So I just found out my hospital fee will be $11,000 instead of $6,000 which is what they initialy said. I can't get that much extra in the next few weeks so I have to cancel my surgery. I'm currently with medibank (not top cover though so not covered)but I've heard that they're the hardest to get approval from to cover surgery. Thinking I will change to a different one and get top cover so the hospital fees can be covered. Who are you with and did you have any issues getting them to pay for it? I will have medicare item numbers for a tummy tuck and breast reduction.

Have you contacted Medibank to confirm that you are definitely not covered?  Also, have you asked your PS if he has rights at any other hospitals.  My PS has rights at 3 hospitals in Cbr and the costs vary significantly.

I'm with Defence Health with top hospital cover and haven't had any issues.

Hi,

I had a TT a week ago.

I only have basic hospital cover (only just for myself) with HBF, and they covered the full amount of my hospital stay and theatre costs.

Because I had item numbers from Medicare.

I went to Medicare yesterday and got my refund from them too :)

I would double check with your PHI, I was under the assumption that if your surgery has an item number from Medicare your PHI covers the full amount of the hospital. ( unless you don't have hospital cover? )

Then call your PHI and get them to quote you on how much out of pocket you'll be. I did this with HBF, it was nice to have it in writing. Exactly how much I was to pay. Which was only the gap from my surgeon ($1200)

Good luck x

Guest Cosmetic

So I just found out my hospital fee will be $11,000 instead of $6,000 which is what they initialy said. I can't get that much extra in the next few weeks so I have to cancel my surgery. I'm currently with medibank (not top cover though so not covered)but I've heard that they're the hardest to get approval from to cover surgery. Thinking I will change to a different one and get top cover so the hospital fees can be covered. Who are you with and did you have any issues getting them to pay for it? I will have medicare item numbers for a tummy tuck and breast reduction.

$11,000 for hospital alone?

Guest Cosmetic

Medibank Private is going to be privatised and for those of you who are members and wanting Cosmetic reconstructive surgery change now!

Guest Cosmetic

T

Yes for the hospital alone. Its crazy! Even if I were to spend no nights at all in hospital, the hospital fee would be $8000

May I ask what r u getting done?