BellaJay

Brisbane Newbie - Booking Soon

Hi Ladies

Keen to get some feedback on the surgeons I'm considering for a BA.

I'm 165cm, slim build, 59kgs, kids x 1 left me with a deflated cup size...

I've had a consultation with both Dr Fleming and Dr Harwood and were two completely different experiences!!

Have heard great things about Dr Daniel Fleming and have no doubt he gets good results but found him to be very direct, confident and pretty much told me what I'd like before I even had a chance to say anything or take my top off. He was very brief with the information he gave in the consultation, assuming I'd watched the DVD and read the information provided in the info pack sent out earlier. He did 1 measurement from nipple to crease and felt the surrounding tissue. I tried on several sizes with Fleming recommending round, 345s, furry Brazilian, medium profile, under the muscle and through the crease.

I'm so glad I'd booked into see Dr Kim Harwood the following afternoon. Harwood's receptions was lovely and made us both feel at ease as soon as we arrived. To start the consultation he asked a lot questions about my lifestyle, type of job, long term family plans, fitness goals etc. He then went on to ask more questions about my BA ideal size answering a lot of questions even prior to doing any measurements. He spent a lot of time on measuring then recommended to start on a smaller size. In the end agreeing on 310s, high profile, under the muscle, nuance style teardrop, furry Brazilian and through the crease. This will give me the soft fall across the top, a little side boob with the oval shape of the nuance and bring me into proportion with my hips. Harwood explained I could be at risk of double fold given I actually only have 4.1cms from crease to nipple and the round would need 6.5cms. Most of the room in the tissue for me is on either side of my nipples and I'm short between nipple and crease. Harwood appeared to be very genuine but very honest in what he was recommending even indicating he wouldn't be comfortable with particular shapes and sizes for the look I'm after and to keep my body in proportion. I feeling extremely excited and keen to book in asap. Although... am considering getting a third opinion.

So, I'm also booked into see Dr Susan O'Mahony next month but haven't seen anything on forums about her work or many reviews in general. Anyone heard of Dr O'Mahony?

Keen to hear about your experiences with any of these three surgeons. Also interested in hearing about how you feel about the furry Brazilian's. I've heard they don't drop (I don't mind this) and have very little fluff... not sure what the 'fluff' is all about.. can anyone explain??

Recovery has been a concern for me but the more I read and we talk about it the better I feel...how have you found your recovery and when did you return to work?

Love reading your stories and following your recoveries

Bella

Hi Bellajay,

I had gone to two different plastic surgeons for the consults for a BA I wanted. But, I finally decided on Dr. Harwood for my BA after 5 years of researching, consults etc. I found him to be very warm, receptive and welcoming. My girlfriend who came along for support even commented later that she noticed he was actually looking at me and listening to what I was saying. I didn't find this with the 2 plastic surgeons I had seen for consults. No doubt Dr. Harwood does many consults with many women who ask the same questions but my experience with him was I felt "heard". I had my BA done recently on 22nd Sept and so still in the healing phase. But I am very happy with what he has done. I am also 165cm and 55kg.......and prior to surgery had an AA cup size after breastfeeding 3 kids in 5 years. I have gone for the nuance teardrop implant under the muscle and high profile.  Originally in the consult, Dr. Harwood thought 310mL size (or 310 cc). But on the day of surgery he decided to use a smaller implant of 270. He discussed with me that because of my narrow hips and also active lifestyle (I'm a gym junkie)..........and I had lost a kg since the consult, he felt the smaller implant size would better suit my frame. I am glad I listened to him. So I have gone from a 10AA to what he thinks is a 8C (my breasts are still settling in). My kids are 7, 9, and 12 so they are a bit more independent now. My two younger children are girls and so they have accepted the process pretty well. My eldest child is a boy with Asperger's tendencies so he was distant with me while I healed (I am his support person and he is not used to seeing me lying in bed/not being active) but now he is fine. I clean people's houses so I have taken 2 weeks off to heal. I go back to work next Tuesday so I know that I will have to take things easy and go to bed early each night as I know I will be stuffed! But I am day 13 of healing and feeling good. I am still sore particularly at night when I change sleep position, but nothing I can't cope with. For me, at the end of the day I just listened to my gut instinct with who to go with..........plus Dr. Harwood had many glowing reviews on this forum and other places I checked out. You will make the right decision that is best for you. My advice would be to not rush into it and do as much research as you can because this is your body and you want the right implant that is best for you. :)

Thank you Pink Butterfly! Congratulations!! How exciting for you and great to hear your recovery is going so well!! :) Good luck going back to work this week and hope it goes really well too! 

