I know this is very personal but I am just wondering if anyone has got the Novasure procedure done? My periods are getting heavier and now I am severely anaemic. My iron levels keep dropping and so the gyno I am under has told me I will need an iron infusion. But if my iron levels drop any further, I will need a blood transfusion. My skin, hair and nails have really been affected because of this. I have had ultrasounds done and they have found some cysts and my endometrial wall is very thick. At this stage, they have ruled out cancer because of my age - I am 40. So the gyno has said I cannot have another heavy period due to the iron loss. So in the next week I either have to get a Mirena or the Novasure procedure done. She said it is up to me but she would like to do a laparoscopy on me as there is a good chance I have endometriosis (it runs in my Mum's family). I am off to see the gastroenterologist next week to make sure it is not a stomach ulcer or something in my intestines re the blood loss. I am leaning towards the Novasure procedure but just wanted to know if anyone has had it done with success.......or not. Many thanks.

Oh Hun that is rough ! I haven't had either but I've had the iron infusions over a year and it made a huge difference , I have the opposite of endo i have the ado one its in the outside of the uterus so the blood can't escape :( I haven't heard great things about the mirena I was advised by my gynaecologist to steer clear as I could bleed more it was risky , I do hope you find a solution soon very soon 

I use to get my periods every two weeks when I was young and it was having a huge impact on my life. I was going to my GP at that time telling him something was right he kept telling me "I was two young for cancer" I was 23 years old. Finally after constant pushing he referred me to the hospital and three months on a waiting list finally had a biopsy, I was in surgery less then one week later, I had C2 cells(pre cancer), endometrioses, cysts. While I had the surgery they put the Merina in, since then I have seen gyno before trying for children and wanted to see if my endo had grown back and it hadn't, I've had no problem with the Mirena for 10 years and thats having them taken out for kids and put straight back in after the last child. If you have endo in the family I would do the Laparoscopy, I'm not sure on the Novasure so let us know how it goes

Thanks so much ladies for your replies. I really appreciate it! I have been feeling overwhelmed by it all as I thought a lot of the symptoms I was getting were just because I hit 40 years old. But the gyno said that I am just too young to have these symptoms. I am thankful my GP and gyno have been quite proactive. The Novasure procedure is where my lining of the uterus has radio frequency energy delivered to it.  It's done under general anaesthetic. It either really lightens the periods or I won't get them any more. Because I am 40 and won't be having any more kids, I am a perfect candidate. The procedure makes you infertile. I am really sick of having such heavy periods and feeling so low in energy. I see another doctor tomorrow to discuss the iron infusion. That is good to hear Katewell that you felt much better after the infusion. Goodness Boobalicious and Kim, you have both had tough paths with your periods.

I may ask about the novasure im having a hystapoctomy I can't spell it lol have some biopsy done I been getting heavy bleeds every 2 weeks and ovulation is a croc it hurts and sex can be very painful yet all my paps are clear :( keep us updated and in the meantime please get a iron infusion they are so good x

Thanks Lauren. I think like anything as you said it is good to research things before making a solid decision. I try to also listen to my gut instinct. When I saw the Mirena when the gyno showed me a sample, I instantly thought "this is not for me". I am sure it is perfect for some ladies, but I am very cautious about having something like that placed inside of me. :)

Hi I was advised to get the mirena as I have a problem with iron levels on my time of the month. 

Mir was awful. I did not stop bleeding for nearly 3 months - I had to get pills to actually stop me from bleeding that I was on and off for 5weeks. When I even stopped bleeding I felt extremely pregnant. Not bloated like actually pregnant. I felt more pregnant on the mirena than when I was actually pregnant. After 6 months of having it in I could not take it anymore. I was so hormonal it was driving me crazy. 

Felt so so good to get it out. 

Now I am not on any contraception (hubby has now had the snip) and I just take iron tablets a couple of days before I'm due on. 

now that I'm not on any contraception I find that my iron levels are SO much better and easier to maintain. Although some months are better than others. 

If it keeps getting worse though Iv to go back and try other methods to sort it. I'm 29 btw. 

