tmon08

Under vs over and subfasicial

So I'm booked in for consult on the 9th and surgery on the 13th with TCI. The only other consult I've had was Tim Brown and to be honest I didn't really hound him with a lot of questions. It only struck me that subfasicial meant pretty much over the muscle when I left the consult so I booked in with a nurse yesterday to talk about it because he is on holidays atm. She explained to me that over the muscle is better because the implants will say with your natural breast (I'm currently sitting somewhere between a 12c and 10dd depending on the bra) so I have a bit to sag but they don't sag yet. If you get under the muscle she said eventually in about 8 years you will need them replaced because you'll end up with this double saggy breast and implant under the muscle look whereas Overs can essentially be kept forever. Also the fact that overs don't effect the muscle when you workout so your not as restricted. Tim said I have enough breast tissue to go over but I sort of had my heart set on unders because I just feel like with overs you'll be able to see the implant more especially when I do lose breast tissue as I age or lose weight. So at the moment overs are looking like they have more pros than the unders. But TCI does more unders and I think I'd rather go under. I'm having another consult with a surgeon who prefers under the muscle technique because I feel like these surgeons just try to sell you something they feel most comfortable in doing and I don't want to go to a surgeon and ask for over of they do more unders. Also I'm worried that if I do go under and change to over that I would have ruined my pec muscles from the incisions. So I really don't know what to do. Do I start with overs and see how they go? Who has had overs and unders and what are the issues who've had with each regarding working out, visibility of the implants, rippling, sagging of real breasts etc. sorry for the essay just really confused I feel like I had made my decision with unders 100% and now I'm unsure 😭😭

Both placements have their pros and cons. There are many threads that have great answers to your questions if you use the search function :) yes it is true that your breast tissue can sag over the top of 'unders'. On the other hand if you sag a lot with 'overs' your breasts can end up looking like a tennis ball in a sock. A good surgeon will suggest what is best for you rather than what they prefer to do. 

I never considered overs but as LaurenT said there are pros and cons with both. I was speaking to a colleague who got overs 20 years ago and she said the skin has sagged and stretched due to age around the implants so they don't sit the way they did before and she regrets her decision to get them. That is one persons opinion. I already know i will get revision after children as the implants won't sit the same. I wouldn't go overs with the intention of possibly changing to unders. Most implants are lifetime so go with what you would feel comfortable living with for the rest of your life. There are heaps of threads about it on here so just do a little research but if you trust and are comfortable with your surgeon and have expressed what you want then go with their recommendation :) depending on what you want, you can have a natural look with both over and under etc 

Not what my Dr told me..... Unless there complications or need for revision you shouldn't have to replace them. I heard a long time ago that it was every 10 years but I know that's not the case anymore with certain implants being used.... There are people who have had then over 20 years no problems so I'd say expectancy varies from person to person...I surely don't expect mine to be perfect 15 years on and after children etc.... Anyway I'm no expert just going off what I've been told and feedback from others who have had BA :)

Boobs are skin and skin sags/loses elasticity with age, implants or not. I would definitely not be disappointed if mine lasted me 20 years. Given my minimal breast tissue I had no option but to go under, I opted for what looks on me best given my anatomy.

Edited by violett

I actually went with Tim Brown and have subfascial implants. He has reccomended subfascial implants to every girl I've spoken to on here about him so I think he tends to favour the placement. Mine me are only 6 months old so I can't comment on the whole sag scenario but I'm very happy with how they look so far.

You need to feel 100%comfortable with your decision so if your unsure I'd get a few more opinions and then make up your mind.