I thought I would share my surgery experience, even though I haven't felt particularly welcomed on this forum.  I think that is because I am one liposuction patient in a sea of breast augmentations.  I hope others in a similar situation find this review helpful.

My journey initially started about 2 years ago when I decided that my weight was becoming a problem and I thought that lipo would be the answer.  I had a consultation with Dr Chen at Ashbury in Brisbane as a friend had a breast augmentation by him a few years ago and raved about him and the clinic.  At the initial consultation he advised that I would need liposuction to my stomach, love handles and inner and outer thighs to get the result I was after.  This came in at more than $10k which was just too expensive.

I knew I had to make a mental change before I looked at surgery so I knuckled down and lost about 15kg - problem was while I did lose weight from my belly there was still a pocket of fat that I just couldn't remove - so back to Dr Chen I went in March this year.  He said he was impressed that I had lost weight on my own and we talked about what I would like to see.  Honestly, I just wanted to have a flat stomach so we agreed to liposuction fat from my upper and lower abdominals and also my flanks.  I felt very at ease with Dr Chen and I booked the surgery for June 24th.

I was beyond excited about the surgery, but I did get nervous as the date approached, I was quite worried about the pain I would be in after the surgery and also any yucky side effects from the pain medication and antibiotics.

On the morning of the surgery I showered at home with an antibacterial wash and then headed into the clinic at 7.30am.  I seemed to be the only patient there on the day, which was kind of nice, the receptionist greeted me by name, as did the lovely nurse.  I was pretty much taken straight into the consultation room where I had a good chat with the nurse and she took me through all the paperwork, let me know exactly what would be happening, the risks, the aftercare, everything - she was so thorough which was reassuring.  Once we had finished she let me get changed into the gown and I took 2 valium to get me "into the right headspace for surgery" as she put it.  I laid down for probably an hour on a bed under a really nice soft warm blanket.  I didn't sleep, but shut my eyes and was just very relaxed.

Dr Chen came in next and he marked me up for surgery and took some photos.  He asked if I was ready and if I had any last questions for him which I didn't as the nurse had been so thorough earlier.  We went into the room where the surgery would take place, I stood on a mat and they wiped me with the antibacterial solution over my whole mid section which was quite cold!  I laid down on the table with my arms out and they put the needle into my wrist, and the heart rate monitor on.  With the liposuction I was lucky enough to just have twilight sedation.  I was semi with it during the surgery, I can vaguely remember the incisions for the tubes be made, and not too much after that.  At one stage I did wake a bit because my shoulder was hurting from laying on my side.  At no stage did I feel any pain or discomfort.

The next thing I remember is the nurse sitting me up and helping me into my compression garment.  Let me say it is not attractive at all - your post op bras are one thing, this suit takes it to another level, it goes from just under my boobs to my knees and it's crotchless!  She took me into the recovery room and I sat down to have a few cups of tea and some cheese and bickies.  My husband was in and out of meetings for a lot of the day so I had to wait in recovery for about 90 minutes for him - but they would have let me go about 30 minutes after surgery if he was there.

You are advised to bring some old towels with you to pop on the car seat for the drive home to catch the fluid that leaks from the wounds in the first 72 hours.  I really only had leakage for the first 24 hours, I think because I wasn't having a huge amount of fat removed.  My best advise is to fold a small towel in half and safety pin it around the sections suctioned to catch any leakage once you are at home.  I was given a few plastic sheets to bring home with me too which was great, I put one on the bed and one on the couch.

Pain - I was so surprised with the pain, it was NOTHING like I expected in a GOOD way!  I wanted to stay on top of the pain initially so I took 2 panadeine forte once I got home and then again for the next 3 nights, however during the day I wasn't having any pain relief.  Yes, there was pain and discomfort, especially when getting up and down, but if I was just still it was fine.  

I wanted to get up and moving pretty much straight away so I went for a walk each day after surgery, the first day was pretty slow and sore, but I think it has helped get the swelling moving.  I am now 9 days post op and am feeling great, pain is pretty much gone and I am itching to get back into running again, I think I will give that a go in another week.  

I am still wearing the compression garment, and will for about 4 weeks.  For another week I also have a thin foam pad over my belly too, this is helping the skin flatten out as there was a small roll of loose skin above my belly button, to be expected when you are getting the fat sucked out!  I have had the pad on there since my follow up appointment last Saturday, and it looks like it is pretty much flat, but I will keep it there for another week just to be sure.

I haven't really had much bruising, but my abdomen has never really bruised.  I'm not saying there's none, but it's pretty mild.  The numbness is real, and very weird - it's important to massage the areas suctioned to prevent scar tissue and it's weird to do when those areas are numb.  I'm used to it now, and I'm getting slightly more feeling back each day.

