britch

Confusion over costs

Hi,

I'm super frustrated right now and my story is long. I had original saline Breast aug under muscle many many years so and was unhappy with rippling so removed them a couple years later. A year and a half ago I had silicon teardrops inserted and the surgeon inserted under muscle again as pockets were already there from previous surgery. At the time he told me I had minimal sag despite having breastfed 3 kids. After surgery I have found my implants to be sitting very high up and my boobs have dropped down underneath creating a horrible saggy yet matronly effect. Uuggghhh :( I paid close to 20k for the augmentation and a revision nose surgery so now very unhappy to have more costs when I wasn't expecting to require an additional Breast lift!!

My surgeon is understanding and has offered to not charge me a surgical fee to correct this issue BUT I just got a quote from their office for the out of pocket expenses which is around $3200 for hospital and $2700 for anaesthetist so nearly another $6k! I pay a fortune for private health insurance so I just cannot understood why it's so pricey? I read about so many people that either get a rebate or their hospital expenses are covered by insurance so why not mine? 

Thanks for reading. 

Some of the costs would be covered by health insurance if there was a medicare item number attached to the work to be performed.  Medicare item numbers are assigned there there is a medical reason for the surgery.  Presumably your surgery is being performed for cosmetic purposes, therefore, no medicare item numbers.

I guess I'm more astounded at how high the out of pocket expenses are, nearly 6k!!!

i am starting to get very upset as this shouldn't have happened in the first place. My surgeon agreed to put the implants OVER MY MUSCLES as he said that I had sufficient Breast tissue to cover them and also because it would give a more natural look given that I'd breastfed. I had absolutely no droop and smallish Breasts. Then he went ahead and put them behind my muscles which we did not agree on and now I'm left with this awful look and have to cover the 6k costs for a breast lift with scars which I should not need in the first place. It does not seem right to me. He did the wrong thing for sure :( I just don't know where i stand. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Edited by britch
Typo

Those costs are quite high. My hospital costs associated with my BA are about $1500 and that is for the operating theatre time as a BA is considered cosmetic and hence health insurance won't cover it. I am having rhinoplasty as well but because that is partly reconstructive (botched sinus surgery) I don't have to pay the theatre time for it and it's covered my insurance. 

Is is your surgeon a plastic or cosmetic surgeon? 

I guess I'm more astounded at how high the out of pocket expenses are, nearly 6k!!!

i am starting to get very upset as this shouldn't have happened in the first place. My surgeon agreed to put the implants OVER MY MUSCLES as he said that I had sufficient Breast tissue to cover them and also because it would give a more natural look given that I'd breastfed. I had absolutely no droop and smallish Breasts. Then he went ahead and put them behind my muscles which we did not agree on and now I'm left with this awful look and have to cover the 6k costs for a breast lift with scars which I should not need in the first place. It does not seem right to me. He did the wrong thing for sure :( I just don't know where i stand. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Did you sign anything before the surgery that specified you were going over the muscle?  You might be able to pursue that if you did.