imperfectly_lou

First spin class post BA

I'm 10.5 weeks post op and have been easing back into exercise since I got the all clear at 6.5 weeks. I've been running 7-8km since then with no problems, training legs and back at virtually my pre op weights and easing back into shoulder work. I haven't had any real discomfort at all

This morning I did my first spin class post op and started to get a bit tender at about the 25min mark mainly on my right side. I guess it's from leaning on the handlebars although I tried not to apply too much weight.

i don't know if this is bad or not. Is it just my pec muscles waking back up and a bit of soreness is inevitable? What have other girls found? 

Wow, I'm just impressed that you're doing so much exercise - don't think I could run 1km let alone 7-8km! You're amazing! But I can't offer any advice unfortunately, but it seems reasonable for it to be a little uncomfortable as leaning on the handle bars would engage your pecs. Hope it's only fleeting soreness. 

I haven't done a spin class but have been doing a fair amount of cycling. I stuck to the reclined bikes until six week post op but when first got onto upright I also felt discomfort at about the thirty minute mark. My PT told me if uncomfortable its ok to keep going but if sore then stop. I generally limiting myself to 30mins out of paranoia. 

Surgeons office told me an occasional twinge of pain normal but prolonged is an issue. They also said swelling when resuming exercise is normal but I haven't had that. I've found cycling easier than running! The only running I've been doing so far has been 200m bursts. Long story short I don't think its a bad thing, I think its perhaps an inevitable thing to go through when starting those kind of exercises again. 

I can't lift weights or do yoga (not that I practice yoga) until the 12 week mark, so I'm taking that to mean any type of upper body resistance work is a no go until then.

just wondering how many weeks post op anyone was when they started planking again? I'm 11 weeks and too scared to try hahaha 😁

I'm going to avoid it for 12 weeks. :) 6 weeks to go!

just wondering how many weeks post op anyone was when they started planking again? I'm 11 weeks and too scared to try hahaha 😁

I love and miss planks. I know most people hate them but they were such a good part of my fitness. 

interested when most people got back into it without issues.

iv been told that I am allowed to do light jogging and lower body exercise only if I wear a very good sports bra 😀 so going to get myself some nice expensive sports bras to start off my fitness. Iv to keep it easy till I reach my 6 week mark and not allowed upper body till I see him again and he clears me. 

Edited by Heather86

I only just started at 5 ish months! Might seem a little long but before now it just felt too odd and uncomfortable. It wasn't painful though, so I probably could have tried earlier, but just didn't feel ready.

I haven't done a spin class but have been doing a fair amount of cycling. I stuck to the reclined bikes until six week post op but when first got onto upright I also felt discomfort at about the thirty minute mark. My PT told me if uncomfortable its ok to keep going but if sore then stop. I generally limiting myself to 30mins out of paranoia. 

Surgeons office told me an occasional twinge of pain normal but prolonged is an issue. They also said swelling when resuming exercise is normal but I haven't had that. I've found cycling easier than running! The only running I've been doing so far has been 200m bursts. Long story short I don't think its a bad thing, I think its perhaps an inevitable thing to go through when starting those kind of exercises again. 

Thanks for your reply Pepper, I was hoping you might reply because I know you train similarly to me. I thought the same as you, that it is inevitable as the muscles start to wake up. I have emailed my surgeon just to get his input.

I was fine at about the 7-8 week mark. No problems at all actually. I even tried a couple of very feeble push ups.

I can't lift weights or do yoga (not that I practice yoga) until the 12 week mark, so I'm taking that to mean any type of upper body resistance work is a no go until then.

I'm going to avoid it for 12 weeks. :) 6 weeks to go!

Oh wow., that's a long time. I'm so glad I got the ok at 6.5 weeks. Admittedly I eased back into it with my weights but with my running, my first run was 2mins on, 2mins off and when that was fine, I ran 7km the next day! I'm squashing myself into two bras.

Thanks for your reply Pepper, I was hoping you might reply because I know you train similarly to me. I thought the same as you, that it is inevitable as the muscles start to wake up. I have emailed my surgeon just to get his input.

I'd be interested to hear what they say. I messaged my surgeon earlier in the week to double check okay to start push ups and pull-ups again and he said no restrictions on anything at all. So am doing knee push ups which feel fine and started banded pull ups which feel a bit "pully" so I'm just trying to get used to range of motion and using a fat band that basically has me bouncing up and down to ease back into it as so scared of damaging these new boobies! 

Doing lots of rolling with a ball on pecs and shoulders to try and bring back that mobility, I didn't realise how much my shoulder mobility would be affected! 4 weeks of doing mobility every day and I still can't touch a wall behind me if stand with back flat against it! 

Oh wow., that's a long time. I'm so glad I got the ok at 6.5 weeks. 

I know! I thought I'd be itching to lift weights by now, but I'm surprisingly ok. Sometimes I think to myself I could easily pick up some light weights and pump out some reps, but I'm not gonna risk it, especially after my shitty recovery.

I didn't realise how much my shoulder mobility would be affected! 4 weeks of doing mobility every day and I still can't touch a wall behind me if stand with back flat against it! 

YES! My shoulders are killing me. Prior to my BA I was being treated by my physio and massage therapist for tight pecs which also affected my shoulders and scaps. Not looking forward to that rehab all over again.