charliebell

Travelling alone...

So it looks like I'll be flying to Phuket in December all on my lonesome to have surgery with Dr Boonchai. Was originally planning to go with my partner but he'll have to be working for the majority of Dec - Feb and that's the only time frame I'll have off to have this done D: 

Has anyone else gone overseas for a boob job on their own? I asked the lady at PIAC if it was advisable and she said many woman go by themselves and are fine. I'm also a little nervous because I'll be booking my own  flights/hotel (not going through an agency) so am a little worried about transportation and the smaller details that I'll have to organise for myself.

Any tips for travelling on your own? Dos, don'ts, how to look after myself for 9 days during recovery without any assistants, etc? Any advice is appreciated! :)

Edit: Ps. any ideas how I can convince my partner I'll be totally fine on my own? He doesn't like the idea of me having surgery in another country by myself and said he'll be stressing out the whole time :/ 

Edited by charliebell

I haven't had my op so I can't help with that but I have been to Phuket. I will say that on the street you do get hassled a bit to buy things or even just taxi rides as soon as you walk out of the airport. It can be a bit overwhelming for some so if it was me and especially with recovery I would try stay somewhere that's not as popular for tourists. 

But the Thai people are lovely and very helpful in anyway. You will be fine. Hopefully someone else who has had their op there will share some suggestions of where to stay and what not. 

Best of luck 😄

I'm having my ba in Syd so not a lot of help but I do work in travel so if you're not going to book your flights etc though a travel agent I'd just make sure that the hotel you choose has 24hr room service and a round the clock concierge incase you need anything through the night. Make sure they do a daily linen and towel change as after your op you'd want everything to be really clean. Somewhere that offers free wi-fi too so that you can keep in touch with hubby. I think that a hotel with a pool would be good too as even though you won't be able to swim at least you can relax outside on the lounges and not have to stay in your room all the time. Some lower priced hotels don't alway offer these services so make sure you don't just shop by price. Also I'd prebook your transfers. Private car transfers in Phuket from airport to hotel and back are not much more than shared ones and that way you don't need to share with anyone else or stop at multiple hotels on your way to and from. Having a driver to meet you at the airport/hotel and carry your bags is great and that way you don't have to haggle over prices and everything is already taken care of. 

As jinx369 mentioned the Thai people are lovely and very accommodating.

Good luck :)

I went to Thailand on my own (Bangkok not Phuket). I booked my flights, hotel and surgery myself.

You might have seen most of this before. I think its fairly easy to manage it on your own if you prepare well enough before hand. The Thai people are extremely friendly and helpful so you wont be left fending for yourself.

Like HarpersBizzar said prebook your airport to hotel and hotel to hospital transfers. Make sure you have multiple contact numbers for the transport, hotel and hospital that side. I got there and had to wait for the airport shuttle and was unsure of exactly where to meet my contact although it worked out fine in the end after I spoke to an english speaking woman at the hotel who called the shuttle driver for me and got me to the right place.

The hospitals and nurses there are top notch and the level of care generally is great so there is nothing much medically to worry about. WiFi access shouldnt be a problem either to stay in touch with those back home. There is often someone at the hospital that will take care of you and take you for the tests and checkups and generally guide you around.

Post op you're going to be sore so take it easy. Pick a hotel that has good facilities and services. The pain meds will take the edge off and you'll feel pretty good by the end of the 2nd or 3rd day. By the end of day 3, I was moving around, making myself coffee and going to restaurants for lunch and dinner. By day 5, I went out shopping on my own so it shouldn't be too hard for you. Dont - Do Not - over stress yourself. Give yourself plenty of time to recover even if you feel good. Washing hair yourself might be difficult so think about maybe going to a salon to get it washed.

For the first few days make sure you have plenty to entertain yourself in the hotel like books, magazines,movies music etc... Make sure you have sorted out how you're going to pay for everything, whether its credit cards, travel cards or cash and notify your bank ahead of time if you're using credit cards so they don't block the transactions. Decide if you'll take over dollars and change the money there or do it before hand (I did 50/50 before and after I got there) so you get good exchange rates.

Oh and one last thing, you should get a letter saying you're fit to fly from your PS/PIAC. The airline might want to see it if they know you've had surgery. On the trip home and for a couple weeks after avoid lifting or dragging anything heavy including luggage so you don't hurt yourself.

Good luck. ;)

I went to Phuket with my partner but did the whole thing on my own as he was looking after the kids. You will be fine, they will take care of you. I was totally nervous about going in alone but once there Dr B really made me fell 100% confident and all my nerves went away.  

On 23 October 2015 at 0:19 PM, HarpersBizzar said:

I'm having my ba in Syd so not a lot of help but I do work in travel so if you're not going to book your flights etc though a travel agent I'd just make sure that the hotel you choose has 24hr room service and a round the clock concierge incase you need anything through the night. Make sure they do a daily linen and towel change as after your op you'd want everything to be really clean. Somewhere that offers free wi-fi too so that you can keep in touch with hubby. I think that a hotel with a pool would be good too as even though you won't be able to swim at least you can relax outside on the lounges and not have to stay in your room all the time. Some lower priced hotels don't alway offer these services so make sure you don't just shop by price. Also I'd prebook your transfers. Private car transfers in Phuket from airport to hotel and back are not much more than shared ones and that way you don't need to share with anyone else or stop at multiple hotels on your way to and from. Having a driver to meet you at the airport/hotel and carry your bags is great and that way you don't have to haggle over prices and everything is already taken care of. 

As jinx369 mentioned the Thai people are lovely and very accommodating.

Good luck :)

That is great practical advise. I'm having surgery in Bangkok and arranging it my self. 2 lots of surgery so I'll be there for 5 weeks. My Husband will be traveling with me but won't be able to stay the whole time so he will come and go then return. I had not thought of asking all of those things about the hotel but it makes so much Sence thank you