Blossom

Those with children - what did you tell them??

I have my surgery coming up in 4 weeks, and am unsure what to tell my children, aged 9 (boy) and 7 (girl). I also have a 3 year old, but could pretty much tell him anything ;) I don't know whether to concoct a story about why I am having an operation, and why I will be sore and awkward for a couple of weeks, or if I should just fess up and tell the truth... 

I am worried about my 7 year old telling EVERYONE she comes across, and possibly giving her self image complexions or something, and also worry about just weirding my 9 year old boy out and making him feel uncomfortable talking about his mums boobs!!

What did everyone else tell children around these ages?? 

Following!!!! I'm. Big on just being open and honest BUT hubby was totally against me having them done in the first place mostly because of the image it presents to our daughter (6). I also have a boy (11) and a toddler. I would just tell me boy and he would be fine bit I'm not with his dad and their family suck big time so I don't know. I don't plan in ut being a big secret but actually telling the kids or not I really don't know. 

My bestie told her kids she hurt her back.  And they never suspected anything... but they are not very observant kids... I mean one of them didn't even notice I was pregnant and was so suprised wgen I had a baby lol.

We are not overly conservative and they see me naked all the time walking from shower looking for clothes lol also my daughter is very observant I think I'm just going to have to tell her. And then I might as well tell my son too. I just don't want him sharing it with his dad and new wife 😮 she already hates as it is. 

Can't help with those ages, but I told my 4 (nearly 5) year old niece once everything was booked. She sees me dressing so it would of been completely obvious to her, and didn't want her to freak out (where did your boobies come from!! lol) So I just told her the truth, or a kids verson of it. She knew I had no boobs, so I said I was going to the drs and he was putting me to sleep and when I wake up I will have bigger boobies. She was actually excited for me :) 

I was worried about the self imagine thing as well, but we keep making sure she knows that kindness and what's inside is the most important thing, and that my boobies had stopped growing and they needed help from a dr. She loves my new boobies, always asks how they are and after the operation she has heaps of questions about the surgery. She was also super careful, and still is when hugging and playing. Very thoughtful young girl. 

Good luck with your surgery and telling your kids. 

I was going to post the exact same thing!  I have a 3 year old boy who won't care but also 6 and 7 year old girls who are too smart to miss a thing!!  Because they are girls and I don't really think it's necessary for them to know I won't be saying anything to them until I have to.  

I was thinking of going with the sore back excuse too ;)

True, I'm hoping my girls are just going to take it in their stride.  I'm thinking of just telling them that with time our bodies change (technically not a lie :) ) as I just don't think I can tell them the truth and have them understand.

My sis in law had hers done a year ago and they've never said a think and they were 7 and 4.

I explained everything to my 6 year old the reasons behind why I was doing it so she knew it wasn't just to get big boobs and just told my 4 year old they will be bigger after my operation. They look at my boobs all the time and say wow you have big boobies mum lol but in time they will only know me as having them and it won't effect them in anymore.

I told my little ones (3 & 5) I have sore arms which is why I can't pick them up / run / jump on the trampoline etc.  I told them my dressings were from where I fell over but I was absolutely fine.  They are too little to know the truth because they wouldn't understand it was private.

My friend who had her BA earlier this year told her three (eldest girl, middle boy and youngest girl - all in primary school) the truth.  She didn't want them thinking that there was something medically wrong.  She told them her breasts had changed a lot after having them and breastfeeding them and she was having a doctor put them back the way they were.  She told them she was doing it just for her, not for anyone else and not because she thought she needed to look a certain way, but that she was just having them put back up.  She told them it was her body and she was the one who was allowed to make decisions about what she did with it.  And that it was her private business and people outside their family didn't need to know.