So, am I happy?? YES, I am so happy with my results so far, I know there is still a bit of swelling in the areas but it's going down each day.  I cannot wait to be in a bikini again in summer, and it's so nice not to have a roll of fat to hide everytime I sit down.

I hope this novel is useful for anyone considering liposuction - I would recommend being very honest with yourself about weight you can lose on your own, and then using liposuction to just sculpt the last little bits that you may not be able to lose on your own.

That's a shame that you haven't felt welcomed on this forum Honey Bunch.

Thanks for sharing your story. I am sure others considering the same procedure will find your posts very helpful.  I have followed others of your posts as its interesting to read about someone having a different procedure. But maybe if not many having the same one people can't offer much in response so quiet on your posts?? 

Still I hope you know that others have followed and support you in your recovery! It sounds like you have had an awesome revovery thus far and I hope you are happy with the results!! 

What would be very helpful is if you update your progress down the line. I've seen people rave happily about nose jobs and breast implants early in the recovery, only to hint at complications and being dissatisfied and then disappearing from the forum. These early updates users put on can create a distorted view of particular surgeons. Thanks for sharing but keep us posted! 

Hello ladies!

I am booked in for a consultation with Dr. Chen next week too. I am so excited! It will be my first lipo. Please share your experience with Dr. Chen with me if you have any!

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed review I wish I read your review befory operation haha so I would have known how exactly it would have done.

I just had my op 2days ago with Dr chen. I feel exactly the same surprisingly no pain, little bit of discomfort but that is it.

I had my first lipo few years ago overseas, It didn't go well and I didn't change my eating habits so put weight back on:(

I had my upper & lower tummy, inner & outer thighs, hips and inner knees this time.

I went to shopping for groceries next day as I got so bored at home. My movement slowed down a bit but nowhere near the pain I had from breast implants.(not from dr chen)

Really happy so far and bruises are not bad honestly I don't know as I took garment off to have a shower tapes came off which were supposed to be on for a week, so I am just planning to stay home as long as I can and not going to take the garment off untill I feel absolutely disgusting lol I am more worried about tapes coming off than looking at my result at this point surely my body underneath the garment is bruised some and swollen. I will just give it a week to judge the result.

All I can say now is procedure was brilliant, I have done few plastic surgeries over the years by far the best experience. Hope the result is great too.

Good luck with your result too. Thanks again for the review I was off my face after took 2 valium and couldn't remember much of the operation but this reminds me little pieces to put together:) 

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed review I wish I read your review befory operation haha so I would have known how exactly it would have done.

I just had my op 2days ago with Dr chen. I feel exactly the same surprisingly no pain, little bit of discomfort but that is it.

I had my first lipo few years ago overseas, It didn't go well and I didn't change my eating habits so put weight back on:(

I had my upper & lower tummy, inner & outer thighs, hips and inner knees this time.

I went to shopping for groceries next day as I got so bored at home. My movement slowed down a bit but nowhere near the pain I had from breast implants.(not from dr chen)

Really happy so far and bruises are not bad honestly I don't know as I took garment off to have a shower tapes came off which were supposed to be on for a week, so I am just planning to stay home as long as I can and not going to take the garment off untill I feel absolutely disgusting lol I am more worried about tapes coming off than looking at my result at this point surely my body underneath the garment is bruised some and swollen. I will just give it a week to judge the result.

All I can say now is procedure was brilliant, I have done few plastic surgeries over the years by far the best experience. Hope the result is great too.

Good luck with your result too. Thanks again for the review I was off my face after took 2 valium and couldn't remember much of the operation but this reminds me little pieces to put together:) 

Hello Sweetly!

Thanks for sharing your experience with Dr. Chen! My consultation with him is coming soon and I am excited already!

Just curious to know as to what happens when you gain weight after liposuction? (Not that I am planning to gain weight back on....no!)

I've been trying to figure that out myself. A recent study showed close to 100% of liposuction patients will put all the weight back on within 1-2 years. However the fat goes to another part of the body. The patients studied were still happy with their results as they did not gain fat back on the "problem area". The study showed that in the majority of patients the fat preferred to go on the back.  

Hi Newster,

I've read that somewhere also. However I wouldn't worry too much myself as I would be careful and work out a lot. But I wonder if the body shape that was created by lipo would stay? If that is the case I would still be happy lol

Hi all im considering liposuction with dr Chen 

does anyone have any before and after pics they can show me I live in tassie and want to do all my consults and even thing here before I come so I can pretty much have it done that week :)