Sign in to follow this  
Roza

Questions about breast implants

Things i need to know before i book

1. How long does the pain last? (submuscular)

2. Am I able to go on holidays to new zealand a week after surgery? (I live in Perth WA)

3. Can i go back to work 2 weeks after surgery?

4. How long after do I take the medication?

5. How long after can I generally drive?

If anyone could help answer these for me even just generally. I have tried looking it up but everyone seems to be all over the place and can't get a more exact answer. I know everyone is different but I have holidays booked in Febuary and really want to get it done a week before that.

For me;

1. The worst was over by 3weeks

2. I would say no. And if I did I wouldnt enjoy myself at all. Remember u cant even get dressed properly at 1 week post op or reach for things on a high shelf

3. For me 3 weeks off work would be my minimum. Depending on how physical ur work is

4. Anti biotics for one week, I stopped pain meds at 4 days post

5. I was driving at 1 week because I had to with 2 young kids one in preschool. Didnt feel so nice but achieveable for short distance

I agree with GoneSouth. I was told no driving for 2 weeks though which I obeyed and I probably could have gone back to work after 2 weeks but I waited for 3 weeks from surgeons advice, which was perfect. You'll be quite tired for sometime after the surgery so have to take it easy. BAs aren't easy op, you'll be under GA for around 1.5hrs and that alone is a stress on the body then you have to consider all the healing that has to happen.

2. Am I able to go on holidays to new zealand a week after surgery? (I live in Perth WA)

If anyone could help answer these for me even just generally. I have tried looking it up but everyone seems to be all over the place and can't get a more exact answer. I know everyone is different but I have holidays booked in Febuary and really want to get it done a week before that.

Hi there,

From my own personal experience;

1. The worst pain is in the first couple of days, meds help. Day 5 was a little painful for me. When nerves started reconnecting there was minor pain too, and now I occasionally get very minor 'zingers'.

2. I would not have wanted to go on a holiday 1 week post op, I barely wanted to leave the house.

3. It would depend on the type of work, but if you can get away with more time off I'd take it, healing can leave you exhausted easily - and being gentle with yourself is the best way to speed up the process.

4. I had pain meds to get me through a couple weeks, but only took them for a couple of days. Antibiotics were 10 days.

5. I was allowed to drive an automatic transmission car at 10 days post op.

I think it's a good idea to ask your surgeon these questions as well, they all have different post op instructions. Also, everyone heals differently - your experience may be different, or the same - but it's always best to prepare to give yourself lots of time and space to heal :-)

Best of luck. Xx

Thanks! I just wanted to get some experienced answers because I have to book soon and I don't want to book the wrong time. My job is very physical however i did talk to my boss and she said they will make sure I am not doing anything too strenuous.

I found the pain quite minimal after surgery, to date the worst pain was at about 10 days-2.5 weeks post surgery when I had intense nerve regeneration pain. 

You'll need to get approval from your surgeon to fly but I wouldn't have wanted to be away from home that close from surgery.

Yes you can go back to work, depending on what you do you'll need to take it easy with certain tasks.

I was off everything by day 6 I think but then went back to nurofen.

I got approval to drive at 1 week post op check.

The next available surgeon is the 29th of January for surgery which is 8 days before my holiday to New Zealand. Is it just the pain that you don't recommend that i do this?

Because I have to work around my holidays that I've booked (I can't go for 10 days to new zealand and then have 2 weeks off work after) Where as I can have surgery, 8 days off work and than 10 days on holiday so by the time i am home I can go back to work for light duties.

The holiday it self wont be an active type holiday, it'll be just walking around shops and that kind of thing.

Honestly I think it would be fine to be away but I find I get quite anxious after things like surgery and I prefer  to be close to my surgeon and the hospitals here. However at least with NZ you are in an english speaking country with a good healthcare system. Have you got private health insurance should anything happen?  You'll be fine to walk around shops etc at that point, I found for the first 2 weeks post surgery I was still very tired and needing to rest during the day but if you can take it easy like that then you'll be fine.

Honestly I think it would be fine to be away but I find I get quite anxious after things like surgery and I prefer  to be close to my surgeon and the hospitals here. However at least with NZ you are in an english speaking country with a good healthcare system. Have you got private health insurance should anything happen?  You'll be fine to walk around shops etc at that point, I found for the first 2 weeks post surgery I was still very tired and needing to rest during the day but if you can take it easy like that then you'll be fine.

I don't have private health care, however I am going with my parents and my partner so I have people to take care of me and take me to a hospital for worst case. 

When it comes to things like infections post OP, are they common? or can i prevent that so my holiday isn't risked by something like that happening

Everyone is so different:

No pain, just discomfort

Meds three days, antibiotics 5 days

shopping 1 day post op, but needed a sleep in afternoon.

Drove day 2

Drank loads on evening out 7 days post op.

Made beds, hung out washing days three just slowly just in case.

I think it is not about what can you do, but givng your body time to heel and following your post op instructions to the t.

Don't compare it is not a race.

I didn't like bloating, so drank lots of water. Yucko feeling. Took lots of things to help the second I got home.

Everyone is so different:

No pain, just discomfort

Meds three days, antibiotics 5 days

shopping 1 day post op, but needed a sleep in afternoon.

Drove day 2

Drank loads on evening out 7 days post op.

Made beds, hung out washing days three just slowly just in case.

I think it is not about what can you do, but givng your body time to heel and following your post op instructions to the t.

Don't compare it is not a race.

I didn't like bloating, so drank lots of water. Yucko feeling. Took lots of things to help the second I got home.

Hmm, yeah it's hard because everyone is different. I hear amazing stories of those who don't feel any pain after just days but than those who feel pain for weeks so I think i'll make sure i follow all my instructions and take all of my medications. I really want this done just before the holiday though because of my leave at work. I think i'd rather be recovering on a relaxing holiday than trying to go back to work in pain.