Sign in to follow this  
Bec Bec

Pain relief

I have seen in many threads that Endone is prescribed for pain relief. Is the pain that significant that it requires such a heavy medication? Would pandadine be enough? I only ask as I have seen what Endone Has done to someone close to me and I'm scared about how I may react to it. I refused morphine after my c-section for the same reason. I am guessing ibuprofen is out of the question as it thins the blood causing more bruising.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Hun.

TCI gives you endone and panadeine forte.

After 24 hours or so you can start taking nurofen too.

I can't take the panadeine forte anymore, I literally spent all of day 2 throwing up because of it (painful). Everybody is different, you can't let how someone else reacted (or depended) on endone make up your decision. You are clearly already aware of outcomes and what you don't want, so I'm sure you will be strong enough to take endone :)

Thanks for all of your replies. I've seen a close family member under the supervision of a GP get hooked on Endone. Totally screwed them up for a year. Scared me off any type of narcotic pain meds. I got in trouble from the nurses and my obstetrician after my cesar for not hitting the special morphine button.

My own experience was that the pain was not that bad, immediately after surgery my head was spinning and my surgeon believes this was the tramadole, so I immediately decided not to fill out the script I had for that, I was also given endone in hospital post surgery and within a couple of hours of that the nausea built up so I decided not to have that. I can tolerate pain better than a spinning head and nausea. I used panadeine forte for 2 days and then just took straight panadol and nurofen. I didn't feel a yearning for pain relief but was told it was better to keep on top of it then needing it and playing catch up. 

wow this is a bit scary, I stopped the endone after a few days but am taking mersyndole which has codeine... I'm keen to get off it because of the bloating and now even more so after reading this thread.

I am currently taking two mersyndole night every 6 hours. I will try two panadol and see if that works. The mersyndole isn't stopping all pain. Today it really stings along my ribs under my right arm where I have a lot of bruising coming up.

Any advice appreciated.

Endone makes me incredibly nauseous so I think I'll have to just stick to pandadeine forte. Although could've been the fact I had brain surgery and my head was already spinning haha

JUST paracetamol? Are you wonderwoman? Id have crushed someone's skull on only that

I wish! :)

I didn't need anything stronger. Honestly, it was almost an anticlimax after reading some forum posts. The same with everything else like bruising, swelling and recovery time. I'd arranged my op so that I wouldn't need to go in to work for three weeks but, in the event, I'd have been happy to go back after three days. My job is mainly sitting on my bum though.

Same here quokka, I took panadeine forte before bed because I couldn't sleep otherwise (not pain just not sleepy from all of the resting) and panadol and nurofen other than that :) I was lucky though

I was told to take oxycontin but after feeling incredibly whoosy and nauseas from it I took nothing else on the day of surgery, 2nd day I had 1 panadeine forte in the morning and anti inflam at night, 3 rd day 1 anti inflam in morning plus 2 panadol and the same again before bed. Today just anti inflams and 2 panadol which I think I could have done without the panadol. Everyones pain theesholds and pain med tolerance is different. Try not to stress about it and just take what you feel you need. I think I could have done without the oxycontin but took it under doctors orders, so if you are worried about the endone I think tou will be just fine without it xx

I took Endone like they were M&M's

Only for the first three days, then only at night. My pain was unfortunately excruciating, and I have a high pain threshold, so I was just unlucky. Swapped to paracetamol after day 4, and Ibuprofen at about day 6.