I told my 

My friend who had her BA earlier this year told her three (eldest girl, middle boy and youngest girl - all in primary school) the truth.  She didn't want them thinking that there was something medically wrong.  She told them her breasts had changed a lot after having them and breastfeeding them and she was having a doctor put them back the way they were.  She told them she was doing it just for her, not for anyone else and not because she thought she needed to look a certain way, but that she was just having them put back up.  She told them it was her body and she was the one who was allowed to make decisions about what she did with it.  And that it was her private business and people outside their family didn't need to know.

yep Im Thinking something like this 

My older three children (10, 8 and 6) would have noticed if I didn't tell them so I told them that the doctors were going to fix Mums boobies and they had seen how deflated and saggy they were so they were fine with it. My 2 yr old is very switched on but I was worried about her wanting me to pick her up so after it was done I told her Mummy had sore boobies and told her the doctor had to make them better. She calls him the boobie Doctor now. 

My husband and I sat our 3 kids down - our son (12 at the time);  and our two daughters (9 and 7 at the time). We told them the truth but like Mama_Milks we also said to not say anything to others. They have been very good about it. They asked a few questions but in the end they didn't seem that fascinated about it. They saw me recover quickly which was good. My son is a high needs child, so I did find he kept away from me the first few days. But after the first week he was emotionally fine and normal with me again.

I told my 7 year twin boys the other night that I will be having an op on my boobies and they will be bigger and they'll have to help me with things when i'm sore. Typical young boys and mum saying boobies, screwed their noses and giggled and that was it. I guess when its closer to the surgery day i'll bring it up again just so they are aware. I also have a toddler but obviously he wont know any better. I'm just worried cos hes a real mummys boy and always wants to be picked up and cuddled.

I have no idea what I'll be telling mine. I have a 9 year old boy and 2 younger ones... I think the truth may be best and make sure they don't tell anyone. Im more worried about my 3 year old as he's obsessed with boobies lol he will definitely notice when I come home with some new ones! 

I had my BA yesterday and told my four children (aged 6-2) that I had a sore belly and hurt my arm so the dr fixed the problem that's why I couldn't pick them up if I had told them the truth they would tell everyone they came across lol and I prefer to keep it private 😀

I told my little ones 2and half year and 4yr old that i had moles cut out from undermy boobies that why its swollen and sore and i cant pick them up... because I know they will tell everyone lol..

As for my older two, 12yr old and 11yr old i just told them the truth and explained that it is something personal i did for myself that only i get to share the information with whom i chose. My daughter got a little upset why she cant tell anyone so i told her how would you feel if i told everyone when your peroid is due? Its the same principle and its personal 

My 11 yr old son was just like thats gross i dont want to see them lol

I have told both my twins 10 boy and girl the truth. The boy overheard me telling a friend, so he asked me, and I sat down with them and explained it. I have large boobies so getting a BL and BA. They will be staying home with my eldest daughter and their dad and I will be going to Sydney for 10days. They were fine with it and I did remind them, what is said in the house, stays in the house 😃 hope this helps 

I have three little boys 6 and under so I don't plan on saying anything. Master 6 may notice and if he asks any questions I will just say I've been doing lots of pec (show him the area) and chest exercises in the gym to make my muscles bigger 😉 I'm quite certain he will be happy with that answer. Of course when they are much older and if it comes up I will tell them the truth. BUT I am very conscious of not portraying an unrealistic perception of what a woman's body should look like and I also don't want my boys to think that girls ( and boys)  need to have surgery to perfect parts of their body they don't love. The kid thing is a tough one! If I had young girls.. I probably wouldn't get it done as Id be horrified if they did it, especially before having kids and I'd want them to love their body however it looked. Although here I am getting mine done.. So really I'm a walking contradiction! :/   Such a tough one!! You'll know what to tell your own children when you are ready . Gooodluck x 

Edited by Becsingas

I have a 9yr girl 6yr boy and 3yr boy.

i am completely (well I WAS 😀) flat and I just told them "mummy is getting boobs " they all had a poke when I got home lol.

i was worried about creating self image issues for my daughter but I just make sure I keep telling her she is perfect and I have always tried to teach her to be a good person anyway.

as far as her telling other people, I really don't care. I'm a big girl and if I choose to get boobs, it's no one else's business.