Sign in to follow this  
cj27

Surgery questions

Hey gals

Have any of you had to get a catheter (not sure how to spell sorry) 

I am a little worried about having to get one put in and taken out. 

When are they required?  How long does the surgery have to be when they put it in?

Do they hurt?

I have heard it can really muck up the ability to pee :unsure:

Im getting BL and BA - Dr Jib

Sorry for all my questions, I have never been into hospital and I get a bit squeamish lol - have to look away from needles etc.  I just don't want any surprises when I get there

thx ladies xo

I am not sure if you will need one I havent heard of it with BA has your surgeon said you will need one it will be personal preference or the nurse will give you a bed pan, cathetere can be painful I think I work In a nursing home and some residents complain some not

Hi I don't think I had a catheter when I had my BA but I did have one when I had a c section a tad uncomfortable when they had to take it out tho, in the question about peeing I think it only affects it if you have it in for a long time as in weeks for your surgery you will be fine I have no probs at all.

Im wondering this too! I have had a catheda before in another operation on my stomach, had it for a day or so. Was so good not having to get up to go to the toilet but getting it removed was pretty uncomfortable :( but I had no problem going to the toilet afterwards, I felt when I needed to go just like normal once it was out. Hope this helps! xx

Hi cj27,

I've just recently had a bl and ba a week ago at bangkok hospital phuket and I did have a catheter as with a lift your surgery goes longer and mine went for 8hrs.

That's not to say you will need one but just be prepared :) it didn't hurt at all and I'm actually glad I had one as I couldn't even imagine trying to get out of the bed or use a bedpan that first night in hospital!

Any other questions just let me know more then happy to share my experience x

Oh thanks girls :) you are all so amazing!

Budgie, thanks for letting me know. I bet you look amazing! I can't wait for mine :) If you don't mind me asking, why was your surgery so long? I am expecting it will take 4 hours... Also who was your surgeon?

Thanks again everyone

xo

I had 2 surgerys and I didn't have a catheter for either. I had breast implants first surgery and than a lift second surgery about 3 days later.

I would hate to get one but I think they only put it in if it's nessicarily or soemtimes it even depends on the doctor.

Even if you did have one, it wouldn't be so bad because the worst part of recovery the first day in hospital is how difficult it is to get up to pee. I had to keep calling the nurse lol

I had dr. Poonsak who was amazing and so thorough...In my case I had quite bad asymmetry and issues with my ribcage and I'm so glad he took his time as he's done such a good job!

Bet you can't wait :) I've only heard good things of dr. Jib and the hospital is amazing...your in good hands!

Just ask if you can go without one in your consultation :)

My BR took over three hours and I didn't have one and was able to get up to go to the toilet pretty much straight away :)

Not sure which hospital your at (I was at Piyavate, Bangkok) but the nurses are really flexible with what you need :)