Jaide

Driving automatic on PO Day 3 anyone?

Hi breasties

Please tell me some of you managed to drive an automatic by post op day 3? My friend and I are travelling to Sydney for surgery on the 25th September and we have our boyfriends coming down but only for the surgery day on Friday until Sunday. The issue is that we will be staying in Sydney by ourselves until the following Wednesday and have already booked a hire car for our entire stay and are supposed to be dropping our partners at the airport on the Sunday (POD3).

I know it was a stupid thing to do but we didn't read enough into the driving situation and everything has already been paid for. If possible we would like to save costs by not having to cancel etc.

It would only be driving home from the airport on POD3 and then waiting until POD5 to drive ourselves to the airport to get home.

Would love to hear how you guys managed?

I was cleared to drive at a week but didn't drive until about 10 days as I didn't feel comfortable, but I have heard of people driving a lot sooner. I attempted at a week but couldn't turn corners properly. I don't think you will really know until the time comes, which is unfortunate in your situation since you really need to plan ahead, but you may or may not be up to it.

I would definitely be checking with your surgeon and with your insurance company... If it is a hire car (or any car really) like Donatella said your insurance may not cover you.  Hire car would be a HUGE amount to pay if you had an accident and were covered.  Mine told me to give myself at least a week but to test myself with small drives and to pull over for lots of rests.

Thank you all! I am quite worried as yes I'm assuming the hire car insurance won't cover and I was also a little bit concerned about being on the meds whilst driving.

I think our boyfriends will just have to get public transport to the airport when they leave... It is only a 20 minute drive but by the sounds on POD3 I won't be able to drive the car back to where we are staying from the airport.

As there are 2 of us having our surgeries done hopefully one of us is in a better state then the other by POD5 so at least we can return our car the 20 min drive to the hire place.

Did any of you use public transport in early days?

Hi breasties

Please tell me some of you managed to drive an automatic by post op day 3? My friend and I are travelling to Sydney for surgery on the 25th September and we have our boyfriends coming down but only for the surgery day on Friday until Sunday. The issue is that we will be staying in Sydney by ourselves until the following Wednesday and have already booked a hire car for our entire stay and are supposed to be dropping our partners at the airport on the Sunday (POD3).

I know it was a stupid thing to do but we didn't read enough into the driving situation and everything has already been paid for. If possible we would like to save costs by not having to cancel etc.

It would only be driving home from the airport on POD3 and then waiting until POD5 to drive ourselves to the airport to get home.

Would love to hear how you guys managed?

No way I could do that. Sitting in bed and reading, typing or drinking tea was about all I was up for on Day 3. A gentle walk on day 5. I'm day 8 and I still think driving would not only hurt, but I'd be worried about my implants. I've just spent a fortune and invested so much time into the whole process. Driving is dangerous and your mobility will be limited as well. Bad idea.

No, because you risk developing a haematoma. The reason you're told not to drive is to prevent complications. They can catch a taxi.

I caught a bus to the shops day 3 post op. Walking for long stints was very unpleasant.

I wouldn't be doing it even if you felt you could, your reflexes would be no where near ready enough to prevent an accident... don't forget you have to watch out for others on the road as well! I remember being picked up for post op appointments and holding on to my boobs over every little bump... bit hard to do when you're driving ;)Chalk the loss down to experience and catch public transport or taxi's, it'll be cheaper than what you would have to pay out if you had an accident! 

I drove on day 5 but I had stopped taking my painkillers on day 3. But even so I only drove 2km from my home and that was enough for me. I would not have been capable to drive at all on day 3. I was whoozy from the painkillers, needing to rest as much as possible and also sleeping a hell of a lot. Be careful of what you assume you are going to be capable of. You are going to have major surgery. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks ladies - it didn't even cross my mind initially that we would still be dosed up on the meds and there's no way in hell I'd want to drive during that!

Loving this forum. There would be so many of us lost without all of your advice haha.