My story... TT, BR & BA

MMO..DD!

Hi Ladies

I thought I would type this up as when I was doing my research I found it so helpful to read other stories like this.  11 days ago I had a tummy tuck with muscle repair.  Breast lift with areola reduction and 270cc over the muscle implants.  I was already a saggy deflated 14D cup, wanted the implants for upper fullness not to increase my size, all though DD I would have been okay to go to. 

I will try and be brief:

Checked in to hospital as 7am, first and only surgery for my PS that day.  By 7:30am I was in a gown with all the nurses questions and obs done.  By 8am my PS had come and seen me, the drug man, and I was on the bed moving to surgery.  I felt pretty good, was just so excited it was finally the day.  The drugs were put in and I was talking to one of the staff and the next thing I knew I was waking up with a lovely nurse wiping a cold washer on my face.  I remember feeling very tired and I couldn’t remember getting back to my room and much of the next few hours.  They got me up, post op bra and compression garment on and the leg machine thing was put on (to stop blood clots). 

After a sleep for an hour or so I woke with the feeling of wanting to be sick.  I suffer from Motion Sickness and have had previous ops (not plastic surgery) and have always been sick so the drug man had tried to put some extra magic in the drip but I still felt really sick.  As for the pain,  my boobs I barely felt anything, just a tight full feeling.  For breast feeding mothers reading this, the best way I can describe it is, when you have really full milk boobs with the lumps from being so full, kind of feels like that, so not really sore as such just full.  Never did I ever feel like they were sore.  This may be due to the fact that the tummy was VERY sore.  Maybe I didn’t take much notice of my breasts and could only concentrate on the pain of my tummy.  The pain meds where making me feel ever more sick and after vomiting once and being in so much pain from throwing up – SO SO SO PAINFULL, not jus thte incision but the muscle repair was also killing me, I backed of the pain meds which did help with the vomiting.  From day 1 I only went to Panadol.  Yes the pain was hurting me but I didn’t not want to run the risk of vomiting and feeling that pain again. OUCH!!!!

I had 4 drains, one in each breast and two in my lower tummy, there was hardly nothing coming out of the drains, which was really good, that evening my PS came in and seen me and said everything went well and he would be back on the morning. 

The first night I had to have hourly obs done, which meant zero sleep.  Getting up I needed help of course and was very sore in the tummy area. By the next morning I could barely keep my eyes open and was the most tired I have ever felt, ever!!!!  So the nurse said she would leave me alone and I got some sleep, about 4 hours.  Woke up feeling better. Still very very sore in the tummy.  I had also developed an itchy throat and small cough the day before surgery, thinking nothing of it at the time but coughing was a nightmare, so so so ouchy. 

Given my drains weren’t getting any fluid my PS said if I wanted I could go home, so I only stayed the 1 night.  I had a shower, which I did by myself and I worked out a way of getting in and out of bed without the nurses help so I thought why not go home.  Sleeping is hard anywhere so I went home.  I walked to the car and had a nap when I got home.  Day 2-3 I found the worse.  By the time day 4-5 came around I was feeling a lot better, still very sore but with Panadol and Nurafen I managed to sit and watch tv, eat meals etc.  With each passing day everything got a little easier.  By day 9 I was sleeping with no pillows under my legs (have to sleep with them up) and I was back in my own bed. I found it more comfy to sleep on the couch and lean my legs up, the first few nights sleeping was very hard and I napped during the day when I could.  Going to the toilet is hard as you can’t push, day 4 was when I noticed some swelling on my tummy which my PS said can hang around for a good few months.  One week post op appointment they changed my dressings, and said he could not of done a better job.  My dressings which I have to wear for 3 months, the compression garment for my tummy I also have to wear for 1 month 24 hours, then another 2 months just during the day. 

I have 3-4 weeks of work and I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bored.  Doing nothing is very hard at home.  I am post op day 10 day now and feeling good.  Loving the results so far, very happy  and can’t wait to not wear this garment and have no tape so I can stare at my new bod all day ha ha.

I will post some pics later on once I can take some without the tape on.  If anyone has any questions I am happy to answer. Sorry ot so brief after all :)

Hi, thanks for sharing your story. I have booked an apt to see my PS for first consultation on 2/9 for tummy tuck. I'm now thinking about getting a breast lift or reduction at the same time. I hope you don't mind me asking, but does it cost much more to combine surgeries? I'm curious as to how much you save doing them together rather than separate.

Will really depend on if I can even afford to get tummy tuck done, no where really gives accurate pricing online. I'm so excited so I hope it all works out. 

