Sign in to follow this  
Cupcake85

Tattoo portfolio

I recently applied for a tattoo apprenticeship advertised and they replied to me saying I would need to send through my portfolio. 

What and how many pieces should I include? I've done some research online and it says I should have flash designs ready to go as well as pencil, maybe some charcoals, some watercolours, etc but I thought I would ask here if anyone is in the know. It said industry experience would be looked on favourably, can you tell I have none? 

Hope that someone can help me out. I know there will probably be more suitable applicants than me and probably with a lot of talent but I feel I should at least try. I don't know if I would call myself talented or even good but I enjoy creative things and have a love of body modifications. 

Hi Cupcake. 

As someone related to the world of Art and Design I can attest to the fact that all creative industry professionals should have a portfolio. If you don't have one then definitely get started on that. The apprenticeship will not teach you how to draw/design. They want to see that you can already do that. They really just want to teach you to inject the ink, use the gun, sterile practice etc. 

I assume the "industry" is related to the illustration/design industry in general. Things like T-shirt design/ illustration gigs, mural illustration, music posters etc are typical fare for someone whose been dabbling in the art world for a while. Anything like that should be included even if it's just competitions you entered over the years. 

I think that post you read was outdated as we no longer use the design program Macromedia Flash. It was brought out by Adobe in 2005. I assume they mean Vector work and for that the program Illustrator is more what we use now. Illustrators often lay their designs out in Indesign and make a PDF plus also use online web applications. 

Good on you for applying though hon!! Just scan and send through any illustrations you have a.t.m so as not to miss this opportunity. If you don't get it and you decide this is really what you want- keep drawing and developing your portfolio. 

Joining a illustration course at Tafe after hours is another way to keep developing. PM me if you want any more help. 

I sent through some of my drawings and was told I was unsuccessful this time but to keep practicing and send through updated portfolio in the future. 

Im thinking of doing classes to work on my skills. I was also thinking of approaching my body piercer for work experience. It may not lead to anything but having experience in the industry would help.