tomorrow's TT - how much time before I can go back to work

silke

Hi, I am a Newbie on here, just joined. I was told 2 weeks ago that by TT surgery is booked in for tomorrow (18.11). I need to be in hospital at 1.15 pm - pretty late, right?

Anyway, I am so scared! But reading through the forum it looks like that is normal. Biggest issue - I am scared that I don't wake up from the operation. Second issue, I only have a son who can look after me when I come home but he needs to go work and can't take time off. I don't have any partner/family/relatives who could look after me or even visit me in hospital. I think I can deal with that part lol. The pain after the operation......... I am prepared for the worst and trust that the painkillers do the job.

Biggest problem and the reason why I am on here, how long before I can go back to work? I was offered a new job today, after I was made redundant in October. So I am really happy that I found a new job but they need me to start asap. I have given myself 2 1/2 weeks to recover, so my start date would be 7.12. What is your opinion? Is that enough time? Will I be able to walk without them noticing?

Thank you :-) 

Hi silke I had my TT on Mon i dont have a lot of pain i was on morphine from when i came out at 8:30 pm mon night and the took the morphine of me at lunch time yesterday  im only on panadol now 2 X 500 mg one i thought i would be in super pain but im not there is a dull pain but nothing you couldnt handle my bum is causing more pain by laying in the one spot its numb now i think lol...

Im going back to work on the 7th Dec as well i think we should be ok

goodluck with your surgery today 

mumO5

Hi silke I had my TT on Mon i dont have a lot of pain i was on morphine from when i came out at 8:30 pm mon night and the took the morphine of me at lunch time yesterday  im only on panadol now 2 X 500 mg one i thought i would be in super pain but im not there is a dull pain but nothing you couldnt handle my bum is causing more pain by laying in the one spot its numb now i think lol...

Im going back to work on the 7th Dec as well i think we should be ok

goodluck with your surgery today 

mumO5

Glad to hear Mum05. I am starting to get nervous. One more question - how did you go with peeing straight after the operation? I know it's a stupid question but I run to the toilet so often that I am a bit concerned that I need to go to the loo as soon as wake up  after the operation :-(

I survived it! Day 2 after the operation today. I had a really tough day yesterday, I was in so much pain and the nurses weren't a big help. Too busy. I had to wait for painkillers for an hour each time and the same with the toilet pan. Nothing worse busting and you can't go because they ignore the bell. Unfortunately I couldn't get up yesterday at all, I was in so much pain that they finally managed to get me morphine (after they saw my tears). Today I go up and saw the surgeon for the first time since the op was done. My tummy looks fantastic! I might need to stay 5 days because of the pain I am in. Hopefully I can have my first shower tomorrow. 

Hi mum05. Feeling much better. Keeping in a catheter for a few days makes so much more sense. But they wanted me to get up and moving asap. Today is day 4 after the op, still in hospital but can hopefully go home on Monday. Walking is a bit better but man, getting in and out of bed is so painful. Do you have the same problem? I wonder how tight my binder should sit? How do I know is tight enough? The nurses put it in for me but it feels loose. On the other hand I don't want it to tight. I hope they are removing one of the drainages today as they really bother me. Talk soon! 

Hi again that's good your feeling ok ...I just put my binders on the way the hospital done it not to tight but tight enough to keep the muscle tight I have 2 of them that they put  on me at once ....

Yes it does hurt getting in and out of bed I'm day 6 now I'm able to roll a little to the side to get out of bed lol (like an old granny ) lol ...

I think I had my drains removed day 3 , but I have noticed my ankles have swollen heaps I'm on anti inflammatory tablet's but still swell...

If I sit , lye down with feet up or walk still no difference I thought because I have walked a little  they are swelling but it doesn't make a difference..

MumO5

Thanks Gabby1 :-)

Mum05, I am getting better with getting out of bed. I put the head of the bed right up so it pushes my upper body up. Then I just get my feed down and I can stand up. No more rolling on the site, that was too painful for me. 

Mate you wearing those hospital stockings? They reall help me, I still have them on. And I get daily injection in my legs, they are nasty and painful. 

Walking is pretty good, I now do two laps around the ward a few times a day. Takes me around 15 min and I walk like a old granny lol

I stillneed to to sit down when I shower. 

Are you happy with the decision to get a  TT done? 