Hi there, not sure if the PS costs more, I was given a price which had a break down for each one, so BA & BL and then the tummy tuck.  Depending on if you have private health (which I don't) I had to pay for the theatre room and the gas man which is based on the amount of time you need each so that is more expensive for longer surgeries.  Also the amount of time you need to stay in hospital.  I only stayed the 1 night was quoted for 2, but some PS do like you to stay longer, I have read up to 4 days with another lady who I have been talking to stay 9.  So it does depend on those sort of things, your if you have private health.   I was originally told to budget for $25k which I did, I had a bit left over, I am down in Tassie and I think its actually a little cheaper down here.  Remember I have NO phi.  Hope that helps hun

Hi and thanks for sharing.  I am 9 days post op from TT with MR, BA and lift plus some facial and neck surgery.  Obviously I was aware I was going to have pain from all angles and that's OK but what is bothering me most now is the hunching over.  I was told at my one week post op I can try to push up to a straight  stand if I can, thing is I cant.  As you probably experienced the pain in back and flanks from hunching is strong. I could push through the pain to stand no probs but my body just wont do it, the more I try to straighten the more my butt pulls in under. Very frustrating as like you I am bored crazy and even the ability to take a 5 min walk or help prepare meals would be great.  So my question is when did you find you could stand and walk straight? I keep waking each day thinking I will be more upright today but it doesn't happen. :-)

Hi, thanks for sharing your story. I have booked an apt to see my PS for first consultation on 2/9 for tummy tuck. I'm now thinking about getting a breast lift or reduction at the same time. I hope you don't mind me asking, but does it cost much more to combine surgeries? I'm curious as to how much you save doing them together rather than separate.

Will really depend on if I can even afford to get tummy tuck done, no where really gives accurate pricing online. I'm so excited so I hope it all works out. 

Hi, I had combination of TT with MR, BA with lift. plus facial surgery.   The BA TT with MR  had item numbers (BA because of replacement of old ruptured implants). I have PHI so was covered for room 100% while I stayed, had to pay for the knock out gas and a portion of the theatre fees for procedures not having item numbers.  I needed referral from GP to say the BA and TT were medically required.  Once you see the PS you will know exactly what you need to do and what your fees will be.  Good luck and if you do go ahead with the TT in my experience it was better to take the pain and reject the narcotics as the nausea and being sick is 100 times worse than some pain. Good luck.

Hi and thanks for sharing.  I am 9 days post op from TT with MR, BA and lift plus some facial and neck surgery.  Obviously I was aware I was going to have pain from all angles and that's OK but what is bothering me most now is the hunching over.  I was told at my one week post op I can try to push up to a straight  stand if I can, thing is I cant.  As you probably experienced the pain in back and flanks from hunching is strong. I could push through the pain to stand no probs but my body just wont do it, the more I try to straighten the more my butt pulls in under. Very frustrating as like you I am bored crazy and even the ability to take a 5 min walk or help prepare meals would be great.  So my question is when did you find you could stand and walk straight? I keep waking each day thinking I will be more upright today but it doesn't happen. :-)

Hi, I had combination of TT with MR, BA with lift. plus facial surgery.   The BA TT with MR  had item numbers (BA because of replacement of old ruptured implants). I have PHI so was covered for room 100% while I stayed, had to pay for the knock out gas and a portion of the theatre fees for procedures not having item numbers.  I needed referral from GP to say the BA and TT were medically required.  Once you see the PS you will know exactly what you need to do and what your fees will be.  Good luck and if you do go ahead with the TT in my experience it was better to take the pain and reject the narcotics as the nausea and being sick is 100 times worse than some pain. Good luck.

HI there

Yes I know exactly what you are saying with the hunching over.  I think for me it started getting better at like day 9-10! Each day it seemed to get a little easier for me, once I started sleeping completely flat which was around the same time, it was a little unfomfy at first, like I could feel the skin on my tummy being pulled tight.  But yeah it helped.  I am 15 days post op and I can sleep laying down and stand completely straight.  I do get a back ache later on during the day so I still must be walking a but hunched over I think.  I found I was hunching over cause I could feel the skin being really tight not so  much pain as such if you know what I mean but yes each day it got easier, but not till that 9-10 mark.  Hopefully it should get easier for you... its a slow process for sure and everyone is different. 

Totally agree, the vomiting is so much worse than having light pain meds!!!!

Thanks, I slept in bed last night propped on pillows and apart from feeling like beached turtle on its back it was great to get out of a recliner.  I felt that pull you mention and burning along the suture line and this morning walking a tiny bit more upright. :-)

Thanks for sharing your stories. Cittycat did you end up going with mark lee? I was suppose to have a TT and BA at the same time but chickened out cause I didn't have enough time off work :(

Hi Mudcrab,

Yes I did go with Mark.  Have total faith in my end results and could not fault him or his staff at all.  I work a very physical job outdoors so needed substantial time off work for the implant replacements so decided I probably wont be able to get 2 months off again in one hit so went for it and did all the procedures at once.  I am on unpaid leave so that is a negative but in the end the results will pay off.  I followed your posts on Wednesday, it was all so familiar as I was in your shoes the Wednesday prior.  How are you doing with the new boobs?  My original implants were done 10 years ago (by another surgeon) and were a nightmare from day 1, so glad to have them replaced. :-)

Thanks Cittycat, what size were your original implants? I am still a little worried I will look chubby or too big with my size implants.. I am also on unpaid leave so will stretch out my TT one for when I have to have time off anyway...

