Post Op Weight Gain

December_boobs

I'm yet to have my operation but am very curious about the impact little to no exercise has had on those of you that are quite active. Obviously we are restricted in what we can do for a short period (six weeks for me). Not sure if this is standard but I've been told I can go for light strolls and that's about it in this time.

I understand there will be a slight gain from the implants alone because they're weighted. What I'm wondering is did you just lose muscle mass in this time and gain nothing or lose muscle and gain weight.

I'm sorry if this seems silly, I genuinely want to know is all because I know this six week period will be difficult enough without exercise. Want to mentally prepare myself in case I'm faced with other obstacles and I feel these might be a few.

I'm yet to have my operation but am very curious about the impact little to no exercise has had on those of you that are quite active. Obviously we are restricted in what we can do for a short period (six weeks for me). Not sure if this is standard but I've been told I can go for light strolls and that's about it in this time.

I understand there will be a slight gain from the implants alone because they're weighted. What I'm wondering is did you just lose muscle mass in this time and gain nothing or lose muscle and gain weight.

I'm sorry if this seems silly, I genuinely want to know is all because I know this six week period will be difficult enough without exercise. Want to mentally prepare myself in case I'm faced with other obstacles and I feel these might be a few.

I'm 5 weeks post op and started walking for a hour 3-4 times a week from say 3 weeks post op... I do feel like I've put on a few kilos but I feel more like I've become abit flabby especially my legs... The worst thing is that I have no motivation at all to work out... I get dressed to workout Ann's then just can't be bothered where as before I loves it but I think from having the time off I have just become unmotivated 

@blmason Are you unmotivated because you're still recovering? And given the circumstances walking three times a week shows you're pretty dedicated to stay on track!

@Pepper9 That's interesting, I really expected most would say they've gained weight over the recovery period. Was the weightloss related to a difficult recovery or did it just kinda happen?

You know what? As an exercise junkie to the point of obsessiveness at times, the main reason I put surgery off for so long was because of this fear. And my fears really were quite unfounded..... I began walking for 1-2 hours a day most days after about 3 weeks on and went back to gym at 6.5 wreks and was back to running 6-7km a week after that. My fitness and strength is now back to normal with the exception of push ups and pull-ups but I'm not sweating it.... 

@imperfectly_lou Was there any discomfort with the walking?

& it's a relief hearing your fitness level didn't change too much! I'm a long distance runner and the thought of not being able to do any of that scares me. From what you've just told me it seems like there have been little to no issues! Fingers crossed everything goes as smoothly for me!

You know what? As an exercise junkie to the point of obsessiveness at times, the main reason I put surgery off for so long was because of this fear. And my fears really were quite unfounded..... I began walking for 1-2 hours a day most days after about 3 weeks on and went back to gym at 6.5 wreks and was back to running 6-7km a week after that. My fitness and strength is now back to normal with the exception of push ups and pull-ups but I'm not sweating it.... 

Cani ask when you started taking any supplements again? Like pre work out or if you took a fat burner etc?

@blmason Are you unmotivated because you're still recovering? And given the circumstances walking three times a week shows you're pretty dedicated to stay on track!

@Pepper9 That's interesting, I really expected most would say they've gained weight over the recovery period. Was the weightloss related to a difficult recovery or did it just kinda happen?

no I didn't have a difficult recovery. I put it down to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I think I lost muscle, gained a little fat. I'm back up to my pre op weight now (minus the weight of the implants interestingly) at 3 months post op. 

I had the same fears as imperfectly lou and I was really concerned how mentally I would cope not training. I didn't really stop for long though. I would check with surgeon but should be able to do more than light walking. I was incline walking on treadmill, cycling on reclined bike and doing air squats and unweighted lunges in the first six weeks. 

i ultimately decided to take the benefit of going back to basics and when started light weights took the opportunity to really fine tune my technique. Lighter weights also helped me improve fitness so metabolic wise I'm fitter now than I was pre op, I re tested strength one rep maxes today and am about 90% of most lifts. 

I should add I totally comfort ate during initial recovery. I was incredibly hungry and indulged in lots of feel good foods just cos I felt like it...

Yeah I was told to keep heart rate down and light walking only for first two weeks and then built up from there. I think I commented on another thread that Olay the time I found it frustrating and it didn't feel like doing much apart from just feeling good being at the gym but when I did start training again I realised that it must have helped as wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to get back on track. Good luck! 

@imperfectly_lou Was there any discomfort with the walking?

& it's a relief hearing your fitness level didn't change too much! I'm a long distance runner and the thought of not being able to do any of that scares me. From what you've just told me it seems like there have been little to no issues! Fingers crossed everything goes as smoothly for me!

A bit initially. I started with 30mins on the treadmill which was a bit ouch once I pushed the incline up so I backed off a bit. Once I was about 3.5 weeks I was walking outside up to 13km with no pain except a bit of rubbing on my incisions. 

Cani ask when you started taking any supplements again? Like pre work out or if you took a fat burner etc?

I think it was at the 3.5-4 week Mark. I felt like rubbish the first 2 weeks, then went to visit my sister and newborn niece in NZ for a week so I think I started once I was home... 

