overthinkingit

Any horse owners out there?

Morning Ladies,

Just wondering those of you who own and ride horses how long post op before you could get back in the saddle? I am assuming my PS is going to tell be no earlier then 12 weeks by the look of the list he has given me. 

Also how did you go with day to day care of the horses post op? I am going to pre mix feeds and have them stored at the paddock so that I can just walk to them and feed while I can't drive but I am pretty sure I wont be in any state to throw a rug up onto a 17hh horse. Even grooming and cleaning out feet I think is going to be a mission. 

**Following** I'm a horse owner and was wondering the same thing. 

What are you having done? I have been told light riding at 6-8 weeks if your upto it but nothing strenuous (I am already dreading the trotting or canter!). I would say not to pick up feet or anything for quite some time though just incase. As for throwing rugs on, i'd find something to stand on so you don't need to throw so high. I'm lucky my mare is only 15hh haha.

Hoping I can do all the basics at least, otherwise looks like the fiance is getting some horse care training (he hates horses lol).

Definitely following!! I made a post months ago about this but didn't get any feedback... I also have horses and am booked in to have mine done the first week of decemeber! I have had it booked in since early this year but had to wait until now so that it coincided with the off season.  I do high level eventing so I can't afford to give him too much time off, but my sisters will bring him back into work when I'm about 4 weeks post op and then I'm hoping to start light riding at 5/6 weeks post op! The comp season starts back up in February though, so I really hope I'll be able to get back to my full riding ASAP :/

@chloes1122 I did the same, wanted late November so that I only miss the first dressage comp of 2016. I've planned it so my daughter can ride my good horse there and I can be her ground support that way no one will question why I've left the others at home. If she is out on him she needs my undivided attention and support. 

I don't think your surgeon will clear you to ride before 12 weeks. 

ANOTHER FOLLOWER HERE!!!! 😄

I work full time on a stud and am booked for the 2nd of December. Hoping recovery won't take long. My surgeon said roughly 6 weeks till I can ride again. We do a lot of breakers and pre-training so I'm a little concerned about jumping on too soon 😳. I have been planing on getting my BA for about 2yrs now but my work just seemed to keep getting in the way of it and like you girls there is only a small window of the year to be able to get it done. Not sure how long it will take before I can start clean the boxes out again to??😳 good luck to you girls anyway.

@sissy If you were getting overs you might be back to cleaning boxes earlier then unders. Maybe a little pooper scooper quick clean may not be too bad but I can't imagine being able to push a barrow or shovel a whole stable out at 6 week going by the time line list of activities my PS game me. 

I would be worried about even leading a breaker before the muscles are properly healed. 

I filled the feed shed, mixed up a heap of feeds and pulled all rugs off yesterday. All shoes are off and feet are trimmed, I made sure no one was due for worming or vaccinations close to my op date.

Poor pony's are going to be roughing it, feed literally thrown at them until I am properly mobile again. Two will cope fine the other two are real princesses so they will be sooking for days 

Following too. I work at a racing stable. Don't ride much anymore, but a bit paranoid about even having to lead one after my op as they can be fresh and unpredictable. Also concerned about saddling and bridling since I'm quite short so it requires me to lift my arms above my head multiple times. Haven't had my consult yet, but pretty confident I'll be getting unders due to my lack of breast tissue. Hopefully I don't need to take too much time off.

Horses being horses my big guy slashed his legs while I was away so 2 days PO I had a sooky 17hh tb who needed his legs cleaned and one bandaged. Hubby was super protective and didn't want me anywhere near him in case I got kicked but he couldn't clean it and bandage it on his own, we ended up compromising he pulled his tail towards me so the horses weight was all on the leg I was bandaging preventing him from being able to lift it to kick. (Not that he was even trying to kick just hubby being protective). 

I did refuse to hold the lead rope but,I can't even pull a car door closed there is no way I could hold a horse that didn't want to stand still. 

I am thankful that I don't tolerate bad manners from my horses. They are making this easy for me. My broodmare needs oral medication daily and ive been able to walk up scratch her wither and stick the syringe in her mouth without even putting a halter on since my op. And the big sook with the cut leg stood still eating dinner while I changed his bandage on my own this afternoon. Its made me realise just how important it is for your horses to respect your personal space and to not use you as a scratching post.

I'm hearing you Kura. We break in and pre-train gallopers. I think you may have to allow your self a good amount of healing time. My op is in 2 days 😃😃🎉🎉🎉.

Yay! Good luck and speedy recovery.  Let us know how you go :)

On 29/11/2015 at 5:57 AM, sissy said:

I'm hearing you Kura. We break in and pre-train gallopers. I think you may have to allow your self a good amount of healing time. My op is in 2 days 😃😃🎉🎉🎉.

Hey sissy, just wondering how your op went and how long you ended up needing to take off?  I just had some consults a few weeks ago, and one surgeon recommended I take 6 weeks, but 2 others said 3 weeks should be fine.

On 14/03/2016 at 4:57 PM, kura said:

Hey sissy, just wondering how your op went and how long you ended up needing to take off?  I just had some consults a few weeks ago, and one surgeon recommended I take 6 weeks, but 2 others said 3 weeks should be fine.

I havent had a day of regret ☺☺. Recovery was a breeze. I have no worries riding at all.I wasn't to bad at four and a half weeks riding but I wouldn't of liked to do it any earlier though. Good luck