Sign in to follow this  
anna_bear

Peeling micropore tape off incisions

Hi ladies,

So I'm 6 days post op and yesterday i took my first real shower in which my doctor told me to peel off the micropore tape and then put a new one on my incisions, and it was the most traumatic experience of my life. It was so sticky, and i was so worried that i'd pull my stitches out, and the sensation was just thoroughly unpleasant. I actually got so grossed out at the thought out ripping my stitches open that i got all dizzy and nauseous and had to step out of the shower (lol). Then i thought to myself, 'i cannot do this every single day when i shower'.

So my question is, is there anyone else that has trouble peeling off the micropore tape, and also are there some tips to make it easier and less sticky?

Any advice would be great because i'm dreading today's shower.

Thanks!!

Hi,  I have stri-strips over my incisions, and I will only change them with the stri-strips are ready to come off themselves, so that wouldn't be every day it will more like once a week.  Hope that helps.

OMG, you sound like me the first time i changed mine.  I actually nearly passed out from the pain and the shock of seeing my incisions.

A girl here on the forum told me to rub some vegetable oil on it to help it come off, worked like a charm.  There's also tape remover that you can get from the chemist I was told by another girl here on the forum but I didn't bother with coz the oil worked well.

good luck hun :)

thanks everyone for their replies! and diishere, i tried using some baby oil because by the time i was in the bathroom i forgot to bring olive or vegetable oil haha. did anyone find that when you take them off, theres some sort of sticky residue where the tape was that doesn't wash off? i discovered this last night, and i tried everything to get it off, but to no avail :(

I still haven't taken my second lot of water proof strips off that I got a week post op.  He told me I can leave them on til they fall off.  They have been on for 2.5 weeks now and are still going strong.... which is sorta good because I'm scared of looking at the incisions lol.  

OMG, you sound like me the first time i changed mine.  I actually nearly passed out from the pain and the shock of seeing my incisions.

A girl here on the forum told me to rub some vegetable oil on it to help it come off, worked like a charm.  There's also tape remover that you can get from the chemist I was told by another girl here on the forum but I didn't bother with coz the oil worked well.

good luck hun :)

That was probably me, I came here to recommend oil to you anna_bear! I found it worked really well if I put oil on and left it a minute or two to soak into the glue and deactivate it. It did leave a little residue but not much and most importantly it didn't hurt. 

I wouldn't change them daily though! I had my tape stay on for 2 weeks and just dried with a low setting on the hairdryer after.