Fi Fi

Safest option GA? Twightlight Sedation?

I had a twighlight this time around ,felt no different (was completely out of it ) to a GA except for the recovery was very different that's why I chose it as I have pretty nasty side effects ,but most people are okay with GA in general 

I could be wrong but my sister who's a surgery nurse said in most cases twighlight is just different as they don't need to fully intubate as you are not fully paralysed like with a GA , they paralyse the area that's being operated on only so ur put to sleep the same but not fully paralysed ,hope that makes sense 

I don't really know the answer, but I had a GA and my anethetist told me that I wasn't going to be intubated.

I think the media about the risks that we saw recently was more about an overuse of local anethetic rather than GA vs twilight....?

Recovery is faster with a twilight, but some people wake up and see stuff that's happening (and remember it) - thinking about the post I saw recently where the girl was watching her own BA happen in the lights above her 😳

I had twilight. I was out of it and cant remember much at all  like walking to the car afterwards. My surgeon explained to me that you can still move example itch your nose etc  like when you are sleeping. So they restrain your arms. On twilight you cant form memories at all. You can wake up yes....  a freaky thought but they just give you more to knock you out again. The nurse gave me a teeny tiny bit to calm the nerves before giving me antibiotics with a needle in my thigh and i was instantly affected but not fully out. GA you are totally paralyzed and cant wake up.  In terms of safest. I think all medical interventions have risks so that makes the decision hard. 

A GA is the way to go for any major surgery. There is no way that l would let anyone cut me open under twilight! GA are done all the time on people that have multiple medical issues and are elderly. Agree with Don saying it is safer. :)

Ugghhhh I will look for a good article that describes the difference between twilight and general because so many girls are not well informed. I am an anaesthetic nurse and I work assisting an anaesthetist inducing during and waking patients from operations every single day.

- having a general anaesthetic means you are unconscious for the entire operation.

-having twilight means you are 'sedated' to some extent. You may remember something and you may not. Everyone is different and there are many different levels of sedation. This 'sedation' is given through an IV drip.

you cannot have part or your body paralised for twilight sedation (the only exception to this is a spinal anaesthetic for surgery that is waist down eg hip or knee). You cannot just paralise the breast. Muscle paralysis is only done under a general anaesthetic when the ventilator breathes for you. If you paralize someone who is awake they cannot breath for themselves....muscle paralysis is just that, it does not provide pain relief, the pain relief comes from local anaesthetic and pain killers that the anaesthetist puts in your IV drip.

Muscle paralysis is usually done for surgical benefit...having relaxed muscles can make it easier for the surgeon to operate than having tight muscles. In saying that some surgeons don't care either way, so do.

having a general anaesthetic or twilight anaesthetic both carry risks. What is safest for one person will not be safest for everyone. Talk to your anaesthetists about your concerns and questions and together come up with a plan that is both safe and reassuring for you as an individual. 

I have had a few GA's and felt very safe having them done.  Only once did I have a bad recovery but the anaesthetist used some different drugs that I had not had before so I was so out of it.

Have had dental work under a twilight and I hated it.  Don't know if that would be the same twilight as having your boobs done.

Me personally I like being completely knocked out.

Very informative aljen:) 

i opted for a twighlight as I have had about 6 ga in last 2 years and it did affect me personally but it's a exteme amount of General in a short period of time , I knew I wanted to have my implants back in so I opted for twighlight as I have suffered greatly from memory loss of events , lucky I wrote important things down as I was still aware my memory was sketchy so I noted everything from surgerys to bills but I did forget things that I would usually remember like dates phone numbers , and multi tasking became a great effort at least I remembered events that where either traumatic it exciting , GA is not bad it's just something I chose this time round as I knew I had way too much