ReginaGeorge

freaking out, another heart attack?????

Hey everyone, first time poster long time lurker. So I just read this news article yesterday and I am really worried.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/woman-suffers-an-allergic-reaction-before-breast-surgery/story-fnj3rq0y-1227571917871

Im booked in to have surgery at this hospital and now i am freaking out. I am having a major freakout. I don’t understand, why was she transferred to another hospital. I am such a worry wart and the fact that my plastic surgeon operates out of a proper hospital rather then a clinic was such a big thing for me. How do i know who the surgeon was??? The hospital wont tell me and my husband is putting pressure on me to cancel. With everything going on in the media lately, he already doesnt want me to go through with it and now this has just made things worse. Has anyone else had such major freakouts before their surgery. Help, I dont know what to do..help! :(

woah, sounds like your having a bit of a last minuet freak out. it has happened to the best of us.
I read that article and it highlights an important point. All surgery has risks and it is important that you know that.
Complications can and do happen in all settings; day clinics and hospitals alike.
Unfortunately, issues such as adverse reaction to anaesthetic is difficult to predict unless you have had anaesthetic before. I am not a doctor so I could be wrong but it seems all cases the recent media cases were around patient reaction to anaesthetic and not the actual procedure itself.

Not all hospitals have an ICU attached to it which is why she was probably transferred out. Maybe you could look at having your surgery in another hospital if you are concerned.

As for your husband, I understand his fears. I think we often forget that these are cosmetic procedures so technically its elective surgery. We are choosing to do this. There is a choice.
There has been so much media attention around cosmetic surgery procedures and these NEW complications but truthfully, these kind of complications have always been a risk, its just that we are hearing more about them now.
I also think that competition and more competitive pricing has meant that more and more women are undergoing this procedure so the overall occurrence of serious complications seems higher.

I would schedule an appointment with your surgeon and discuss these issues with him/her. Bring your husband along with you. You both need to be comfortable but at the end of the day, its your body and your decision. 

She was not at a hospital, she was at a cosmetic surgery clinic where they are not legally allowed to administer general anaesthetics (and there is no anaesthetist). Hence, they use only local anaesthetics as pain relief. In too large amounts, these can cause cardiac arrest. If you are at a proper hospital, you should be fine. If you are worried, call and ask what type of anaesthetics they use and if there will be an anaesthetist present at the surgery. If they say no, I would definitely cancel. 

It said she was transferred from calstlecrag private hospital. Also, in the telegraph is said she was having a breast reduction so it would have been a plastic surgeon. 

There isn't much info, I would love to know how she is going! It didn't say if she was stabilized before she was transferred or anything! 

She was not at a hospital, she was at a cosmetic surgery clinic where they are not legally allowed to administer general anaesthetics (and there is no anaesthetist). Hence, they use only local anaesthetics as pain relief. In too large amounts, these can cause cardiac arrest. If you are at a proper hospital, you should be fine. If you are worried, call and ask what type of anaesthetics they use and if there will be an anaesthetist present at the surgery. If they say no, I would definitely cancel. 

This story was not about TCI. It was from a proper hospital & plastic surgeon.

Every single surgery carries risks, and unfortunately it's just something that can happen. You're doing everything you can by going to a plastic surgeon and doing it right, but even by doing that you will never eliminate 100% of risks it's just not something that can be done. 

It's just something you need to try to put at the back of your mind, and just think of the positive outcome at the end of it.

Good luck

Oh sorry, I thought it was the same girl who was on 60 minutes who had a heart attack, but realising now it's another case! Anaesthesia is not without risk, that's why they have anaesthetists there to make sure everything goes okay and to react if things don't go okay. It's scary, but just make sure you're doing it with qualified surgeons and proper medical teams and you should be fine. It's not without risk though, definitely not. Caution is important. Research your doctor and your clinic well!!

Thanks ladies, really appreciate all your support and advice... with so much media attention on cosmetic surgery at the moment, it makes the whole thing seem so scary. I called my Surgeon today and asked the girl who answered the phone if it was my surgeon who had the issue and they refused to comment :(  I'm not exactly sure what to make that.

Hubby wants me to book a second consult and wants to come with me! Oh boy, I think he is already constructing a list of questions to ask..

Will keep you all updated :)

Thanks ladies, really appreciate all your support and advice... with so much media attention on cosmetic surgery at the moment, it makes the whole thing seem so scary. I called my Surgeon today and asked the girl who answered the phone if it was my surgeon who had the issue and they refused to comment :(  I'm not exactly sure what to make that.

Hubby wants me to book a second consult and wants to come with me! Oh boy, I think he is already constructing a list of questions to ask..

Will keep you all updated :)

I think your hubby must really care about you and your welfare and it is great he is taking this so seriously. 
Good luck at your consult. 

I am not sure if you ask your surgeon if that was his/her case if they have to tell you. It might breach patient confidentiality or something like that. Nonetheless, I would be inclined to ask about how many major complications or patient transfers they have had in the last year or so...maybe be thoughtful of the way you frame your questions.

Either way though, I don't think this complication is necessarily a reflection of your surgeons skill. I know there has been so much media attention around TCI but the reality is, most surgeons, PS or otherwise will have a patient who has some kind of complication, particularly if they do heaps of surgeries per year. It is a risk of surgery im afraid. 
I think you and your husband should sit down and write a list of questions to ask your surgeon and if you are not 100% sure, then dont feel pressured to go through with the surgery.