rockmelonmamma

dental implants with BA

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with any type of dental implant after BA? I've read it can increase risk of CC, and would prefer to avoid it completely if this is the case. I'm due to have a TAD (temporary anchor device) in the next few months to help shift some of my teeth (I currently wear braces). However, I really dislike my orthodontist - I feel anxious each time I see him, and since having my braces 3 of my teeth have chipped badly on the brackets. I would prefer to lessen my treatment time if I can, anyway - and I suppose not moving the teeth forward would mean they are off sooner. Hopefully it would mean the overall cost of treatment would be less too - but if he doesn't discount the price for not including the TAD I don't know if I should just go ahead and get it? Does anyone have any experience with this or similar? Your input is much appreciated. Xo

Hey Rockmelonmamma, I read somewhere this and copied it to ask my surgeon at my consult next week;

My surgeon told me that people with implants should take 5 tablets of Bactrim antibiotics one hour before every single dentist visit.

Apparently bacteria gets in through dental work and can causes CC. But I'm not sure how reliable this info is and I honesty can't remember where I read it either. I'm wondering about going to the dentist too. Hope someone can help you xx

Hi,

My PS said general dental work should be ok? But I'm just worried about the actual implant, maybe deep down I just want to have my braces off sooner - and save dealing with orthodontist. I hope he just says the treatment will cost less without it - surely?

I was told by Dr Mark Vucak that it has become well known world wide that bacteria entering the bloodsteam during dental work can cause capsular contraction.

He said the bacteria enters the implant wall multiplies which causes the capsule to contract.

He told me this over the telephone about four months ago.

He did my implants years ago and I started to develop CC in one breast last year after I had a root canal done. I rang him to ask about what to do about it.

That is when he told me of the connection between dental work and CC. He also said that patients are now advised to take the 5 tablets of Bactrim one hour before any dental work, even cleaning.

I will be doing that forever. 

PS People with artificial heart valves have to do the same thing.

PPS. The contracture stopped for me, after I had four lots of ultra sound treatment with a physio, but you can still see it as a small dent. 

Sniff, that's not good :-/

My PS advised it would have no impact, but I have read so many conflicting opinions about it - so I'm glad for your input (first hand experience).

My braces are already on, and I require regular wire changes - but I'm not sure I'll need antibiotics for that? I will ask tomorrow about not having the TAD - The gap I wanted closed is between teeth at the very side, and not too noticeable (to others), and to just finish my treatment for alignment instead.

I'm due for a clean soon though, so I'll double check with my PS/nurse before then. Thanks. Xo

My PS when I went last week, which was 3 weeks post BA, said for any dental work where there is goin to be blood I needed to get antibiotics and start taking them the day before the dental work!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, JJones.

This is helpful. I woke up and realized it's sunday (can't call the orthodontist). But in this case the wire changes would be fine, there is no blood - but the implant would need antibiotics.

I wonder about most fillings too? The one's I've needed didn't involve blood - but for 2 I did have needles?

I've just read many plastic surgeons now believe antibiotics are NOT needed for routine dental work. *phew!

apparently it is an 'outdated' opinion, and some even believe it is more of a precautionary measure (perhaps not even necessary) to take antibiotics for the original surgery itself - I'm glad I tool them anyway. (Source: http://www.realself.com/question/antibiotics-after-breast-augmentation1)

Hi,

My PS said general dental work should be ok? But I'm just worried about the actual implant, maybe deep down I just want to have my braces off sooner - and save dealing with orthodontist. I hope he just says the treatment will cost less without it - surely?

My PS said the same as yours and does not believe that there is a link, his opinion is that perhaps those people would have gotten CC anyway he said implants are not like a heart valve in the way it is in the body (a heart valve is susceptible to infection from dental wok apparently), he said that at any conference he goes to somebody will bring up the supposed link between dental work and CC, I suppose you have to go with your gut on that one. I'm due for a dental check but am delaying it whilst I decide what to do. 

My PS said the same as yours and does not believe that there is a link, his opinion is that perhaps those people would have gotten CC anyway he said implants are not like a heart valve in the way it is in the body (a heart valve is susceptible to infection from dental wok apparently), he said that at any conference he goes to somebody will bring up the supposed link between dental work and CC, I suppose you have to go with your gut on that one. I'm due for a dental check but am delaying it whilst I decide what to do.

I ended up texting the nurse about this - she said a scale and polish is fine without antibiotics, and to go ahead and book in if I'm due. *phew!