I felt exactly the same with Harwood.  I've not read anything negative about him yet and SO many Harwood girls on this forum! 

I'm currently sitting at a 10A/B but don't fill the cup and hoping for a D post surgery.  I'm going to organise another consult to go through sizing again taking one of GFs with me this time too.  I've researched a lot of surgeons and after quite few years of talking about it and sometimes feeling like it would never happen...I'm now massively excited to actually finally visualise having boobs!!!! I love the nuance teardrop look and with the oval shape will give me a bit of shape (side boob) to keep my hips in proportion.  Also a bit of a fitness junkie but blessed with bigger hips!  He feels I'd be able to go back to work after a week because I have quite a sedentary job with a lot of driving.  When did you start driving again?

A few friends have told me when you meet your surgeon you'll just now and 30 seconds into the consult with Harwood I never imagined I'd feel so comfortable. 

Look forward to hearing you go on Tuesday! :)

Thank you so much. It is exciting when you finally make the decision to make a dream come true. I had my BA on a Monday and stopped taking the painkillers and valium on the Wednesday as my husband was going back to work after looking after me. So, I started driving on the Friday but not too far - I just took the kids to a local park. I found I tired very quickly so it was nice to be out of the house for a bit, but also good to get home and rest. I am finding more and more that I am getting my energy back. Thanks for the luck for Tuesday - think I'll need it! :) All the best for your journey!

Welcome!

I am also a dr Harwood girl and knew immediately he was the surgeon for me... I have two friends that had theirs done with him and their boobs are spectacular so I went it already convinced I was going with him and he didn't disappoint!

Amazing surgeon and gentle during op too as all his girls have excellent recoveries.

Do send me a FR if you want to see his results I am very happy with it!

Welcome!

I am also a dr Harwood girl and knew immediately he was the surgeon for me... I have two friends that had theirs done with him and their boobs are spectacular so I went it already convinced I was going with him and he didn't disappoint!

Amazing surgeon and gentle during op too as all his girls have excellent recoveries.

Do send me a FR if you want to see his results I am very happy with it!

Thanks Linnie! Thank you for accepting the friend request :)   Checked out your pics and Dr Harwood has done a beautiful job.  Great to read more about your recovery too in your posts.  Definitely makes me feel a lot more comfortable about what to expect post op. :)

Hello !!! I am also Dr Harwood and am 3 weeks post op and WOW ! Amazing .... My biggest issue was being put to sleep so they gave me a local and let me stay awake which was my preferred option , now while this isn't for most people it suited me and that's what I loved the best about him . He does the best for YOU not the person before you or after you , I felt he really looked after me and my results are just amazing :)

Hello !!! I am also Dr Harwood and am 3 weeks post op and WOW ! Amazing .... My biggest issue was being put to sleep so they gave me a local and let me stay awake which was my preferred option , now while this isn't for most people it suited me and that's what I loved the best about him . He does the best for YOU not the person before you or after you , I felt he really looked after me and my results are just amazing :)

That's wonderful Lange!! I have read in a lot of posts that most start waking up just as he is finishing off. What size/shape etc did you go with?

Have decided last night to cancel the third opinion and book in with Harwood once I've gone back for another consult to talk about sizing. I'm really starting to think I'll go with the bigger size of the 345. At the time I was so overwhelmed with everything that I thought they looked HUGE!! Now revisiting the photos we took they look really natural. Excited!!

Hey Bella,  I am also a Dr Harwood girl.  I had 390cc nuance, dual plane, XHP, Brazilian teardrops.  I am almost 8 weeks post op.  I have had an amazing recovery and am absolutely thrilled.  Dr Harwood is fantastic.  I have only seen awesome results from him and I highly recommend him.  His follow up care is also really good as he is just so accessible.  Feel free to check out my photos.

Hey Bella,  I am also a Dr Harwood girl.  I had 390cc nuance, dual plane, XHP, Brazilian teardrops.  I am almost 8 weeks post op.  I have had an amazing recovery and am absolutely thrilled.  Dr Harwood is fantastic.  I have only seen awesome results from him and I highly recommend him.  His follow up care is also really good as he is just so accessible.  Feel free to check out my photos.

