Emma91

Under Muscle Placement, Working out beforehand.

Hey Ladys,

Sooo i have a BA in 1 mnth and 9days. I currently get Personal training sessions 2x a week and focus on working out the legs and bum with a bit of upper body.

My Trainer recons when we hit July hes going to focus more on training my chest to prepare me for surgery.

Now thinking about it, could this be the wrong way to go about it? Because it will just strengthen my muscles.

Please let me know your thoughts

No!!! No chest work for 4 weeks before. The last thing you want to do is have a tight chest going in for surgery! I wouldn't recommend it. It's recommended to do cardio right up to surgery and things such as legs or any muscle group not related to the chest. I am basing this on unders. In saying all this I'm sure there have been people who have continued chest up to but I know the doctors prefer the muscles not tight and will help with recovery. :)

Yeah i joked to my trainer that my surgeons prob wont be able to get my implant in then when i actually thought about it i was like hmmmmm im sure it wouldnt be a good idea to work the chest muscle to much because it will make it harder for them. Makes sense!

Definitely NO chest work from now until your op! My PS and PT both said the same (PS obviously from a professional view, PT from personal experience!). 

I've stopped direct chest work already & my surgery isn't until September. I'm also scheduling regularly massages & physio sessions to release my pec muscles prior to surgery.

I didn't stop working my chest muscles totally l just went very light. I would focus more on your core strength such as your abs, l did heaps of sit ups with weights and that helped me get in and out of bed by myself. I surprised Dr B when l was able to sit up without help from a completely flat position when he was checking my boobs the morning after surgery lol. 

I had surgery last week and no one had mentioned to stop training chest to me. I've been in SO much pain, so much worse than I was expecting it to be! Still am now a week later and I know heaps of other girls who've had theirs done over the last month and been in nowhere near as much pain as me 😔 when I woke up in recovery it was so painful and my boyfriend told the nurse I'd trained chest up until a week and a half before and she told me I shouldn't have been doing that and should've stopped earlier. I'm so glad that was the first time someone had thought to tell me!! The surgeon walked in while I was in recovery too and told me I had very developed pec muscles that were very tight so I'll probably have a lot of pain. 

My advice - stop chest a few weeks before. Stretch, massage, foam roll etc the area to loosen it as much as you can! I trained everywhere else as normal - back (upper and lower), shoulders, legs and abs and am so glad I did because I've been able to rely on their strength to move around when I can't use my arms/chest. I also added in extra cardio to make sure my breathing was at its best (I have asthma so it's hard sometimes) because it's been quite hard to breathe properly sometimes post op too

I hope this helps ladies and you don't end up in as much pain as I have been!!!! 😊