voluptuous_aj

Nurses- How long before returning to work?

I'm a nurse on a busy medical ward and I currently have approx. 3 weeks off PO before returning to work.... Can anyone tell me if this is long enough?  Or should I be trying to get more time off work???  

I really don't know what to expect for PO recovery.  I'm booked in for 18th Dec, and going away for a week over new years, will I be feeling relatively normal by then?? 

Im not a nurse but im 3 weeks post op ,even though I'm far better than I was a week ago I don't think I could manage working for more than a Couple of hours ! I start of good in day by noon im buggered and sore again ,I think by 5-6 weeks would be good as my sister is a nurse and I see how demanding her job is whilst im just pottering around house and ending up a painful mess 

Im not a nurse but im 3 weeks post op ,even though I'm far better than I was a week ago I don't think I could manage working for more than a Couple of hours ! I start of good in day by noon im buggered and sore again ,I think by 5-6 weeks would be good as my sister is a nurse and I see how demanding her job is whilst im just pottering around house and ending up a painful mess 

Thanks Katewell, this is what I'm scared of.... I will obviously have to be on my feet running around after people and worried I will tire so quickly.... Maybe it's time to request another 2minimum weeks off ??  Uh oh.... I don't think I thought this though enough lol 

I'm a nurse. I don't work on the wards anymore but I've taken 3 weeks off. I'm lucky because when I return I'll be doing non-clinical for 6 weeks.

Oh noooo.... my NUM (nurse unit manager for those who don't know) has flat out declined any further leave saying it's now maxed out in Jan..  I guess I should've expected that for this time of year, but now what do I do?!?!  

can you take the leave you have booked (I'm assuming its annual leave) then get a sick certificate for your op. Then you're entitled to those extra weeks of leave when you're supposed to be returning to work. 

Before my BL and BA l worked on an extremely busy and heavy medical ward. (We are talking obese, old and bariatric patients here) There is no way l would of gone back at three weeks. People can say 'take it easy' but you never know what situation you are going to get thrown into. I overdid my time off but l was lucky enough to have a supportive (male) NUM. I took three weeks annual leave, three weeks sick leave and then two weeks in charge (so desk duties) Overkill? For sure, but l wasn't going to take any chances! 

I would allow for at least four weeks, can you take sick leave? Good luck. :)

I've now had 4 x ops and work in emergency and have gone back after 2.5 weeks.  It's been fine, as we don't do that much lifting, and if we do there will be like four nurses rolling so you kind of pretend to lift whilst the other three do the work.

On the occasions I have needed to lift or push something I've just "oh my shoulder is a bit sore, would you mind doing it?" to a colleague or orderly as I have never let management know as my last NUM was very unprofessional and discuss everyone's confidential issues with other staff members.

My only worry is CPR - so I have avoided the resus rooms like a plague, but there are always some new grads that are mega keen to jump on a chest and about 20 people when someone arrests so touch wood I don't find an arrested patient.

"I know you've gone in cardiac arrest Mr demented 98 year-old with a "for all measures order" despite your multitude of co-morbidities, but do you know how much I've been through to get these bad boys fixed"?!

I've now had 4 x ops and work in emergency and have gone back after 2.5 weeks.  It's been fine, as we don't do that much lifting, and if we do there will be like four nurses rolling so you kind of pretend to lift whilst the other three do the work.

On the occasions I have needed to lift or push something I've just "oh my shoulder is a bit sore, would you mind doing it?" to a colleague or orderly as I have never let management know as my last NUM was very unprofessional and discuss everyone's confidential issues with other staff members.

My only worry is CPR - so I have avoided the resus rooms like a plague, but there are always some new grads that are mega keen to jump on a chest and about 20 people when someone arrests so touch wood I don't find an arrested patient.

"I know you've gone in cardiac arrest Mr demented 98 year-old with a "for all measures order" despite your multitude of co-morbidities, but do you know how much I've been through to get these bad boys fixed"?!

Hahahahah God I love you