I stopped all exerce for 6 weeks following surgery . I didn't gain any weight but made sure I ate healthy. I started exercise after 6 weeks but only leg work and abs . I did no chest or arms until 12 weeks . Went back to it all very slowly . Maintain a healthy diet and seriously it just a short time to give it up . I am back to my Gym  junkie routine and it didn't take long to get all my tone back . 

no I didn't have a difficult recovery. I put it down to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. I think I lost muscle, gained a little fat. I'm back up to my pre op weight now (minus the weight of the implants interestingly) at 3 months post op. 

I had the same fears as imperfectly lou and I was really concerned how mentally I would cope not training. I didn't really stop for long though. I would check with surgeon but should be able to do more than light walking. I was incline walking on treadmill, cycling on reclined bike and doing air squats and unweighted lunges in the first six weeks. 

i ultimately decided to take the benefit of going back to basics and when started light weights took the opportunity to really fine tune my technique. Lighter weights also helped me improve fitness so metabolic wise I'm fitter now than I was pre op, I re tested strength one rep maxes today and am about 90% of most lifts. 

I should add I totally comfort ate during initial recovery. I was incredibly hungry and indulged in lots of feel good foods just cos I felt like it...

@Pepper9 I am stressing about mentally not coping without the gym too! The physical changes I know I can fix over time so thats not a big worry but no upper body weights for 16 weeks is going to kill me. My PS said instructions are no upper body weights 4 weeks before and 12 weeks after, no supplements 2 weeks before and 6 weeks after. I have spent the last 3 weeks dying because I have been smashing my legs, lower back and abs that hard I can barely move. On the weekend I ended up carefully doing some bicep and tricep work but picked the exercises to avoid chest and dropped the weight right back because my legs and abs just couldn't take anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so worried about gaining weight through not  being able to exercise :(

I run 5km 2-3 times a week and do HIIT workouts twice a week. 

I know I'm going to gain around 800g just from the implants but I don't want to lose my fitness levels that I've been working on so hard, and to get all squishy. 

Im glad other ladies have the same worries as me. My op is Jan 21st so I am smashing out as much exercise as i can before then. Im doing the Kayla Itsines BBG guide which does use a lot of your own body and a few weights

I had my wisdom teeth taken out in my early twenties and I will never forget I burst out in tears when my surgeon told me I couldn't do any intense workouts for 2-3 weeks so this 6 week tip running and 12 weeks for weights is really messing with me now I don't even want to think about when the times comes as my body really does react to not working out. Will be even worse as Im expecting my period a week and a half after the op 

What supplements and fat burners does everyone use? Do you think it makes a difference?

iv always been really fit (was a dancer and trained long hours everyday) till I had my babies but still been size 8 and fit just not as good as I was. 

Thinking age also has something to do with it lol. Iv never taken supplements or anything and was wondering what your suggestions would be?

I'm 10 weeks PO and pre op weight but have started kicking my ass into gear to get fitter. I can't do gym and personal trainer as hubby works away and my youngest is not in school yet. So fitness is done at home. I have good variety of workouts just miss machines. 

I'm really into my weight training and  prior to surgery was FREAKING OUT about not being able to lift weights for so long during my recovery.

But it is what it is and I followed my post op instructions to the letter. And you know what? I had such a lovely break from the gym and just walked. And walked and walked. A little further everyday until I was back to feeling 'normal' around the 5-6 week mark.

Did I put on weight? Yep. But all the excess flab is gone now and I'm back to normal (13 weeks PO).

I've returned to the gym and still only doing body weight stuff. Have I lost muscle and strength? MASSIVELY. But I don't really care. My breasts were worth it and it's only a small amount of time in my life out of the gym in the grand scheme of things.

I think sometimes we (fitness junkies) need to step back and put all this fitness stuff into perspective. :) 

What supplements and fat burners does everyone use? Do you think it makes a difference?

iv always been really fit (was a dancer and trained long hours everyday) till I had my babies but still been size 8 and fit just not as good as I was. 

Thinking age also has something to do with it lol. Iv never taken supplements or anything and was wondering what your suggestions would be?

I'm 10 weeks PO and pre op weight but have started kicking my ass into gear to get fitter. I can't do gym and personal trainer as hubby works away and my youngest is not in school yet. So fitness is done at home. I have good variety of workouts just miss machines. 

I drink black coffee - that's about it for pre-post workout. Haha. So can't comment on the fat burners.

For me it's all about the food to 'get back into shape'. I could work out for hours a day every day and not see a bloody thing unless I'm eating like a bird. Boo.

I'm a green tea drinker and massively trying to watch what I eat. The weight I have lost has came off my ribs ?

i would really rather it came off my bum, hips , thighs, stomach but it has to come off my ribs and making life more difficult to get into sports bras lol. Always been my issue with trying to lose weight. That's why I never had any boobs. 

I'm a green tea drinker and massively trying to watch what I eat. The weight I have lost has came off my ribs ?

i would really rather it came off my bum, hips , thighs, stomach but it has to come off my ribs and making life more difficult to get into sports bras lol. Always been my issue with trying to lose weight. That's why I never had any boobs. 

I hear ya. My stomach is my problem area. I lose fat/muscle off my upper body so fast when I'm dieting. The rest stays put! Haha.