Chesty

BA and revision, Melbourne surgeons: Mark Ashton

Last year, after a long time researching breast augmentation and consulting with a number of well reputable surgeons, I went through with my first breast augmentation with Craig Rubinstein. My consult with him and his nurse were really thorough which is ultimately why I went with him.  I will note, unbeknown to me prior to my consults (because I think I had a good rack, albeit small and deflated from exercise), I had a small amount of droop and one nipple was a little lower than the other. But three surgeons all told me I didn’t need a lift. I ended up getting my implants completely under the muscle, crease incision.

As expected after being aware Craig’s work normally takes a bit longer to drop, my implants sat very high and square for a while after surgery, which I was initially fine with because I understood things take time. However as the months went on, there was only a small amount of movement downwards, but not nearly enough. I expressed my concern at the 3-6 month time points, to be told that they were perfect and to wait until 12 months before we would consider doing anything. It was a pretty tough time for me, I was upset that I had spent so much money and was embarrassed to show off my result when everyone else I knew had gotten a nice result. Having to wait 12 months was frustrating to say the least. Anyway, at my 12 month appointment I was feeling pretty defeated and felt like maybe I just had bad boobs and I would never get great boobs. At this stage my main problem was that I had around 80% of my implant above the nipple and 20% below, I didn’t even feel like there was any implant below my nipple and my nipples pointed down. Above my nipple was not a natural slope at all, it was very square. It also looked like my nipples had slipped off my boob, and when I lent forward my boobs were triangles and not round with the implant sitting tight against my chest and my tissue just hanging off it the implant. I was told they were perfect again, and then we discussed what options I had after I made it very clear my result was really upsetting me and that I didn’t want to wait any longer for things to settle and drop down. It wasn’t really clear what my best option was, and how much improvement I could get. But Craig did say that he would fix it, this is not in doubt.

However I wasn’t feeling very confident going ahead again without seeking further opinions, so I consulted with Mark Ashton. The difference in processes between the two clinics is a huge contrast. Automatically there was acknowledgement that something was not right, which was really validating because up until then I felt like a whinger always having to say what I felt was not right rather than have someone say yep I can see what you mean. Instead of me having to verbalise what I specifically didn’t like which is what had always happened prior to seeing Mark, Mark suggested what the problem was straight away (which was spot on) and said that he could fix it and if he didn’t get it perfect first time he would keep trying until he did. I booked surgery right then and there, I just felt completely safe and validated for how I had been feeling for the 14 months prior to that. Karen in reception was fantastic and worked me into surgery as soon as she could so that we could sort it all out.

Come surgery day, I got taken away for surgery around 2:45pm, and the nurse suggested I would probably be back in a couple hours. I met Mark in the pre op room, who drew me up and took some photos and said he would try and lower my fold around 1cm each side and again reassured me that he would fix me. The anaesthesiologist came and put my cannula in, and then I got wheeled into the room and was out like a light very soon after. I am pretty sure I woke in recovery shaking because I was freezing (vague foggy memory of that, may not be correct though) Stayed in there for a while, and then was wheeled back into my room where I was greeted by my loved ones. It was now night time, and by the time I got back into my room it was 6:30pm so surgery went a fair bit longer than the nurse indicated it would. I had drains in both breasts as well which I was not expecting for a revision, and they had to be emptied a few times. Straight away you could see a substantial difference in the appearance of them, even though Mark told me the next morning not to worry yet they still need time to settle and will continue to improve.

I saw his nurse a week later to change my dressings, and then saw him at the 2 and 4 week time point. When I went into the office following surgery for my first post-op time point the receptionists were asking how I was feeling because Mark had to do some extra work to get the implants to sit nicely, and said I would be feeling pretty sore. Which, I certainly was, but it was managed with panadol and a cheeky panadeine forte a couple of times. Mark said my implants were initially completely under the muscle, so he switched to a dual plane placement and released everything, lowered both my folds, and also performed a capsulectomy.  He kept the same implants. At the two week time point, I was thrilled with my result but Mark wasn’t because they weren’t perfect (his words!!) so he put me in the strap which I had to wear religiously for two weeks to push one implant down and suggested a small benelli may be called for if at the 4 weeks post-op time point my nipples weren’t even. The strap seemed to have worked, because at the 4 week post-op time point things were much better so we ditched the strap to avoid making the other implant drop too much and then letting things settle for a month to see if we should use the strap to try and push the higher implant down 4mm. I am now around 6 weeks post-op and back to my regular activities and loving my new job, my nipples are in the middle of my boobs not falling off my boobs, and my boobs seem bigger now that I have implant and my breast tissue in the same spot! I also have a natural slope above my nipple. Mistakes happen and things can sometimes not settle as expected because we are dealing with human bodies, but it’s how you fix the less than desirable situation and how you treat people that matters. I am so glad that I have gone through this revision and finally have the result I wanted to begin with!

Thanks for sharing your story :) I'm so glad you got a great outcome in the end. It's a shame your initial surgeon was so hesitant to admit fault. He must have caused you so much unnecessary anxiety.

What a really lovely story Chesty! Not the fact you had to have a revision of course, or the fact that your surgeon made you wait so long and wasn't overly forthcoming on revision. But that you found Dr Ashton and are more pleased and proud of your results, is just so fantastic and I am so glad for you!

Hey chesty, your first paragraph sound EXACTLY like how mine are!!!  When i lean forward the implant does not come forward at all it's just a triangle of breast tissue and same if I'm on side they have a weird shape, I just thought this was normal with implants??

I'm the same with the 80% upper boob thing also and my nipples point down!! 

I'm booked in to see Craig again at the start of the month...

So happy to hear of your end result Chesty! I'm booked with Mark Feb 2nd. I'm now even more confident I've chosen the right PS - I have complicated case and he's indicated that it will almost certainly take two surgeries to get the best result - I've heard from other girls he's quite a perfectionist. :)