BEWBZZZ

what sort of pain relief do you get post op

hi been look through alot of forums mainly USA which isant helpful and I know they get any where from a pain pump, muscle relaxants, sleeping pills, and pain pills. just wondering what it is like in aus I found out yesterday that I will pay anywhere from $50 - $90 for my pain meds which seems ridiculous but I guess they have to make there money somehow

well i took all of mine lol, i figured no need to entertain the idea of pain. i had tramadol, endone, voltaran 50 and panadol from memory, only took endone for a few nights to help sleep as it made me itchy and hell. took tramadol for a week then just kept up the panadol for a another week. i don't do pain! 

i don't know what mine cost as my sister filled my scripts, but when your in pain you won't care what it cost, $5 or $150 its small compared to the pain and you'll be glad you have them. some hospitals give them to you included i think but mine were separate. 

My meds were a part of the total cost so not sure how much they were. I got sleep tablets, valium, day and night painkillers, anti-biotics and nausea tablets from the PS. I didn't need the sleep tablets but I did use the painkillers plus valium for the first 3 days. I had to use the nausea tablets as I vomited the first day...........I think due to the pethidine I was given before my op. The anti-bitoics I had to have - just normal procedure to advert infection. Like Southergirl said, it is a good thing to make yourself comfortable. You don't have to use the meds forever - just for the first few days mainly so  you can sleep. When you sleep your body is healing you. :)

i totally forgot about the antibiotics, and yep you have to have them if they are prescribed. others are a choice but why choose to be in pain if you don't need to, and i 100% agree with pink butterfly that you heal better when you sleep and you function and can cope better with the days too. 

I felt like the meds did nothing, I wasn't in much pain anyway but they didn't make me feel drowsy or nauseated and the sleeping tablets didn't make me sleepy. I don't take meds usually so I was surprised

HAHA I have to agree you really don't care what it costs, my biggest concern was the post surgery nausea so I was given an ondanestron script and we filled that out, I think that was $40 for those plus the antibiotics and the panadeine came to around $90 all up.