Thanks for sharing your experience Heather. Gosh bleeding for 3 months would have completely drained you! Being a woman with these things is not fun.

I am off to talk to another doctor this morning about having my iron infusion. He apparently needs to do another blood test to see where my iron levels are at the moment. Then he will know how much iron to give to me. I had a dizzy spell in the shower last night and had to sit on the bottom of the recess for a bit. Now this morning I have woken up feeling like I am hungover despite not drinking any alcohol. I cannot wait to get all of this sorted!

Had my surgery plus iron infusion last Thursday. Day 5 of operation and feeling way more human now! I went for a very slow, short walk this afternoon after being inside for 5 days. Felt so good. Gyno thinks she found endometriosis so I see her next Monday for my first post operative appointment. :)

Had my surgery plus iron infusion last Thursday. Day 5 of operation and feeling way more human now! I went for a very slow, short walk this afternoon after being inside for 5 days. Felt so good. Gyno thinks she found endometriosis so I see her next Monday for my first post operative appointment. :)

what op did you have done in the end ? Hope the infusions are helping 💜

Oh sorry - I forgot to mention that! I went for the endometrial ablation (novasure procedure). Plus I had a laparoscopy and also iron infusion. The gyno couldn't guarantee whether I've have no periods or only light periods once I heal. But anything is better than what I have been going through with my very heavy periods.

I went to see my gyno yesterday for my first post op consult. She is happy with how I am healing. It was endometriosis near my left uterus but it was in the early stages of it which is good. She feels she cut it all out. I have to see her in March to discuss how my periods are going and if I am still in pain. I just have to be very careful with not doing too much because she said if I overdo things or go back to heavy exercise too early I could give myself a hernia. So I am listening to what she said. Thanks for all of your support. x

Update - nearly 7 months after my endometrial ablation and I am still having troubles. The gynaecologist has deemed my operation unsuccessful as I never stopped my heavy periods at all. She found endometriosis which she cut out. I have decided to go for a 2nd opinion recently and the gynaecologist I saw for this said the first gynaecologist may have been inexperienced with the Nova sure machine as she can't work out why it failed. The recent ultrasound showed that I still have 9mm lining in my womb when there should be none. There is so much going on in my body that the 2nd gynaecologist said I am a complex case. My pelvic pain and hormonal headaches have increased since the Novasure. I wished I had never had the operation.

Oh I feel so bad for you thats awful, you go in and get something like that done really having faith that they know what they are doing and are helping you. You don't expect to come out worse. 

I have endomentriosis and have been advised to get it cut out and have the ablation then go on birth control for the rest of my life which i won't do because it makes me crazier than I already am!! So the next option and the one the doc is pushing for is a hysterectomy because my uterus is tilted the wrong way after kids which is adding to my pain. But I don't want that because of hormonal issues afterwards too.

We can't win!! 

I really hope that your new doctor can help you its horrible being in pain, i feel lucky i don't get headaches. Do you think that you will let this new doctor try again?

Thanks Win for your beautiful words. The first gyno was all gung ho that if the Pill did not work, then I would need a hysterectomy. She never wanted to explore why I was still in so much pain or why I was getting a lot of clear vaginal discharge pouring out of me at times - sorry TMI! She just wanted to put me on the Pill. Long story short, I think she did something to me accidentally during the ablation and laparoscopy surgery. But the 2nd gyno is saying that to have a hysterectomy is a major surgery and one that can have major side effects. The organs inside the body need to readjust once a hysterectomy is done, so that can present a woman with more problems. The 1st gyno put me on the Pill and I bled for 6 weeks straight - not spotting but actual bleeding. So in the end I took myself off the Pill. Now I am back to square one with feeling faint again, feeling tired, pelvic pain all of the time and feeling headachy. My gut feeling says to let the 2nd gyno to operate on me and hopefully she can give me some solid answers. She said she has done over 5000 ablations. She also has a research assistant and gets what she researches published. So she sounds much more experienced than the 1st gyno. She also said that endometriosis can present in different ways in the body so the 1st gyno may have missed some. The 2nd gyno said my symptoms suggest I still have endometriosis. Why is the woman's body so complicated??