Cathy

BRAZILLIANS - The Good, The Bad and The Very Ugly

Hi Cathy I read the thread, so sorry what you and the other girls are going through. I cant imagine the pain and emotional distress. but thank you for sharing your story. it has made me want to research more about what I am willing to put into my body and the risks involved. does Brazilian implants only refer to the Brazilian or is the textured ones as well?? I saw a warning about textured implants can possibly remove breast tissue when or if you need revision surgery??? scarey to think about it.

I am so sorry for your awful time but thank you for bringing to light the reality of how bad the risks are and that it does happen.

its definitely got me thinking about things  more seriously. hope you are ok soon xox

I asked my surgeon just yesterday as I wanted to get the brazilian implants and he said they have stopped production at the moment due to contamination in the factory they are made or something crazy like that... that was enough of a turn off for me

I have a read of the thread and I hope all goes well for you xx

Hi Prue,  thanks for your kind words.  There are quite a few of us on here in the same boat.

We're referring to the polyurethane coated implants.  Mine were Silimed brand, polyurethane coated anatomicals (teardrops).

The polyurethane coating is like glue once it gets inside you - a sticky mess.  If you need to get them out for any reason in the first year to year and a half (and it happens reasonably often) they are so sticky that it's impossible to remove them without cutting away some of your own natural breast with them.  This is particularly the case if you have had them in less than 12 -18 months.

The theory is that they are somewhat easier to remove after the 12 -18 month mark because by this time the polyurethane coating actually breaks down and disintegrates into your body (doing goodness knows what harm). You're then left with regular textured implants.

A "feature" of the polyurethane coated implants is that they stay where they're put, in other words, they don't move, creating a very un-natural and un-appealing look on most women with little or no breast tissue.  Women often have to wait the 12 -18 months (approx.) before they actually like the look of their brazillians, if at all.

So why don't we just get regular textured implants in the first place, and like them straight away, and not have the risk of having them out and having our breast tissue ripped out?

For me, it was because I was told that the brazillians had an extremely low rate of capsular contracture and displacement compared to other implants.  That is completely untrue. I got cc after only 4 short months of having brazillians -  my breasts were rock hard and painful.  My previous regular textured implants were in for 16 years without any cc.  There are plenty of other ladies who had the same thing happen to them.

My new PS who removed them and tried to fix up the mess says they are a "gimmick" implant and would not touch them.

Good luck  xxx

late_2014_early_2015_2015-01-18_013.thum

late_2014_early_2015_2015-01-26_057.thum

I had Brazillians after my textured Meghan implants got severe capsular contracture.  So far so good, 11 months post opp and they have settled very nicely. Everyone is suited to different implants. I have found the Brazillian implants so much better for me. I got CC within 3 months after my 1st surgery, my surgeon completely fobbed me off saying I had tight muscles.  He told me they were under the muscle.  In fact they were fully over.

So for me the Brazillians have been good.

I feel sorry for any girl that has a terrible complication after any surgery.

Hi Prue,  thanks for your kind words.  There are quite a few of us on here in the same boat.

We're referring to the polyurethane coated implants.  Mine were Silimed brand, polyurethane coated anatomicals (teardrops).

The polyurethane coating is like glue once it gets inside you - a sticky mess.  If you need to get them out for any reason in the first year to year and a half (and it happens reasonably often) they are so sticky that it's impossible to remove them without cutting away some of your own natural breast with them.  This is particularly the case if you have had them in less than 12 -18 months.

The theory is that they are somewhat easier to remove after the 12 -18 month mark because by this time the polyurethane coating actually breaks down and disintegrates into your body (doing goodness knows what harm). You're then left with regular textured implants.

A "feature" of the polyurethane coated implants is that they stay where they're put, in other words, they don't move, creating a very un-natural and un-appealing look on most women with little or no breast tissue.  Women often have to wait the 12 -18 months (approx.) before they actually like the look of their brazillians, if at all.

So why don't we just get regular textured implants in the first place, and like them straight away, and not have the risk of having them out and having our breast tissue ripped out?

For me, it was because I was told that the brazillians had an extremely low rate of capsular contracture and displacement compared to other implants.  That is completely untrue. I got cc after only 4 short months of having brazillians -  my breasts were rock hard and painful.  My previous regular textured implants were in for 16 years without any cc.  There are plenty of other ladies who had the same thing happen to them.

My new PS who removed them and tried to fix up the mess says they are a "gimmick" implant and would not touch them.

Good luck  xxx

thank you cathy for clearing that up for me the ps i saw uses textured not Brazilian so thats good. I would definitely be stearing away from them otherwise. There really is limited information on the risks of them which is really concerning  😕 

late_2014_early_2015_2015-01-18_013.thum

I had Brazillians after my textured Meghan implants got severe capsular contracture.  So far so good, 11 months post opp and they have settled very nicely. Everyone is suited to different implants. I have found the Brazillian implants so much better for me. I got CC within 3 months after my 1st surgery, my surgeon completely fobbed me off saying I had tight muscles.  He told me they were under the muscle.  In fact they were fully over.

