Gabby1

Protein and lifting.

I have started lifting to get myself in better shape for my BL and BA at the end of the year. I have cut out any crap and now l have dropped weight which l don't really want to do. I am 49kg now, l generally sit at 50-51kg. I am around 162cm tall. I'm not a big meat eater so if there any good sources of protein you gym junkie girls use to bulk up? Annoyed that l have dropped weight but happy if l can replace it with muscle! Don't want people to ask me have you lost weight like l have copped most of my life- apparently it's okay for people to say your to skinny but l can't call them to fat lol. Anyway, sorry for my waffling! Gabby xx

My fiance and I buy it in bulk from Professional Whey. We buy WPI and WPC and mix it together. If you are after a smaller amount, make sure it's as pure as you can get and a good mix of WPC and WPC. look for one with low carbs but at least 20g protein per serve.

Yeah I'm with Nikstar. Your best bet is to use protein powders to up your protein intake. Quick and easy, just have a protein shake or smoothie between meals (but not as replacement meals given you are already losing weight). You can throw protein powder into everything too. I had the same problem as you. I wanted to tone and strengthen but found I was also losing weight rapidly. I put protein powder in everything haha. I make protein muffins, I have it in my morning muesli with greek yoghurt, I have a protein smoothie before breakfast. My first morning snack is a chicken mince quiche thing I make, my second snack is a boiled egg. Lots of ways to get extra protein in your diet :).

Good luck!

Thank you lovely ladies! If there any benefit to mixing things up abit with pilates and cardio work as well? I was told l need a day of rest in between lifting and judging by my sore muscles (but in a good sort of way lol) l probably do! Two months one week to build up some muscles and strength.  :eek:

I think it's always good to mix it up - but cardio (if you're talking about running or walking) is primarily a calorie burning exercise. So if your food intake isn't up, you will just lose weight again. In saying that you can get your cardio in by doing walking lunges with weights, mountain climbers, bosu lifts - cardio but working your muscles at the same time.

Pilates is great for your muscles. That would be good to start (maybe between your lifting days).

I do strength training 6 days a week and run 5 days a week - I eat around 8 times a day in order not to drop weight. So it's all about weighing up what you want out of it :).

I've just quit smoking so want to get my cardio up. I much prefer strength training and have only just started the cardio. All of my muscle, toning and strength is from resistance training and weights - not cardio :)

Thanks for that DanniP! When l do cardio it is kickboxing sort of stuff so cardio but strength  as well. I ended up with a few bruises last week from it lol. Also jumping rope. I am totally unco when it come to anything else cardio, forget to zumba or anything like that!  I tried bootcamp a few months ago and it nearly killed me but now my fitness is up abit l might have another crack at it. Thanks again. x

Too much cardio can cause muscle wastage so it's best to limit cardio to 20mins sessions a couple of times a week. HIIT (high intensity) cardio is better than steady state cardio. For example, short sprints as fast as you can go with 30 secs rest or walk in between instead of running 4-5 kms straight. HIIT will burn more calories too so you don't have to do it for as long. 20 mins is more than enough.
Another thing that I have been doing to build muscle is to train each body area twice a week but do a heavy lifting day, then a light weights day. On the light day, do more reps which will get the blood pumping into that area and also cause an anabolic reaction which will help burn calories as well.
What I do is
Mon: light legs
Tuesday: Heavy shoulders and triceps
Wed:rest
Thursday: heavy back and Biceps
Friday: heavy legs, light shoulders
Sat: rest day
Sunday: light biceps and triceps. I only train back once a week and before each session, I do 5 mins on the rower if it's an upper body session and 5 mins on the bike if it's leg day. Ab's I fit in when I can or sometimes not at all. 
I have gained heaps of muscle doing it this way. You can mix up the days you do each or rest of course.

I would do more resistance and muslce building work than cardio. I find I do way more light exercise like Les Mills and yoga, Abs classes etc and a small amount of cardio otherwise I start to look too skinny! 
As to protein you could do some protein shakes or add food into your diet like nuts and chickpeas just to name a couple. I make protein balls with lots of protein in them to eat on the run. 

As a side note I've found it really helpful to have strong abs and legs post operatively. I was able to move a lot easier by putting all my weight through my legs in bed and when doing anything which has been really helpful.

Thanks guys! I really don't want to drop anymore weight, people already say l am skinny, but l always have been even with a sweet tooth. Your training sounds full on Nikstar! How do you find the time? I will limit the cardio then, to be honest l enjoy the weights better, love body pump class l don't think my legs knew what hit them the first time l did it lol. It's good to know that it helped with your recovery usplusthree, my core strength in totally crap so thats why l figured l really need to get stronger prior to surgery. Thanks again for all the great advice! xx

It is pretty full on. Somehow I manage to find the time. Usually it's at night after work. I definitely look forward to my rest days! Something else to keep in mind....muscle burns fat and calories. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So just by increasing the amount of lean muscle that you have, the more calories you will use just to maintain and feed that muscle. Carbs are also very important for building muscle so carbs just before and just after a workout ensures that you get insulin to the muscles to help them grow.

Thank's for that Nikstar! Would it be worth having a protein bar before and after working out? I could get shakes but l usually do a body pump class before work and don't have time to do more then grab something healthy. I try to have some eggs prior to my class though. So it's about carbs as well not just protein? I probably have to any carbs as it is! I'm really enjoying the lifting even if it does hurt at times- no pain no gain yea?! I'm already thinking about how l will go backwards after my surgery because l will need to stop for a period of time. I imagine since l am having a lift as well l will need to be careful. Oh well two months to get plenty of training in! 

Usplusthree- do you have a good protein ball recipe please? I am having something called protein mix which is just mixed nuts etc, great for on the run, but l'm not sure if it is the 'right' thing to be having. 

Thank's for that Nikstar! Would it be worth having a protein bar before and after working out? I could get shakes but l usually do a body pump class before work and don't have time to do more then grab something healthy. I try to have some eggs prior to my class though. So it's about carbs as well not just protein? I probably have to any carbs as it is! I'm really enjoying the lifting even if it does hurt at times- no pain no gain yea?! I'm already thinking about how l will go backwards after my surgery because l will need to stop for a period of time. I imagine since l am having a lift as well l will need to be careful. Oh well two months to get plenty of training in! 

Usplusthree- do you have a good protein ball recipe please? I am having something called protein mix which is just mixed nuts etc, great for on the run, but l'm not sure if it is the 'right' thing to be having. 

Take some protein after your training as that is when your muscles absorbs the protein best. Carbs are good before a workout to help fuel your body and muscles but isn't necessary. If you're worried about having too many carb's, time them so that you have them before and after your workouts. 

Nuts, although they have protein, don't have enough. You need to be eating lean meats or having some whey protein after your workout. WPI (whey protein Isolate) is great after as  it goes to your muscles fast and you want to get the protein in there quickly while the muscle fibres are torn. That's what helps repair the muscles and help them grow.

And definitley.....no pain, no gain!! lol

Thank you for all your advice! I'm not really the sort of person that enjoys a steak, l will have abit, but probably not enough. I tend to eat chicken and fish and the dietician at work said four bean mix, hommus and stuff like that. Any other suggestions? I have chooks so have plenty of eggs atm so l can eat heaps of those! Gabby xx

Fish and chicken have plenty of protein so you should get enough from those. Aim to have about 150g with each meal, twice a day as well as your eggs. Beans are great but do keep in mind that they also have a fair amount of carbs so if you're counting carbs, you need to keep track with your beans too.

That protein sounds great newbie88. The purer, the better. Is it expensive?