Sign in to follow this  
Mum2908

Stressed surgery in 2 days.

Hi ladies. I fly out tomorrow for surgery I have just got my period I can't believe it this is what I was worried about do I tell them. Will they still do procedure so stressed no :-( anyone else been in same position xx

I emailed before I left just Incase I got mine ( I didn't get it ) but was told they can still go ahead as long as it's not too heavy. Doctors here told me surgery can be performed whilst u have it. I'm sure u'll be fine, maybe email ur PS just to give them the heads up. Good luck with ur surgery, how exciting for u only 2 days away

In Australia as far as I'm aware the surgeons all go ahead with surgery if you have your period, I'm not sure why some surgeons/hospitals O/S don't. I'd be telling your surgeon and making some comment that 'its not very heavy' or something to that effect. I know some people use tampons but I would probably get a really good thick pad or a couple of pads! 

Maybe buy those extra long pads so that when you are in a reclined position there is less chance of a spill. 

Another option is to put on one pad towards the front and another towards the back overlapping slightly, before you go into your surgery. You could practise beforehand. 

Apparently we have a tendency to bleed more when we have our periods (maybe the hormones make our blood thin out a little or something..?). I think the safest thing is to tell them. Maybe they can just move your surgery a day or so to allow for the worst of your period to pass. Good luck and let us know how you go xx