diishere

thick raised scars

Hi there,

Since I had my tape removed at 1 week post op, I noticed my scars are thick and raised.  I could also feel they were thick and raised through the tape before my PS even removed them.

I was expecting that this would gradually lessen over time, but so far I am 4 weeks post op and nothing has changed.  It also looks a little messy at the start/end of the incision.

Is it normal for the scar to still remain thick and raised at 4 weeks post op?

Apart from that all else is well, they just hurt when I touch the incisions.

Thanks in advance :)

I have scars which are a little thick and raised too! I noticed they worsened when I used silicone strips which I thought were odd - as I thought those were the best for scarring. To begin with I also used a good quality scar gel approx 3wks after surgery(2x a day religiously as directed) but gave up after spending hundreds on tiny tubes of other silicone gels/creams without any improvement. I think it's called keloid or hypertrophic (might be spelt wrong) scars - some ppl just get them and there is not much u can do except things like skin needling,IPL or scar revision surgery which is expensive and for me not worth it seeing as no one sees them except my partner and I!

At 4weeks po, I'd expect them to be raised but depends on how thick your talking. I used micropore on my incisions until 14-15weeks post op as I'm prone to keloid scarring and this is what was recommended by my surgeon. I'm extremely happy with how they have turned out maybe your scars need continued support as your healing

At 4weeks po, I'd expect them to be raised but depends on how thick your talking. I used micropore on my incisions until 14-15weeks post op as I'm prone to keloid scarring and this is what was recommended by my surgeon. I'm extremely happy with how they have turned out maybe your scars need continued support as your healing

I think you may be right as my PS recommends all her patients use the micropore tape for 6wks po, however it turns out I may be allergic to the tape when I developed unusual needle like marks underneath my incisions so she instructed me to stop using the micropore tape.

My scars were raised at 2 weeks po and as soon as the incisions were healed I started using the Cica-Care silicon strips and scar gels and at 6 weeks the outer incision is definitely flat but I can feel lumps when I run my finger along the incision so I have scar tissue under the skin. Pic is from 4 days ago.
My ex partner had bad keloids and was given silicon sheets to help them get flatter and I saw first hand how they reduced gradually over time so I'm going to keep up with it for mine and hope it makes a difference.

post-12784-0-67337100-1413537073_thumb.j

I went to the chemist on the weekend and they didnt have the scar-fx or the circa-care gel strips so I will have to look for it online. In the meantime she recommended me use a silicone gel to rub on it so i will try that out tonight and see where it gets me.