Whitey

recovery gone backwards

Has anyone else had their recovery go backwards post surgery? The first few weeks I and my surgeon were very happy with the results but since then I feel my recovery is slow and that my results are almost going backwards.

Anyone else felt this way and can alcohol affect results in this way when I'm 2 months out. I've had a few big days in the last two weeks and wondering if it's connected.

I am sorry to hear your recovery is not going to plan at the moment. Have you contacted your surgeon about it? Sometimes it can take the body a long time to heal and even though I am not from a medical background, my personal belief is our body is more intricate than we realise particularly when we have gone under anaesthetic and had the body cut into. Maybe try to listen to your body's wisdom, meaning if you are craving certain vegetables or more thirsty be guided by that. But, I think if you are that concerned you should contact the doctor who operated on you. At the end of the day, you want peace of mind that everything is okay.

Pink, I'll definitely be speaking with my surgeon abd have sent him off some photos this morning.

Don, my scars have gone from being "perfect" according to the surgeon to very raised, red, angry and sore. They look horrendous

sorry to hear this Whitey. Def speak to ur surgeon and see what he thinks. Might be a stupid suggestion but can u try silitape on the scars? I have been using on my scars and find they are staying flat. also i use bio oil. xx Good luck and keep us informed.

Sounds like the scars are becoming keloid which some people are prone to after surgery. My scars started to become keloid. Silitape or silicone sheets like Cica or Scar FX can help with reducing keloid scarring. Do you have any pics you can post to show?

I was using silicone sheets by scar FX but they made me itchy so stopped. I've also been to the GP who said she didn't see any infection but that was 2 weeks ago and think they have gotten worse. Gf tried bio oil but it felt like it was burning my skin (sensitive little petal aren't I haha).

Here is a pic of how it currently looks.

post-11548-0-88349200-1412054010_thumb.j

Maybe your skin is sensitive, Whitey. 

It's weird how different people have different reactions to substances. Eg: my mum had a huge allergic reaction to dressings that have silver in them and are meant to make things heal quicker.

I suppose it is possible you had a bit of an allergic reaction to the silicone sheets. 

Your GP might prescribe some steroid cream to settle the redness. 

For myself, I use plain pure zinc cream on anything I am trying to heal and that works great for me. I find it soothing too. Maybe check first with your GP.

Yes, it looks like the scars are starting to turn hypertrophic or keloidal which is the bodies response to injury. My ex had keloids and the silicone does indeed help and I have a gf that was given something called Hemagel for her scars when she had a caesarian 2 months ago to help prevent that kind of raised scarring. There are several treatments for that type of raised scar most common being silicone sheets/plasters that press the scar tissue down and help to dissolve the lumps. I'd speak to your GP and PS and try several options to see if something helps. Good luck, hope it improves soon.

I can't use Bio oil either as it gives me a rash. I'd the silicone sheets don't work, the other option is laser or cortisone injections. Neither of which would be much fun. Can you try the Sili tape instead? It may be less irritating than the sheets.

Hi Whitey, give Strataderm gel a go. I started getting a raised, red scar and used it morning and night for a week and it changed completely and now looks like a normal, tiny, thin scar. You can get it from the pharmacy and it is only about $25.00. I hope things get better for you.

Linda still swollen and lumpy but been taking zinc chelate which I think had helped. Surgeon replied to take the following: You should avoid steroid injection and should not apply steroid cream on your scars. He recommends that you:

· Take oral antibiotic for skin bacteria for 10 days such as Omnicef 100mg 1 cap taken 3 times a day

· Take antihistamine such as Cetirizine 10mg 1 tab taken twice a day

· Take Arnica 2 tabs twice a day and apply Arnica cream on scars twice a day for 1 month

Follow his advice and redness will be gone within 2 months.

I read somewhere that massaging the scar can help to break down this thickening that sometimes occurs with certain individuals. I't worth a shot I guess, can't really loose anything by trying.

hope it resolves soon:)