Congratulations Leigh! And thank you for accepting my FR! Great pics and wonderful result! I can see why everyone is so happy with Harwood! I can't wait to make the phone call tomorrow to book in. I'm curious... What was your experience like with the anaesthetic?

Hey ladies! I have a consult with dr harwood next week and was just wanting to know if I should take in photos of my ideal sizing? Or doesn't he look at them? What kinds of questions should I be asking? I'm so excited I've only heard great things about him. Any advise would be great. Sorry for hijacking your post Bella xx

Hey ladies! I have a consult with dr harwood next week and was just wanting to know if I should take in photos of my ideal sizing? Or doesn't he look at them? What kinds of questions should I be asking? I'm so excited I've only heard great things about him. Any advise would be great. Sorry for hijacking your post Bella xx

Hi Megann92

I took pics in with me which helped as an example of what I'm wanting to achieve. He definatley took the time to discuss with me what my expectations are, then we looked at pics followed be measurements then trying a few on for size.  I took a couple different tops with me - a racer back fitted singlet and one of my work t-shirts (they're a classic tailored tee) to give me an idea of what they'd look like under my clothes.  Ask as many questions as possible.  We took photos with the different shapes and sizes in.  I'm so glad we did this because at the time I thought they looked MASSIVE!  Now reflecting on the photos I'm happy I tried the larger size.  Everyone has a look in mind and Dr Harwood will spend time with you talking about what you have in mind.  He's so lovely.  Have fun!!

Hi Bella,

I am also a Dr Harwood girl, 5 weeks PO and cannot recommend him enough!!!

Dr Harwood is so accommodating to my needs. Because I work away onsite I couldn't make any of the Tuesday/Wednesday appointments and so he was more than happy to fit me in on Friday afternoons! I ended up going to 3 consults before picking my size and each time he was so patient and helpful and I am so happy with the result!!! I've also emailed numerous times and him or his receptionist have always replied in such a timely manner. 

Everything about the operation went smoothly. I was so scared and he put my mind at ease and before I knew it I was awake. Recovery was great. I highly recommend him!! feel free to add me for pics :) Will get around to posting more recent pics soon 

Hi Bella, Dr Harwood uses twilight sedation. It was so easy. I was laying on the table and they were buzzing around, talking,getting tthings ready. One of the nurses was hookibgr me up to things and chatting away. Dr H came over and said we are going to start soon Leigh and next thing I was sitting up with my jeans back on and the nurses were putting my post op bra on. I sat in the recovery room for a little while and Dr H bought me in a coffee and the nurse bought me in some bikkies and an OJ. It went so smoothly. I'd have twilight over GA any day

Hi Bella,

I am also a Dr Harwood girl, 5 weeks PO and cannot recommend him enough!!!

Dr Harwood is so accommodating to my needs. Because I work away onsite I couldn't make any of the Tuesday/Wednesday appointments and so he was more than happy to fit me in on Friday afternoons! I ended up going to 3 consults before picking my size and each time he was so patient and helpful and I am so happy with the result!!! I've also emailed numerous times and him or his receptionist have always replied in such a timely manner. 

Everything about the operation went smoothly. I was so scared and he put my mind at ease and before I knew it I was awake. Recovery was great. I highly recommend him!! feel free to add me for pics :) Will get around to posting more recent pics soon 

OMG Dee...one word!  Fantastic!  How happy are you with your boobs????  How did you go as far as your recovery was concerned? The first few days say day 1 - 5?  Were you up and about?  When did you go back to work?  Sorry 101 questions... :o :o

Hi Bella, Dr Harwood uses twilight sedation. It was so easy. I was laying on the table and they were buzzing around, talking,getting tthings ready. One of the nurses was hookibgr me up to things and chatting away. Dr H came over and said we are going to start soon Leigh and next thing I was sitting up with my jeans back on and the nurses were putting my post op bra on. I sat in the recovery room for a little while and Dr H bought me in a coffee and the nurse bought me in some bikkies and an OJ. It went so smoothly. I'd have twilight over GA any day

Thanks so much Leigh.  I've never had surgery so don't have any idea what to expect.  I have heard stories of girls vomiting a lot straight after surgery, drains etc.  From everything I've seen from Harwood everyone walks away with tape and their away.  What was your recovery at home like in the first few days?  Great to hear you had such a fabulous experience too! ;)

OMG Dee...one word!  Fantastic!  How happy are you with your boobs????  How did you go as far as your recovery was concerned? The first few days say day 1 - 5?  Were you up and about?  When did you go back to work?  Sorry 101 questions... :o :o

I am very happy with my boobs - I do have my days where I think they are too big and then other days i think they arent big enough LOL but overall i am happy with how they turned out. i dont think they look overly fake at all. he really does do amazing boobs!!

