Sign in to follow this  
Cl3opatra

Back to the gym???

how long after BA is a good time to go back to the gym? I had my BA on the 23rd of September and today was my first day back I haven't fully recovered but I'm sick of felling bloated and fat :( I just walked on the treadmill did bike and squats I'd love to hear what other girls did

Thanks in advance x

AT 1 week post op I was allowed to start walking, 2 weeks cycling and 3 weeks I could start to increase the frequency of these. I did a plan with my trainer at the gym and we worked out a plan of those along with squats and walk lunges and some lower body weights. I didn't end up returning to working out until 3+ weeks in the end. I've had a persistent pocket of fluid in one side which has meant I've wanted to give my body the best break I could. Ive been eating well and so don't seem to have put on weight.

I'm 2 and a half weeks PO and my dr gave me the same advice as Usplusthree.  I thought I would be back in the gym on the bike as soon as I got back to Australia.  I've decided to give my body more of a rest.  I've had the flu since I got home so i'm just going to rest another week before going back.  I was really worried about gaining weight but I'm actually at a lower weight than pre-BA due to being sick.

My surgeon said I could do squats, lunges, walking in the second week. Then at 3 weeks I can begin to go back to upper body work and sit ups.........which is tomorrow! But, I am going to take it very carefully as I don't want to damage my surgeon's work. If you are not sure, I would definitely contact your PS and see what his advice is. I can completely understand your frustration though because I am a gym junkie too! But, the body is still healing after a BA so better to go slow and steady rather than getting a serious injury. :)

Thanks for the reply ladies... I'll be 3 weeks post op on Tuesday think I'll stick to bike treadmill and squats for a little longer ... The scales say im2 kilos lighter than what I was before surgery but I still feel fat :( anyone else feel the same way?

I think when you are used to doing exercise and then stop, you are always going to feel "fat". I have only done a little bit of exercise over the past 3 weeks and can't wait to get back into the full gym because I feel fat! I know I am not but I think it is the mentality of always being able to exercise and then suddenly I can't do very much. Plus there is a certain amount of fitness/muscle tone we lose when we don't exercise. I have been reading up a bit on chest exercises and found different answers. I think I am to leave going back to the chest exercises for at least 2 months. I need to let this area heal in its own time. Cl3opatra, I would just listen to what your PS has advised you and also what your intuition says. My PS said I can start upper body work as of today............but I am going to do it very gently to begin with. It's frustrating but I don't want to stuff up my chest area. :)

As a nurse, and someone who has now had three surgeries, I would leave any weight training and strenuous cardio for at least six weeks.  You run the risk of jeopardising your healing if you get back into it too soon, and is it really worth it for the sake of a couple of weeks?  In that time your body needs to put all its energy into healing, I would not be diverting that valuable energy to getting you through a cardio workout or repairing muscles used in strength training.  Lower body exercises such as squats and lunges do engage upper body muscles to some extent too.

I would stick to gentle walking, if you over tax your body during healing, something has to give, and that might be your new assets.  Please be careful!