ittybitty

How soon can I do yoga?

Forgive me if this has been asked before.  I know there are a lot of posts that talk about exercising after a BA, but are there any yogi's out there? I am assuming it is going to be a few months before I can do a decent yoga session, as there is so much chest expansion and pressure in so many of the poses.  But if anyone has any experience, please let me know!

I don't do yoga but I am a gym junkie. I am 3 weeks post op and my PS said I could do some upper body work outs now with tricep and bicep curls. Well, yesterday I tried to do a tricep curl (I did it slowly so I wouldn't hurt myself). I didn't get far as my chest area felt incredibly uncomfortable! So, I stopped straight away. I am even still struggling with opening up a jam jar lid and have to get my husband to do it. Like you said, we use the chest muscles more than we realise! Maybe ask your PS. I would assume it would be at least 6 weeks post op?

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I know there are a lot of posts that talk about exercising after a BA, but are there any yogi's out there? I am assuming it is going to be a few months before I can do a decent yoga session, as there is so much chest expansion and pressure in so many of the poses. But if anyone has any experience, please let me know!

My post op instructions say 12 weeks, which is fair enough - at one week I couldn't even handle Shavasana (I was sleeping on on the recliner for the first week).

I am now 2 weeks, and although it is difficult to get a good flow going I still try to do a little - as my body will allow (energy wise as well as flexibility).

Here's what I've tried so far:

Staff and bound angle pose with my back leaned against the couch for support, stretch through the heels (and legs) - but not forward through the arms or chest, JUST the legs, I don't lean forward. (I find this a good opportunity to experiment and mix it up with different leg poses- try what works and breathe into it )

Warrior poses without the arms - don't get ambitious here, I keep my arms on hips, or at the front above my pelvis- and go slow and not too deep.

No table,cat/cow, no down dog, and no child's pose (I know - boooo!!!).

. . . and breeeathe. . .

I hope this helps.

~ Namaste ~

Not exactly the same but I started Pilates at week 3, by week 6 was back to full routine. I got the all clear by my doc. Everyone's recovery is so different. Just make sure your doc approves and you listen to your body and don't push yourself when it says stop.