Hi Silke I'm going great still very tender ....

I never had stocking on but I had a machine on my calf muscles for 4 days now I just walk everywhere that keeps the clotting away I hope ...

I had my first check up at day 6 or 7 I think it was and Dr Boonchai asked me how much walking I was doing I told him 3 km which is what I had done in a day he laughed at me and said wow lot of walking ok but you be very tired which I was I had to keep stopping and yes walkin g like an old granny lol still do but a little straighter.....

He also said I could lay on my side on my stomach now but no thanks not just yet, j would love to but a bit scarred too ...I am happy so far but will prob Need a revision on my belly button it's ugly I havery a hernia under my button but didn't know until TT day and he needs a different surgeon on hand to fix it he told me 6 months if still the same come back and we can fix ...

I can stand in the shower now and let the hot water run on my back it feels so good ...

Hope you heel prop and quickly keep in touch with me ...

Mum05

Congrats Mum05 and Silke!

Mum05- how was the lovely Dr B? Did you get the upgrade you were hoping? :)

hi Gabby1 

How are you ? DR Boonchai is great as usual I love him such a lovely and funny man in the 2 times I have used him for surgery and any correspondence thag j have had with him and no problem I just love him my favorite.... He is doing good but not spending a lot of time in PIAC anymore as he is doing further studies...

No I nenever got my boobs upgraded this time i will have to wait lol ...

mumO5

Hi Silke I'm going great still very tender ....

I never had stocking on but I had a machine on my calf muscles for 4 days now I just walk everywhere that keeps the clotting away I hope ...

I had my first check up at day 6 or 7 I think it was and Dr Boonchai asked me how much walking I was doing I told him 3 km which is what I had done in a day he laughed at me and said wow lot of walking ok but you be very tired which I was I had to keep stopping and yes walkin g like an old granny lol still do but a little straighter.....

He also said I could lay on my side on my stomach now but no thanks not just yet, j would love to but a bit scarred too ...I am happy so far but will prob Need a revision on my belly button it's ugly I havery a hernia under my button but didn't know until TT day and he needs a different surgeon on hand to fix it he told me 6 months if still the same come back and we can fix ...

I can stand in the shower now and let the hot water run on my back it feels so good ...

Hope you heel prop and quickly keep in touch with me ...

Mum05

Hi Mum05 - so nice to hear from you. It's interesting to read your progress. It's day 11 post Op today. I was released on day 5 when my final drainage was removed. Ouch that was painful. I had that machine for the carve muscle on for just a day but need to wear the stockings for another 5 days. I am still walking slightly bended but showering isn't a problem at all. Had my first sneeze yesterday - omg that was painful lol. 

3 km is a lot, I feel pretty exhausted after walking around all day in the house. I am not on any painkillers anymore and saw my surgeon last Friday when he removed the stitches from my belly button. You don't like yours??? Mine looks so different, it's a triangle and I hope it doesn't stay like that. I still have the tape over my scar and I forgot to ask the surgeon how long that will stay on. 

I wish I could get a back massage, my back is killing me as I just can't walk straight yet :-(

orherwise all good here, I have one more week to recover before starting a new job. 

Stay in touch xx 

I have one more week to recover before starting a new job. 

Hi Silke so how long has it been from surgery to now for you? I am getting TT done next week and am trying to guesstimate my recovery time (I haven't told many people I'm getting this done so would like to be able to look normal by walking upright by Christmas) :unsure:  Thanks!

Edited by MrsO

Hi MrsO

i had my TT on the 18.11, 12 days ago. 

Good of luck wit the operation. I think 3 weeks is a good recovery time. But it's different for every person. I have see girls doing shopping tours 4 days after their TT, others take 2 weeks to be able to walk (bended). 

I didn't tell anyone about my TT, I used a hernia operation with muscle tightening procedure as "excuse". 

It still surprises me how common this procedure is. And I thought I am a "rare case" until I found all the topics on this forum :-) 

• 1 month later...

Hi silke how are you feeling now ? Not good you were in so much pain ....

I had the catheter in for 2 days on day 3 I got up for the 1st time stayed in hospital for 4 days minimal pain but if I needed the nurses I rang my buzzer and at least 2 were there in seconds ....

I can't complain ....

Hope you recover quickly

MumO5

4 days?? My surgeon said I only have to stay overnight with mummy makeover ?