few weeks because it's so very easy to overdo it as we use our pec muscles for just about everything.

I've been back at my desk job this week and while I am finding it ok to do most things I am getting tired faster than I used to. I've had to move a few things around in a store room and while I managed it wasn't easy. Driving is also not painful but my pecs and boobs are aching and swollen by the time I get home after driving for 20-30 minutes. I cant imagine what 4x4 or offroading would be like but I wouldnt suggest trying it.

Depending what kind of 4x4 it is, give it a miss. We do a lot of beach 4x4 and so lots of bouncing so I couldn't do that for 12 weeks.

As for carrying boxes, if it's anything like carrying a washing basket give that one a miss too. Any activity using your pecs you will risk delaying your recovery and causing pain, or you just may not be able to physically do it.

It's such a shame- they all sound like great things to be involved in!! But it's not for long and you'll have some new boobies to show for it.

Well this is true, I am thinking I should get into the Walking Dead - series to be finished in recovery :).

I also have a possible ski trip planned 7 weeks post op. I have said no to this, that was the right thing to do right? I won't be able to ski at that point will I?

I'd err on the side of caution if I were you.  :-)  Just think about how much money you're spending plus the tine taken off work!  Its worth being super careful to make sure you have the best chances of healing properly.