I can't wait for my follow up appointment!

Thanks Cittycat, what size were your original implants? I am still a little worried I will look chubby or too big with my size implants.. I am also on unpaid leave so will stretch out my TT one for when I have to have time off anyway...

I can't wait for my follow up appointment!

Hi, I had 500 and am now 300.  I had never intended to be that big, with my frame 168cm 60kg size 10 I ended up being a 10E bra.  It looked completely wrong on me and was not the look I wanted.  I really had just wanted to be back to pre 3 pregnancy size.  Don't stress, I am pretty sure you can be confident in a great result with Mark. 

Does it work out financially cheaper to do more than one surgery at one time? Or is the only real benefit one recovery? 

• 1 month later...

Hi MMO..DD

Wow - your recovery is so different to mine. My full TT has given me maximum grief and heavy duty pain relief (initially bubble of pain relief in stomach + PCA. Then Targin and Endone). Now I am on regular panadol and heat packs. I can't believe you went home after 1 day. Good on you - what a strong woman you are :)

The hospital keep me in for 10 days - as they don't like sending patients home with drains. I still had drains in day 10 so they organised a community nurse to visit me daily to check/change the bags. Still this morning day 15 I had 60ml on each side. Hating the drains !! haha

Amazing how different everyone recovers.

All the best with your recovery :)

Its crazy how everyone reacts and recovers differently isn't it.  By day 10-11 I was in my own bed (not sleeping on the couch) and I think day 12 I was laying completely flat might of even been day 11.  Crazy.  I had hardly no fluid at all.  I do still have swelling come the end of the day once ive been to work etc, and I still can feel that I have had it done but yeah after day 4 I would say I felt human again and each and every day go easier.  Not been able to have pain killers I knew I was in for a tough time but yeah after those first couple of days the pain got easier to handle.  Sneezing and coughing was the worst pain I have EVER experienced for awhile but lucky that was only a couple of times. 

I would of gone crazy staying in hospital that long, I was prepared for it but thank god it went really well.  Drains are a pain in the bum, I was so lucky to have them removed.  My PS said though he had never seen a case where drains were left in past day 3 so maybe each PS has different "rules" and ways of doing it not sure, but I have read a lot of ladies saying they keep drains in for awhile, so I was worried when he said to take them out, but once I looked and seen there was hardly anything in them I was okay with it.

Thanks for the post and good luck with yours.  Don't know about you, but having my tummy done was the BEST thing I did.  I lost weight and kept it of which I was so happy about but still had to cover up my yucky buldge.  EW.  So happy so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi MMO..DD! I read in another thread that your surgeon was Gary Kode.  Just wondering if you can tell me about your experience with him.  Obviously you liked him since you decided to go with him, but I'm in Tassie too and was just wondering what he's like.  Haven't really heard much of him.  Also, did you consult with anyone else in Tassie?  Having trouble finding any recommendations for Tassie PSs, so I'm considering going interstate.

Hi MMO..DD! I read in another thread that your surgeon was Gary Kode.  Just wondering if you can tell me about your experience with him.  Obviously you liked him since you decided to go with him, but I'm in Tassie too and was just wondering what he's like.  Haven't really heard much of him.  Also, did you consult with anyone else in Tassie?  Having trouble finding any recommendations for Tassie PSs, so I'm considering going interstate.

Hi there, yes I went with Doc Kode.  I too couldn't find anything about him, I did know a friend of a friend who went with him and loved him.  I decided to book a consult and go from there, I liked him, he was down to earth and said how it was like no fluffing about.  It just so happens that what he said was exactly pretty much down to every detail what I was thinking and wanted. So iii went ahead and booked after that and they called me when they had a cancellation and I had my op down 6 weeks after my consults.  I am very very happy with everything, I had no fluid so my drains were pretty much empty so they come out after 24 hours and I ended up going home after 1 night in hospital, stayed close of course but aside from me vomiting all the time (which I knew would happen as it always does) everything went well and everyone was so lovely.  My post op checks with him and his nurse have gone really well and my healing is going so well, can hardly see the line going down my boob at all now.  Tummy one is pretty red still but he did say it can take months and months for scars to fade, which I could understand as my csection scar didn't really fade till it was about 2 years old.  My personal experience with him has been fantastic.  An added bonus was that I actually found his pricing cheaper, not that I wouldn't of spent more if I had too.  Any queries or questions feel free to inbox me xx