What are you using on your scars??

Sjay

I have to remove my dressings on Friday, I will see my incision scars for the first time so I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. My ps hasn't told me to use anything in particular on my scars, so I was wondering what everyone is using? Which products work/don't work?? Best products for making the scar as neat as possible...

Edited by Sjay

Saw my surgeon for my 6 week check up today and he said to use Fixomull tape 24/7 for 3 months. You only replace it as it starts to peel off (I'm getting a couple of weeks out of each application). He said not to worry about oils and creams - he reckons that the tape does the best job in the first instance. But I can use whatever I like (and massage) once I no longer need to use the tape. 

But that's just one opinion. I've heard of others having success with silicone tape, bio oil etc, but I will do what I'm told for now ?

I'm wondering if I should invest I'm still using the micropore at moment had a few days of used the strataderm just find it messy and I'm so impatient to wait for drying time ?

I'd use the tape over gel but I honestly think that all it did was help the scars feel flat & soft. It didn't do anything for the colour. But the sheeting is heaps easier to use than the gels. ?

I think the same, the tape is really easy.  I never used the gel, but the drying time would be a pain.  Also I liked to have something over my scars and I felt like the tape gave them that little bit of protection aswel.  I make sure that my scars are never in sunlight and when I had spray tans for the 1st few months I always made sure they were totally covered.

Ittybittyk my PS is requiring me to start using fixomull..  I'm not sure if its this Monday when I have my first post op appointment or the next appointment, but I have to purchase it myself. Did you buy your own? How much did it cost? And do you feel like it's doing a good job?

Hey Huck, I got lucky and my PS gave me a small stash, but the rate I'm going through it probably means that I won't come close to using it all. He said not to replace it until it starts to fall off and the longer it stays on the better. It's supposed to help support the scar and prevent any pulling which may stretch the scar and cause it to become misshapen. I've found it really easy to use because it dries really quickly after showering and I love that I only have to tend to it every 4 weeks or so. I did check out Chemist Warehouse and I think they had it for around $20. But it should be stacks - you shouldn't have to buy more than one packet. A good low maintenance option I reckon!

Hey Huck, I got lucky and my PS gave me a small stash, but the rate I'm going through it probably means that I won't come close to using it all. He said not to replace it until it starts to fall off and the longer it stays on the better. It's supposed to help support the scar and prevent any pulling which may stretch the scar and cause it to become misshapen. I've found it really easy to use because it dries really quickly after showering and I love that I only have to tend to it every 4 weeks or so. I did check out Chemist Warehouse and I think they had it for around $20. But it should be stacks - you shouldn't have to buy more than one packet. A good low maintenance option I reckon!

what size? As I see fixomull stretch in all different sizes