Sign in to follow this  
anna_bear

When to put silicon tape

Hi, when are you meant to put silicon tape onto your incisions? My surgeon says I can start using them at the two week mark, but I think I've read you're meant to start later. Saying that, I'm probably going to just follow his instructions but I just wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

I know my instructions said I can start using the silicone tape at 6 weeks.

But every surgeon is different so if your surgeon says it's fine at 2 weeks I would go with that - the sooner the better I say!

I started at 6 weeks but wish I did it sooner. I had no advice from my surgeon so just worked it out for myself.

What does silicone tape do? Sorry I just haven't heard of it

It provides support to the scar to help it heal. So it holds it flat and helps to keep it pulling open. Surgeons use micropore tape in the same fashion early post op.

I have't started using my silicon tape yet (3.5 wks PO).  My surgeon said it is hard to get it to stick for long periods.  Has anyone else had trouble with this?

It won't stick if there's anything on your skin (like silicon gel, moisturiser or vitamin e oil) but I haven't had trouble otherwise. I use a baby wipe to clean the skin if I've moisturised before putting the tape on. I went camping for 4 days and forgot to take replacement so just left it on and I swam and everything and it stayed on no worries.

do you take it off to shower, then re apply the same tape/replace it with a new one?  

How often do you change it?

Is it safe to use both the bio oil and the silicone tape?

For how long post op should we continue using it for?

:)

I have't started using my silicon tape yet (3.5 wks PO).  My surgeon said it is hard to get it to stick for long periods.  Has anyone else had trouble with this?

Using it for scar revision and have no problem with NOT sticking, it stays on for 14 days no problem.

do you take it off to shower, then re apply the same tape/replace it with a new one?  

How often do you change it?

Is it safe to use both the bio oil and the silicone tape?

For how long post op should we continue using it for?

:)

Yes take it off to shower, re apply same tape.

I change every 14 days.

No you can't use oil / cream etc. needs to be applied on DRY skin.

I will use it about 5 month post op. as I need all the help I can get, (old lady)

Yes take it off to shower, re apply same tape.

I change every 14 days.

No you can't use oil / cream etc. needs to be applied on DRY skin.

I will use it about 5 month post op. as I need all the help I can get, (old lady)

thanks hun :)

My silicone tapes apparently don't need to be replaced, even when they lose their stick my surgeon says it'll still work as long as its pressed up onto your skin and probably held in place by your bra. I take really good care of my strips though, taking them off when i shower and covering them with a lid so dust and stuff don't get onto the sticky side. I'm meant to wear mine for about 3 months then I'm good to go onto other scar treatments like bio-oil and stuff. I'm asian so i'm prone to keloid scarring so i have to really look after my incisions to make sure they heal well.

Feedback on the silicone tape? Anyone feel that it really does reduce scarring? I was planning on just using bio oil but I'm curious about this silicon tape..

I don't know about reducing scarring bit I found it sped up the healing process and took the redness of my scars away quicker than having nothing at all. That said, I think it was the support to the scar that did this and not the silicone. The silicone in the tape just made it softer and gentler on the skin. I think I would have got similar effect from micropore tape.