So for me the Brazillians have been good.

I feel sorry for any girl that has a terrible complication after any surgery.

hi gracie, your cc looked painful. Your brazillians do look really good. Thats great they have worked for you. I will be looking at getting textured. Still deciding on afew things but have to see ps again to talk about it all. So much to research and find out and some information isn't freely available 😕

thank you cathy for clearing that up for me the ps i saw uses textured not Brazilian so thats good. I would definitely be stearing away from them otherwise. There really is limited information on the risks of them which is really concerning  😕 

hi gracie, your cc looked painful. Your brazillians do look really good. Thats great they have worked for you. I will be looking at getting textured. Still deciding on afew things but have to see ps again to talk about it all. So much to research and find out and some information isn't freely available 😕

Thanks hun, yes it was.  Not everyone gets it but it can happen with any implant. 

Yeah there is so much more available to research nowadays.  When I had my 1st was done there was nothing really.  You just saw the surgeon and hoped for the best.  Mine was featured in a lot of magazine stories doing breast enlargements so I thought I was going to get a good job.

Good luck. Is it exciting thinking about getting new boobs.  I know I was so looking forward to getting rid of my old tennis balls

Looking good Gracie:)

Thanks x

THE UGLY......

My suggestion - brazillian's look revolting and fake and like bolt-ons on very lean women with no existing breast tissue!

I ALSO DISPLACED BADLY WITH THIS IMPLANT - not "the holy grail" implant at all!

THIS PIC WAS AT 6-7 months too, not the day after surgery, they never changed at all, worst implant ever :(

boltons.jpg

Are Brazillians the same as the brand Polytech? I'm a bit confused exactly what brazillian means.  

Thanks

as I understand it "Brazilians" is the nickname generally given to any polyurethane coated implant as they were first only made in Brazil. Also known as "furry Brazilians". I think Polytech make a number of different types of implants including "Brazilians".  If they are coated in polyurethane then that is the same as "brazilians". It's the coating that the nickname is really referring to. Hope that helps. 

Are Brazillians the same as the brand Polytech? I'm a bit confused exactly what brazillian means.  

Thanks

German polytech implants are coated in the exact same foam as brazillians so they are the same thing. They behave the exact same way - as in they stick to your chest cavity. They're just marketed under a different brand name. They carry the exact same risks too - in relation to the foam coating.

Hope this clears up the confusion for you :) 

German polytech implants are coated in the exact same foam as brazillians so they are the same thing. They behave the exact same way - as in they stick to your chest cavity. They're just marketed under a different brand name. They carry the exact same risks too - in relation to the foam coating.

Hope this clears up the confusion for you :)

Thank you ladies for your replies, this makes much more sense.  I was looking at getting Polytech implants at Cosmeditour in Sydney but can't find much info on them and the only info I can find seem to show that there was/is some risk to being carcinogenic. They are also not FDA approved in America. They aren't offered by many surgeons in Australia and this worries me.  Plus from what I've read they don't usually drop and fluff like other types of implants.  Cosmeditour in Qld use Allergan only.  This is all so confusing. 

Sorry for rambling but I haven't told many friends and don't know anyone personally that's had a BA to ask questions of.  Googling can be even more confusing sometimes too. 

Thank you ladies for your replies, this makes much more sense.  I was looking at getting Polytech implants at Cosmeditour in Sydney but can't find much info on them and the only info I can find seem to show that there was/is some risk to being carcinogenic. They are also not FDA approved in America. They aren't offered by many surgeons in Australia and this worries me.  Plus from what I've read they don't usually drop and fluff like other types of implants.  Cosmeditour in Qld use Allergan only.  This is all so confusing. 

Sorry for rambling but I haven't told many friends and don't know anyone personally that's had a BA to ask questions of.  Googling can be even more confusing sometimes too. 

Good idea :) yes, no FDA approval, the poly foam is not healthy and possible carcinogen & as you can see from pics here they give a very 'bolt on' look to your chest...very very unnatural looking....they don't drop either :( 

Any non-sticky implant will give a beautiful natural result with no carcinogenic worries  :) 

Best of luck with your new boobies xxx 

THE UGLY......

My suggestion - brazillian's look revolting and fake and like bolt-ons on very lean women with no existing breast tissue!

I ALSO DISPLACED BADLY WITH THIS IMPLANT - not "the holy grail" implant at all!

THIS PIC WAS AT 6-7 months too, not the day after surgery, they never changed at all, worst implant ever :(

boltons.jpg

Thank you Melina for sharing that.  People need to know!!!!