Sign in to follow this  
Silver

Talking to the kids

I'm looking at having a BA early next year. Decided to have a chat with the kids about it today. 2 boys aged 16 and 12 and little miss aged 9. So just told them straight out what I was planning on doing... Then had a very proud mummy moment, when they just chatted to me about it, asking mainly how sore I'll be and how much help I'll need after wards :) just thought I'd share

That's fabulous.  I have 4 kids - 3 boys and a 10 year old daughter.  To be honest that 's the one thing I'm most concerned about (my BA is booked for one months' time).  I don't want to give my daughter any reason to doubt her own body or to think that bodies need to be perfect.  I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to discuss it with her.  She's a worrier, so I'm leaving it to closer to the op date, but have been planning the conversation for ages!

awesome news hun. I told my kids about my op too ( daughter 9 son 6 and daughter 2) I explained that in my case my breasts were damaged ( i didn't say it was from them lol) and that it would make me happy to have them back to what they were before. ( i used this way of explaining it to try avoid body image issues too) They really surprised me. My eldest was so supportive and counted down with me. And helped with housework and the 2 yr old. My son was happy for me and counted down coz he was getting a week of lunch order sandwiches pmsl and my 2 yr old just laughed and said boobies haha 

I'm looking at having a BA early next year. Decided to have a chat with the kids about it today. 2 boys aged 16 and 12 and little miss aged 9. So just told them straight out what I was planning on doing... Then had a very proud mummy moment, when they just chatted to me about it, asking mainly how sore I'll be and how much help I'll need after wards :) just thought I'd share

Thank you for posting this. My two are miss7 and master9. I haven't booked yet but looking at Dec. My biggest worry is how to tell them but also support them being happy and confident with their own bodies.

I've been trying to work out how to tell my kids too (17 yr old daughter, almost 14 yr old twin sons & 12 yr old son). I decided I would just be honest and told my daughter first - her reaction surprised me as they are always joking how I am so flat - she said she didnt think I needed it done (ok for her as she is almost a D lol). Explained my reasons and she is ok with it but like you IttyBitty I dont want tty o give her anybody image issues. Had a funny moment the other night when I was wearing mý sizers - one of my twins (who doesn't miss anything) looked at me as soon as I walked in the room and asked "have you got some push-up bra on or something?". I even had a jacket on and no-one else noticed. I just said yes but def need to be honest as they are going to have to help me out heaps. What size are you looking to get Bec?

I've been trying to work out how to tell my kids too (17 yr old daughter, almost 14 yr old twin sons & 12 yr old son). I decided I would just be honest and told my daughter first - her reaction surprised me as they are always joking how I am so flat - she said she didnt think I needed it done (ok for her as she is almost a D lol). Explained my reasons and she is ok with it but like you IttyBitty I dont want tty o give her anybody image issues. Had a funny moment the other night when I was wearing mý sizers - one of my twins (who doesn't miss anything) looked at me as soon as I walked in the room and asked "have you got some push-up bra on or something?". I even had a jacket on and no-one else noticed. I just said yes but def need to be honest as they are going to have to help me out heaps. What size are you looking to get Bec?

I'm currently a large A but try to convince myself I'm a B (lol). I'd love to go to a mid-full C look. I love the look of Kaley Cuoco's (the Big Bang Theory) augmentation. I haven't had my consultation yet (booked for Nov 3, Dr M) Hopefully booking surgery date this week, wanting an early Dec BA

I have 4 girls aged 4 to 11. My husband and I made the decision not to tell them. For all those reasons mentioned above, and also that at this young impressionable age, they may not know how to process the information properly and they may doubt themselves, even if they say they understand.

They have not noticed a thing. I would really like to tell them one day when I see the time fit, also I would completely support them if they decide to have a BA in the future. But for now, I don't want them to doubt themselves one bit!

I'm really struggling with this.  I'm having BA and TT at the end of the month and have mentioned it to the kids (as i'm going to be in hospital for a few days with the TT) and they have both said they really don't want me to do it (sorry to be blunt, but my 10 year old boy said "what if you bleed to death"  :huh: ) and my 8 year old daughter said i look beautiful the way I am.

Have to be so careful with young girls and I do really worry about how this comes across to her.

I'm thinking now, of not mentioning it again and just doing it.  Then telling them I hurt my back or something... I don't want to worry them!   

I think it's def easier when they are younger - I told my 3 boys about my BA this evening and they are ok with it. I needed to be honest as I'm really going to need their help with cooking, cleaning, washing, etc. I had a TT 9 years ago and it's really only my daughter who knows about it (boys were 5 & 3 at the time). You can say you need it to repair the muscles which have not come back together after having babies than for just cosmetic reasons. As for BA you prob don't need to mention that one at those ages. Tbh I don't know how I coped after my TT. I do remember it took me a lot longer to recover than I thought it would but I just listened to my body and took my time - ended up having 6 weeks off work cause I felt I was still walking like a hunchback lol.

Since telling them we've taken the time to have lots of "talks". Explaining the whys and how's, and also (especially with miss9) that its a decision I've made to put things back to where they were. I haven't mentioned a large part is due to breastfeed, but taking the angle of my recent weight loss. Oddly enough several of her questions are relating to if women can still breastfeed once it's done (huh?) and pregnant women etc.

I'm really struggling with this.  I'm having BA and TT at the end of the month and have mentioned it to the kids (as i'm going to be in hospital for a few days with the TT) and they have both said they really don't want me to do it (sorry to be blunt, but my 10 year old boy said "what if you bleed to death"  :huh: ) and my 8 year old daughter said i look beautiful the way I am.

Have to be so careful with young girls and I do really worry about how this comes across to her.

I'm thinking now, of not mentioning it again and just doing it.  Then telling them I hurt my back or something... I don't want to worry them!   

It's up to you, if you really don't want to tell them, then don't.

I went away for 2 nights to have the surgery with hubby. Didn't even tell my mum (who was watching my girls) When my girls saw I was hunched over, I told them I had a vomiting bug and had to take it easy. Anyone (family) who heard I had a vomiting bug left me alone for a week! I went from an a cup to a d cup, and no one has noticed at all.