totalnewbie

Another PHI thread...please help! Implant failure.

Hi there, I'm new and I know there have been threads on related topics before, but I'm having trouble getting a clear answer and thought it might help to post here. 

I had BA 13 years ago (tuberous breast correction, cohesive gel), and I had an ultrasound this week and the results indicate bilateral intra and extra capsular rupture. I am going to have an MRI just to confirm and to determine whether there has been any migration of the silicone. Really devastated. On top of that - I'm recently separated mother, a full-time student, and haven't been able to afford PHI for the past year or so. I've phoned around and made appointments with Dean Trotter, Mark Ashton, and Hamish Farrow, and it seems like even if I can manage to get the money together, it's going to be a lot less expensive with private health insurance, which I now feel I need to get ASAP. It seems like I have no choice but to wait out the 12 month period and hope to god things don't get worse.

Has anyone had any luck just with basic hospital cover? I've checked MDS numbers in advance of my consultation and phoned HCF, and they have indicated that regardless of the level of cover (basic, mid, whatever), they will still pay the same percentage of the scheduled fee if there are medicare items associated with it - which obviously there is in the case of rupture. Does that sound right to any of you? Has anyone else had their hospital fees covered for breast work on a basic hospital plan? I don't want to be in a position where I sign up and then a year later I find I have spent money I don't have on a policy that does nothing for me. Would really appreciate any help with this! I'm not saying I don't trust the voice on the other end of the phone when I call HCF, but you know...it would be good to get a sense from people who have had this surgery, or related surgeries, if basic hospital is enough. Thanks so much!

Hi there 

I had intra capsular rupture and capsular contracture replaced in 2013 with my plastic surgeon I was about $5000 out of pocket after PHI and Medicare rebates. I am with NIB they were really good I have basic hospital and extras with $500 excess (I think I pay about $20 a week I honestly would have to look at my bank statements to check).

if you search my old threads back in 2013 you'll find a thread about this surgery etc

Thanks so much Donatella! I used to be with NIB, I might look into them again. I should actually check and see about gap providers. It's good to know that I don't need anything more than basic cover to get PHI to cover some of the costs - I was really worried I would have to cough up for top cover, which is kind of not an option at the moment!