Subtle and discrete

To all blondes...

I had my BA 4 weeks ago and had my hair coloured today - going back to blond after being darker over winter! My hair snapped! I didn't even go super blond as I'm transitioning back slowly! Not super bad but bad enough. After my hairdresser asked me a hundred questions I revealed I'd had a GA four weeks ago. He said it does affect your hair, changes the texture and weakens it! 

So just an FYI girls. My advice, tell your hairdresser you've had a GA recently! Hmmm, maybe I need to get him to cut me a fringe! 😥

Im a hairdresser too, and yeah medications can affect your hair but certainly not to that extent!! If you're darker he has to have used a bleach to lift the existing colour and my guess is he's either left it on too long, or used heat lamps, or the wrong developer.... It certainly should not have snapped your hair!

It shouldn't have made that much of a difference! It would have been something to do with the bleach to lift the colour, maybe a high volume developer that did it. 

Mine didn't make a difference to my hair with the medications, just coloured as per usual.

Would have been what the hair dresser used, probably left too long :) 

Thanks ladies. He checked it after 20mins (and washed it) and said it would normally take longer? No heat lamps! Must have been the product. I used to be super blond which I've never had an issues with - he's been doing my hair 2 years now and nothing like this has happened!! Do I need a new hairdresser? Don't need hair breakage 2 weeks out from spring carnival! 

I have Non-dyed brunette hair and had GA on Monday and think my hair has been lovely the two times I've washed it since. Maybe it's the nice new natural shampoo I'm using, but still, wow - good to know GA can have an effect on even something like your hair, I had no idea!

Everyting affects the hair but I agree not this much ! I bleach my hair all the time and my clients without asking them if they have had Ga or on there periods or hormone replacement lol ,someone doesn't want to take responsibility for there actions it looks , get onto a good reconstructor and coconut oil it ,I now use coconut oil on ends prior to any bleach application 

I had my hair dyed blonde 4 weeks post op too and had no major issues but I'm still suffering from post partem hair loss and it's been 13 months since Bub was born. Could ithe breakage be a mix of GA and post partem hair weakness?

I had my hair dyed blonde 4 weeks post op too and had no major issues but I'm still suffering from post partem hair loss and it's been 13 months since Bub was born. Could ithe breakage be a mix of GA and post partem hair weakness?

thanks hon. Nope. Youngest 21months now and he was the first I had hair loss with! It stopped at about 14 months, so not long now :-)

I know my hair and after a couple of days I think about it I think he just f**ked it up! I also don't like my colour! I Was very blond, always have been and In May, for the first time ever, he convinced me to go darker which I did (haven't had my hair coloured since May as colour was ok) so my hair was (or so I thought) in tip top condition!

My hairdresser wouldn't book me again until dec and said that even then he couldnt guarantee I wouldn't have the same problem! 

I feel like going to another hairdresser soon but don't know if that will make things worse?

Needless to say I'm in the hunt for a new hairdresser! Inner North west if anyone has suggestions! 

Everyting affects the hair but I agree not this much ! I bleach my hair all the time and my clients without asking them if they have had Ga or on there periods or hormone replacement lol ,someone doesn't want to take responsibility for there actions it looks , get onto a good reconstructor and coconut oil it ,I now use coconut oil on ends prior to any bleach application 

Sorry if this sounds silly but do you mean the coconut oil I have in my pantry? x

I've also used coconut oil as a hair treatment on my light golden blonde hair for 10 years - amazing stuff :)

I'm a natural dark brunette and every time my sister does my regrowth, 1 hour before, I give myself a coconut oil hair treatment (& leave in) - the bleaching doesn't sting my scalp at all!

I also use it a weekly hair treatment on Sunday afternoons (sit in it for 2 hours) before shampooing and conditioning my hair, my hair is so soft and healthy from regular use of it :) 

Coconut oil is better than any other hair treatment for blondes !! I love it !!

Will have to try it out! 

Update: I popped into a hair salon today recommended by a couple of friends and the senior colourist said that as he went dark over my bleached/blond hair that you can't just then go back to using bleech without it causing damage! She said I need to wait it out and see her in 8 weeks. It'll be a slow process but I'll eventually get there! She also said she would never recommend this blond/dark process to any of her clients as its a long road back to blond! Old mate made it sound like a cinch when he convinced me to go dark! 

So it turns out it's  not the GA which he blamed it on, just his poor knowledge and skills!