LisiR

Has anyone's PA recommended Rapid Recovery method?

Hi ladies

I'm 11 days away from having my BA and an wondering if anyone has tried or been recommended to use rapid recovery method of stretching post op? Stretches include holding arms above head for 15 secs then pulling elbows back for 15 secs and repeat few times per day. 

I've got 2 kids so want to get up and moving as soon as I feel up to it.

Cheers 😊

It was something I saw on You Tube so wasn't sure if it is something recommended in Australia or an American thing. There was an article by a surgeon I remember looking at but it was a while ago

Where are your incisions? I was encouraged to wash my hair the day after surgery. I did this suprisingly easily. I was also recommended a bra that went over my head so was forced to lift my arms. I've been able to reach things above my head today easily and I'm day 5 post op. I've also been lightly stretching my shoulders because my back is killing me. I don't think trying to lightly stretch will hurt? It's been totally fine for me so far

Where are your incisions? I was encouraged to wash my hair the day after surgery. I did this suprisingly easily. I was also recommended a bra that went over my head so was forced to lift my arms. I've been able to reach things above my head today easily and I'm day 5 post op. I've also been lightly stretching my shoulders because my back is killing me. I don't think trying to lightly stretch will hurt? It's been totally fine for me so far

Hi Carli-This is interesting. My Ps said to avoid putting arms above my head level for 2 weeks to prevent haematoma. I am so glad to hear you could do this safely because I sometimes accidentally put my arms up to reach for things because I just need to.

My instructions were to stretch my neck side to side and up and down, draw my shoulder blades back and lift my arms level with my shoulders in front and then to the side. I'm 6 weeks PO and have been able to lift above my head for only about a week and a half. 

I have two little kids and was really worried about recovery. It's been absolutely fine, I've just had to take it slow in the early days. 

Hi ladies

I'm 11 days away from having my BA and an wondering if anyone has tried or been recommended to use rapid recovery method of stretching post op? Stretches include holding arms above head for 15 secs then pulling elbows back for 15 secs and repeat few times per day. 

I've got 2 kids so want to get up and moving as soon as I feel up to it.

Cheers 😊

I used rapid recovery method of stretching post op for my second BA - my PS really encouraged it :)

Yep, I did all those stretches too, I do think it contributed to me recovering faster than usual, I definitely recovered the quickest from that BA out of the 3 BA's I have undergone.

I really believes it works! Not a gimmick.

It also really helped reduce my back pain throughout my recovery.

Good luck with it xxx

My PS encouraged stretching post op. They have a video on the website of what to do but basically it was the above plus rolling your shoulder backwards. I was able to lift my arms above my head straight away. 

I used rapid recovery method of stretching post op for my second BA - my PS really encouraged it :)

Yep, I did all those stretches too, I do think it contributed to me recovering faster than usual, I definitely recovered the quickest from that BA out of the 3 BA's I have undergone.

I really believes it works! Not a gimmick.

It also really helped reduce my back pain throughout my recovery.

Good luck with it xxx

Thanks for your reply Ellymelly. I've read so much about slow recovery times and want to do everything possible to speed up my recovery so I can get back my normal routines as busy mum. 

All the best 😊

My PS encouraged stretching post op. They have a video on the website of what to do but basically it was the above plus rolling your shoulder backwards. I was able to lift my arms above my head straight away. 

hi yehyeh

thanks for your reply. I'm so happy to hear that some women are using this method successfully as I'm really keen to get moving asap after BA. 

Were yours under muscle?

Only have to wait another 11 days- hurry up time!

cheers 😊

Some surgeons prefer them , if you are a bleeder they will put them in its said to reduce things like seroma /hematoma , I had drains before and nothing came out of them it was the surgeons preference , but some girls bleed heaps and should of had drains :( if you can have drains I would opt for it as a good precaution 

Yes, same here. My PS says to get our arms moving straight away so that you don't seize up, but no real specific instructions about stretching. I felt like I wanted to stretch, so I did some gentle ones. I just avoided anything that was uncomfortable, but the stretching actually felt good to do. Getting some clothes over my head can still be a little tricky If they're not particularly stretchy (I'm 2 weeks PO tomorrow), but I've been lifting my arms over my head and have had relatively good movement since about day 3. 

Thanks ladies you've all been very helpful.  

Did anyone feel as though they were harming their incisions at all while stretching?  

I like your pic :)

No, no harm stretching carefully, your incisions with rapid recovery heal very fast, like there is no oozing of wounds really, everything is closed up really well so you can stretch away and not worry!

I wish all BA's used rapid recovery - I love it!!

It'll be a breeze for you :)  xxx