My recovery was surprisingly really good. I had minimal pain - except for morning boob in the first week was really bad just after i woke up but once Im up and about the pain seem to just have gone away. at times i found that my back pain was bothering me alot more than my boob pain! I took alot of valium during the first 2 days to relax my muscles and spent those 2 days mostly drifting in and out of sleep and only took painkillers at night to help me sleep through the night. i was able to wash my own hair and brush it the day after the op (only because my partner wasnt home at the time and i was sick of feeling gross) and was able to drive a manual car by 5 days post op (although putting it into reverse was a bit difficult). by day 3 i was going out for lunch and meeting up with friends although i did feel very tired at times.

in the second week, i went to NZ and went skiing at 11 days PO although i was very cautious not to fall over and took it really slowly!!! again the only pain i felt in the second week was morning boob and also my nipples got really sensitive by week 2 and so that made my whole boob hurt whenever anything touched it!!!!! i think that lasted until about week 4 for me and my nipples were on constant high beam!!

i was back at work after 2 weeks off and because my job is quite active i ended up feeling really tight and heavy around the chest area, but no pain moreso discomfort than anything. by this stage i think i was able to slightly sleep on my side. by the end of week 3 i think i was fully sleeping back on my side like normal and i cant really remember when the morning boob went away. i just woke up one day and it was fine. so between 3 - 5 weeks i think. 

I'm 5 weeks PO now and feeling pretty great!!! :) 

My recovery was surprisingly really good. I had minimal pain - except for morning boob in the first week was really bad just after i woke up but once Im up and about the pain seem to just have gone away. at times i found that my back pain was bothering me alot more than my boob pain! I took alot of valium during the first 2 days to relax my muscles and spent those 2 days mostly drifting in and out of sleep and only took painkillers at night to help me sleep through the night. i was able to wash my own hair and brush it the day after the op (only because my partner wasnt home at the time and i was sick of feeling gross) and was able to drive a manual car by 5 days post op (although putting it into reverse was a bit difficult). by day 3 i was going out for lunch and meeting up with friends although i did feel very tired at times.

in the second week, i went to NZ and went skiing at 11 days PO although i was very cautious not to fall over and took it really slowly!!! again the only pain i felt in the second week was morning boob and also my nipples got really sensitive by week 2 and so that made my whole boob hurt whenever anything touched it!!!!! i think that lasted until about week 4 for me and my nipples were on constant high beam!!

i was back at work after 2 weeks off and because my job is quite active i ended up feeling really tight and heavy around the chest area, but no pain moreso discomfort than anything. by this stage i think i was able to slightly sleep on my side. by the end of week 3 i think i was fully sleeping back on my side like normal and i cant really remember when the morning boob went away. i just woke up one day and it was fine. so between 3 - 5 weeks i think.

Perfect!  Thank you so much for your response.  This is what I was expecting but was really only making an assumption and the information I'd read.  That's brilliant you were able to travel so soon after your op.  I've taken 5 days off work - I have a sedentry job and auto car.  Dr Harward seemed very confident this would be enough time.  I'll be able to pace myself too.  I'm going overseas 4 weeks post op too for a pretty laid back trip (nothing particularly active) for xmas.  We have a couple recliners and Harwood recommended I try sleeping slightly upright in one of those for the first night if it's more comfortable.  I can't wait to go back in on Wednesday to talk about sizers.  I feel like I was being extremely conservative in my first appointment.  Now that I've seen everyones results and got a better idea of sizes I'm pretty confident I want to go for the larger sizes. 

I think you will be fine going back to work 5 days after :) only thing is you may feel tired from time to time which was how i felt at times.

after my operation i freaked and thought i went too big... but now at 6 weeks PO i am glad i picked the bigger size because at times i feel like they are too small!!!!!