Sign in to follow this  
Big Booty Judy

How long to wait until resuming exercise after BA?

I've just booked in for a BA on 19 Dec.  Currently I'm really active - training about 10 hours per week.  I participate in triathlons (swim, bike run) and go to the gym.

I know I'll have to have a fair bit of time (at least 6 weeks) off my training.  I'm hoping I can get on a bike (at least on a wind trainer or gym bike) and do legs at the gym (pin machines only) after about 2-3 weeks.

How long did it take for others to feel comfortable running again (and swimming if you've done that) and did you have to work up the distance slowly?  How long before feeling pain free enough to do upper body weights?

TIA :) 

Hey Tia..

I was concerned about training post op too! I waited 6 weeks before I started doing cardio - spin and cross trainer because I tried too soon and felt a lot of pain. I still find running really uncomfortable and i'm 3 months post op!!.  You just don't want to get your incisions sweaty because thats how they can get infected! 

I don't swim, but I would check with your surgeon about that one as I would assume it would be more than 6 weeks based on how I was feeling. 

It pretty much will be a personal thing cause everyone heals at different speeds :) best to ask your surgeon before and after your surgery! 

Thanks Rachel_K.  I will definitely be talking to my surgeon, I guess I'm just being impatient as my consult isn't for a couple of weeks!!!  I am concerned about not being able to run and it's such a big part of my life, so hopefully the surgeon will have a solution to get me back into it as soon as possible :)